Scores Dead, Wounded; Tourists Held Hostage In Coordinated Mumbai Terror Strikes - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2008, 02:41 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:35 PM
The riots of 1993..... *shudder*

Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post
I have relatives in Mumbai and my immediate family was planning on visiting the motherland this Christmas..

Yikes.
I've been watching this over the last few days. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what's going on.

I truly hope all of your relatives are OK, BD.
My Mom ask me today, when we were watching on CNN, what's it all about and the best I could answer was they wanted hostages from Europe and the US for monetary purposes. .
I haven't seen any other footage since we watched today.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #18
Forum Moderator

^ There isn't a full accounting for yet of all the hostages' nationalities, but the overwhelming majority of them--as well as of the dead and wounded--were Indians. While it's noteworthy and unprecedented (for India) that at least some of the gunmen were apparently particularly interested in taking Westerners hostage, that was clearly not their sole focus.

The various commando operations at the two hotels and the Jewish center are winding down now; I assume by tomorrow the scope of the damages, for lack of a better word, will be fairly clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I'm amazed that the country has been facing terrorist attacks for years and years, long before the US faced it's big one on 9/11 and still there is no department in the govt. against terrorist attacks! ...unless I'm missing something but I haven't heard of one.
No, there's nothing equivalent to Homeland Security; the closest thing to it presently would be the National Security Council. Are you familiar with the Saxena Committee proposals that were drafted after the Kargil War? The utter failure to implement them is a major reason why domestic security, particularly intelligence coordination, is so inadequate.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There's an incredible lack of security there.
My God, I was watching one reporter today who said she was able to walk, nearly into the lobby of the hotel. No one stopped her and they didn't have the area cordoned off. She and her crew moved further back for their own protection because of the explosions that were going off in and around the hotel.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #20
She's the One

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Even I experienced it first hand in 2005 at Mumbai airport where the searching was laughably lax!

It was incredibly ridiculous when I was there this summer.

My hotel was right by the Taj. It was a bit of a freakout to see the Taj on the news this weekend. I was walking around that waterfront area one morning last June, waiting for a ride to the Pilgrim Center. :shudder:
Old 11-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Put that against the mainstream media explanation, which is likely to be:-

"See, I told you dem Islamists are both evil AND incredibly stupid AND dangerous, ohmigod, HYSTERIA!!!".

But, yeah, obviously it's just another coincidence that this happens while the President Elect is deciding on foreign policy.
Having had the chance to research this in a bit more detail, I would probably somewhat roll back on my implication that these attacks were 'false flag'.

I am keeping an open mind, but I do admit of the possibility that it was caused by Islamist terrorists.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

One thing that occurs to me, when I stayed in Malaysia, the second time I went here I stayed in a 5 star (and US hotel group owned) hotel and I did notice the security was tight enough - cars were searched on the way in and there was an armed policewoman on duty all the time INSIDE the hotel.

It does occur to me that these sorts of hotels would be obvious targets, would question the lack of security in India, as other posters already said.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
The Taj Mahal hotel in Mumbai, India, temporarily increased security after being warned of a possible terrorist attack, the chairman of the company that owns the hotel said Saturday.

But Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata said those measures, which were eased shortly before this week's terror attacks, could not have prevented gunmen from entering the hotel.

"If I look at what we had ... it could not have stopped what took place," Tata said in an interview with CNN's Fareed Zakaria that will air Sunday.

"It's ironic that we did have such a warning, and we did have some measures," Tata said, without elaborating on the warning or when security measures were enacted. "People couldn't park their cars in the portico, where you had to go through a metal detector."

However, Tata said the attackers did not enter through the entrance that has a metal detector. Instead, they came in a back entrance, he said.

"They knew what they were doing, and they did not go through the front. All of our arrangements are in the front," he said.

"They planned everything," he said of the attackers. "I believe the first thing they did, they shot a sniffer dog and his handler. They went through the kitchen."
Taj Mahal hotel owner: We had warning - CNN.com
Old 11-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Having had the chance to research this in a bit more detail, I would probably somewhat roll back on my implication that these attacks were 'false flag'.

I am keeping an open mind, but I do admit of the possibility that it was caused by Islamist terrorists.
I blame the British

Quote:
Mumbai terrorists were 'funded by cash raised in UK mosques'

By Mail On Sunday Reporter
Last updated at 12:19 AM on 30th November 2008

A banned Islamic terrorist group funded with cash raised in British mosques is believed to be behind the Mumbai attacks.

Mumbai terrorists were 'funded by cash raised in UK mosques' | Mail Online
Old 11-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #25
Forum Moderator

Quote:
As opposed to...? Bajrang Dal, RSS, Naxalites, LTTE, who? I haven't heard a single commentator, credible or otherwise, suggest these men could be anything but the militant Islamists they presented themselves as, though there are and will likely continue to be debates over to what extent they may have been 'homegrown' vs. Pakistani.

I don't doubt this disaster will occasion increased investment in manpower, equipment and training for police and special forces, and hopefully the woefully underfunded Intelligence Bureau as well. While this wasn't the deadliest terrorism Mumbai has seen--the '93 and '06 bombings were both worse--the singling out of giant hotels frequented by international businessmen, wealthy tourists and their Mumbaikar counterparts was an unprecedentedly direct strike at India's surging economy and rising international status, one they literally can't afford to ignore.

Now, whether they can achieve all that without ratcheting up tensions with Pakistan externally and communal tensions internally to the boiling point...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post
I have relatives in Mumbai and my immediate family was planning on visiting the motherland this Christmas..
Yikes.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

martha

Babydoll & Zoots please update us on your relatives' stituations, ok? :crossesfingers: S
Old 11-30-2008, 05:14 AM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Obviously!

George W. Bush and the Likudniks flamed the hate between India and Pakistan.
Wanderer,

I'm surprised that you would say such a thing.
We had nothing to do with this attack (which was directed against us).
Make no mistake - even if entire world lived in peace, there would STILL be terrorist attacks because that's what the word means....TERROR.

The extremists live for violence and blood and they cannot grasp the concept of living in peace - it's either THEIR way or no way.

As for the "likudniks" flaming hate between India and Pakistan......that's just ridiculous. These two countries have been at odds for years and their rivalry has nothing to do with us.

Israel mourns the loss of hundreds of innocent people slaughtered in this barbaric act of terrorism (including 8 of our citizens).

Report: Mumbai terrorist says mission specifically targeted Israelis - Haaretz - Israel News
Old 11-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Never forget the beauty of irony

It seems plausible that the anti-Jewish ideology, reinforced with theological justification, of Islamist groups would be a factor in attacking Nariman House, but that shouldn't mean we can't softly mock the stereotypical "Jews run the world" conspiracy theories (and before I have to defend that mockery the irony of the statement works both ways).

Justifying humour is never funny
Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Never forget the beauty of irony

It seems plausible that the anti-Jewish ideology, reinforced with theological justification, of Islamist groups would be a factor in attacking Nariman House, but that shouldn't mean we can't softly mock the stereotypical "Jews run the world" conspiracy theories (and before I have to defend that mockery the irony of the statement works both ways).

Justifying humour is never funny

I'm terribly sorry.......I didn't know you were being humorous.
Please forgive me....