Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Saudi Woman Beats Up Religious Policeman

Quote:
An angry young Saudi Arabian woman has left her mark on a religious policeman who approached her for illegally socializing with an unmarried young man.

According to the Saudi daily Okaz, the woman strongly objected to the policeman's interference and repeatedly punched him so hard that he ended up in the hospital with bruises to his face and body.

The couple, believed to be in their 20s, were strolling through an amusement park in the city of Al-Mubarraz when the policeman asked them to confirm their relationship to one another.

==========================================================
"To see resistance from a woman means a lot," Wajiha Al-Huwaidar, a Saudi women's rights activist, told The Media Line News Agency, The Post reported.

"People are fed up with these religious police, and now they have to pay the price for the humiliation they put people through for years and years," she was quoted as saying. "This is just the beginning and there will be more resistance."

"The media and the Internet have given people a lot of power and the freedom to express their anger," she added. Whatever the religious police do ends up all over the Internet, she said, which gives them "a horrible reputation and gives people power to react."
Niiiiice! Go her!

I'd just like to share this with everyone. It brightened my day in a sense.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:58 AM
On the one hand, I have to say that violence isn't the answer.

On the other hand, YOU GO, LADY!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 10:58 AM
And she wasn't even a cougar
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

another race to the bottom with women acting like men because they feel they have to live up to some warped feminist ideal that tells them that the only way to be equal is to imitate the worst behaviors of men rather than embracing their essential, virtuous femininity.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

te-he,
ha ha

we will see how this story ends

Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Gotta admit, I had that thought. We heard that this woman fought back against this guy .... but what happened to her next? What will happen to her?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

The Kingdom must preserve God's law.

Allowing things like this to happen will only empower the BinLadens of the world.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
She's the One

I our oil overlords allies.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
te-he,
ha ha

we will see how this story ends

Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:28 AM
I was going to post an Arabic female power ballad from the 80's but I couldn't really think of any off the top of my head. But this cheered me up - in a very bittersweet way, knowing what her outcome will most likely be. I don't know if a domino effect of other Saudi women fighting back against these fuckwits and sacrificing themselves would help the cause, though.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
She's the One

Somebody's got to start somewhere, and I admire her courage and willingness to stand up.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Somebody's got to start somewhere, and I admire her courage and willingness to stand up.
I do too....but, at the same time. I worry for her safety.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
New Yorker

The article made it sound like she was beating up the policeman only when she was asked to confirm their relationship. That's probably not the whole story. But if that's true, I can't say I agree with the way she handled the matter. Precisely because the chauvinistic men in power can use this and turn around and say these are the kind of people who need to be punished.

I'd rather go with someone like Hissa Hilal as the right example.

Islamic law is often portrayed negatively because what is implemented in Saudi Arabia sometimes doesn't conform to today's standards of humanitarian rights. I agree some of them are very strict, and some of them may not make sense when applied to today's society. The Islamic laws I know are very protective of female, but sometimes they have been misinterpreted as restricting us of various activities. There are different factions of the religion (with lazy, chauvinistic males in power in my opinion) or cultures that choose to interpret them and twist them such that they restrict and punish women.

A progressive society challenges these interpretations of the laws and make adjustments to fit today's situations. What's good (or bad depending on who you talk to) is that we don't have ONE governing body that determines which interpretations to follow, equivalent to the Vatican. Islam encourages us to use The Koran, the Hadith (narrations of the deeds and sayings of Prophet Muhammad) to guide us in making our interpretation of the laws. We have scholars from renowned foundations and universities who have come up with their interpretations. We can choose whether to follow them or not. Ultimately, our obligation is to God, and to follow His words in the Koran. Which is why the Koran is preserved in the Arabic language, just the way it was revealed to Prophet Muhammad. And people who said that they’ve read the Koran, when they meant reading a translation of it, cannot claim that they’ve read it. But that’s another argument that would take me pages to explain and I’d rather not go into.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjacqb View Post
Islamic law is often portrayed negatively because what is implemented in Saudi Arabia sometimes doesn't conform to today's standards of humanitarian rights. I agree some of them are very strict, and some of them may not make sense when applied to today's society. The Islamic laws I know are very protective of female
Which ones? Because I get the impression that the Islamic laws meant to protect women from such things as rape or sexual harassment put the blame on women when they do experience those things.

Quote:
Which is why the Koran is preserved in the Arabic language, just the way it was revealed to Prophet Muhammad.
I saw a program on National Geographic some time ago that says the Koran is not as preserved as some believe. Some scholars came across a Koran from around the year 600 that had different passages than the Koran of today. Meaning, just as the Bible has changed over the years, so has the Koran. A book was written about that, but the authors had to use pseudonyms and had to go into hiding because radicals were threatening to kill them.

Here's a link to the show:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...-3466/Overview
Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The article made it sound like she was beating up the policeman only when she was asked to confirm their relationship. That's probably not the whole story. But if that's true, I can't say I agree with the way she handled the matter. Precisely because the chauvinistic men in power can use this and turn around and say these are the kind of people who need to be punished.

I'd rather go with someone like Hissa Hilal as the right example.

Islamic law is often portrayed negatively because what is implemented in Saudi Arabia sometimes doesn't conform to today's standards of humanitarian rights. I agree some of them are very strict, and some of them may not make sense when applied to today's society. The Islamic laws I know are very protective of female, but sometimes they have been misinterpreted as restricting us of various activities. There are different factions of the religion (with lazy, chauvinistic males in power in my opinion) or cultures that choose to interpret them and twist them such that they restrict and punish women.

A progressive society challenges these interpretations of the laws and make adjustments to fit today's situations. What's good (or bad depending on who you talk to) is that we don't have ONE governing body that determines which interpretations to follow, equivalent to the Vatican. Islam encourages us to use The Koran, the Hadith (narrations of the deeds and sayings of Prophet Muhammad) to guide us in making our interpretation of the laws. We have scholars from renowned foundations and universities who have come up with their interpretations. We can choose whether to follow them or not. Ultimately, our obligation is to God, and to follow His words in the Koran. Which is why the Koran is preserved in the Arabic language, just the way it was revealed to Prophet Muhammad. And people who said that they’ve read the Koran, when they meant reading a translation of it, cannot claim that they’ve read it. But that’s another argument that would take me pages to explain and I’d rather not go into.

vjacqb

thanks for taking time to write a reply in here.

I am sure we have many more Muslims reading our remarks in here.

It is good to get a point of view from someone closer to the culture,
than just hearing impressions from many of us here in the West.

I did recently learn about Hissa Hilal

perhaps her popularity will lead to some dialogue and moderation

you may be familiar with the expression: "Speaking truth to power"

Quote:

The Arab world's version of "American Idol" isn't about singing at all. It's about poetry. Contestants on the Abu Dhabi TV show "Million's Poet" recite verse in their quest for a top prize of over $1 million. In a part of the world where poets are as famous as rock stars, the show celebrates odes to family, soccer and life in the desert.

Hissa Hilal appears on Arabian television show despite inevitable scorn.But at this week's finale of "Million's Poet" was an amazing sight: A woman was one of five finalists, reciting her controversial poetry in a full niqab. Hissa Hilal, is a 43-year-old mother of four from Saudi Arabia who watches the world through slits in her niqab. She used the stage – and her poetry – to send a message, slamming conservative Muslim clerics who she says unfairly separate men and women, spread extremism and give Islam a bad name.