Scientologists aren't any weirder than you are - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 AM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Scientology is weird. I'll feel this way until a Scientologist is willing to kindly explain why they/it is not. Many people feel this way. Tolerance be damned. I owe them nothing. They, on the other hand, need to account for what few views they do express so frighteningly in public - and with such a beacon of respectability in Tom Cruise.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:08 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:13 AM
I've known one scientologist in my life. He was weird.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Religions, interestingly, evolve organically. how ironic. But true. There would have been no Christianity if there had not first been Judaism. And its spiritual precursors. Yeah, just not the same as L. Ron Hubbard writing a religion for fun and profit.

I think Scientology has at least as much in common with multi-level marketing as it does with 'religion'.
Considering the fact that the pursuit of the almighty dollar is now pretty much “a religion” unto itself, it's not that far off when you think about it...
Old 08-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:13 PM
Scientology isn't a religion. At this point it's more or less a networking club for Hollywood folks.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:13 AM
For all of you who don't call it a religion, what does it lack? What constitutes a religion for you?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

old guys in robes?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #22
The Male

Local Time: 05:13 AM

I can't believe no one has brought up the Movementarians. They're at least as legit as Scientology.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Scientologists Descend on Minneapolis Collapse Site
Church Says It's There to Help, but Critics See Ulterior Motives
By MARCUS BARAM

MINNEAPOLIS, Aug. 3 —

They're ubiquitous at almost every disaster zone, assisting the wounded and consoling grieving families, from Ground Zero to Indonesia to New Orleans and now Minneapolis.

The Church of Scientology and its globetrotting team of volunteer ministers have been active over the last several years, arousing the ire of critics who read unholy motives into the group's charitable works.

Soon after Wednesday's bridge collapse, at least 20 Scientology volunteers in Minneapolis and surrounding areas headed to the disaster zone, according to a spokeswoman for the church.

"They're helping the Red Cross, helping with logistical organization -- food, directing traffic and one-on-one counseling," the church's Karin Pouw told ABCNews.com.

The call to action was typical for the controversial church, which sent 20 ministers to console survivors of the Virginia Tech shooting, at least 800 volunteers including celebrity adherents John Travolta and Kirstie Alley to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina, and teams of therapists to assist Ground Zero rescue workers at the World Trade Center site.

The church says that its yellow-shirted 95,000 ministers around the world perform good deeds out of a sense of charity.

Sometimes they hand out "The Way to Happiness," a pamphlet written by the church's founder, L. Ron Hubbard, and offer a forms of therapy called "touch assists" and "nerve assists."

But critics accuse the church of using these disasters to convert people at their most vulenrable moments to their religion.

Longtime critic Rick Ross, who runs a watchdog Web site, cultnews.net, maintains that the church milks human tragedy to promote itself.

After the church's volunteers headed down to Blacksburg, Va., to assist survivors of the shooting massacre, Ross told the New York Daily News that he was skeptical of their motives.

"They did this at Ground Zero [after 9/11]," Ross told the paper. "They did this in New Orleans [after Hurricane Katrina]. They look for very high-profile disasters that can be milked for photo ops" to promote the Church.

After 9/11, the church received a commendation from the New York Fire Department for its relief efforts, but critics accused it of applying therapies such as rhythmic massages that some mental health professionals considered medically dubious.

"The public needs to understand that the Scientologists are using this tragedy to recruit new members," Michael M. Faenza, the president of the National Mental Health Association said in 2001. "They are not providing mental health assistance."

In Minneapolis, the group said it's working with the Red Cross. Yet members of the Red Cross working at the disaster zone questioned by ABC News weren't aware of the Church's assistance.

"We will stay in Minneapolis as long as help is needed," said church spokeswoman Pouw.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:13 PM
As much as I despise Scientology... sorry, but you'll see members of every church at places where a tragedy happened. And there are always people hoping for some to join their religion (which isn't to say that everyone hopes for it, but so it is with Scientologists).
Old 08-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
Scientology isn't a religion. At this point it's more or less a networking club for Hollywood folks.

what qualifies or disqualifies something from the status of a "religion"? who gets to determine that?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #26
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

what qualifies or disqualifies something from the status of a "religion"? who gets to determine that?
It's a good question, huh. I was giving it a bit of thought when bvs posed the question, too, being one who thinks it isn't a Church. So how can I say that? I'll admit I don't really know. I don't know what makes a Church, one of the long standing and respected ones, one, anyway. Is it genuine belief in a god and teachings of good? Or at least learnings along the path of good and bad, evil and purity, etc. Without bogging down in airy-fairy wankering, is there a god at the heart or core of Scientology? I don't see religion. I do liken that absence to other religions we have today, but I won't keep going on because only more people will be offended.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Without bogging down in airy-fairy wankering, is there a god at the heart or core of Scientology? I don't see religion.
From what I've read, they believe in a Supreme Being and the practitioners of Scientology have as their goal spiritual enlightenment, but they don't "worship" God because they don't feel that humans can truly worship God until they've attained enlightenment. They respect the Bible as the teachings of Jesus Christ and have no argument with it, much as, say, the Buddhists accept Jesus and the Bible. They say they welcome all denominations, so that one can be a Catholic Scientologist, for example. They are, in my opinion, the very definition of a religion, no better and no worse than Christianity.

Truth be told, I probably respect Scientology more than Christianity.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Well...there's a fine line that can be drawn here. I mean, the Catholics used to charge "indulgences" as means of penance, right?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
But critics accuse the church of using these disasters to convert people at their most vulnerable moments to their religion.

Longtime critic Rick Ross, who runs a watchdog Web site, cultnews.net, maintains that the church milks human tragedy to promote itself.
I think we've effectively described every "religious charity" here, which is why most non-Christians are quite suspicious of government-funded "faith-based initiatives."
Old 01-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:13 PM
SCIENTOLOGY IS DANGEROUS - What Would Tyler Durden Do

Quote:
SCIENTOLOGY IS DANGEROUS 5.11.2007
Quote:
For years the rumor has been that Jett Travolta, the now 14-year-old son of John Travolta and Kelly Preston, is autistic. Unfortunately for Jett, autism is not recognized by the Church of Scientology, of which Preston and Travolta are both prominent members. The Travolta's instead say he suffers from Kawasaki syndrome, an illness characterized by high fever, painful rash, lymph-node swelling and street legal rice-rockets. Four years ago, Kelly got out her hounds-tooth coat and pipe and giant magnifying glass and used her sleuthiness to determine that the cause was environmental toxins. Specifically, carpet cleaning chemicals. Then Kelly used a Scientology endorsed program created by L. Ron Hubbard to cure him. And it worked! No, wait, did I say, "it worked"? I meant to say, "it failed completely!"
Quote:
I say we give the Scientology method a few more years to kick in. Soon, Jett will be dead. Ta-da!