"Sarah Palin is no dummy" - Firm Obama Supporter - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
It's about bloody time that a sane voice from the left attempts to examine this.
Except Camille Paglia isn't part of the modern left, if she can be considered leftist at all. Her views mostly remind me of "East Coast Straussianism" (although I don't think she's influenced specifically by him, but perhaps that of some of his students), which is highly critical of the "liberal establishment" without being tied to right-wing religious conservatism as the "West Coast Straussianism" tends to be, but with less intellectual discipline.

She's interesting in itself, but yolland probably has it right in that Paglia's best description is that of an "academic shock jock." She'll say anything, if it means infuriating and breaking out of convention.
__________________

__________________
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #17
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 2,451
Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Except Camille Paglia isn't part of the modern left, if she can be considered leftist at all. Her views mostly remind me of "East Coast Straussianism" (although I don't think she's influenced specifically by him, but perhaps that of some of his students), which is highly critical of the "liberal establishment" without being tied to right-wing religious conservatism as the "West Coast Straussianism" tends to be, but with less intellectual discipline.

She's interesting in itself, but yolland probably has it right in that Paglia's best description is that of an "academic shock jock." She'll say anything, if it means infuriating and breaking out of convention.
Well, good for her then. Both sides need a good kick in the ass sometimes.
__________________

__________________
Harry Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
Well, good for her then. Both sides need a good kick in the ass sometimes.
But if just for the sake of... then it's not very "sane".
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
But if just for the sake of... then it's not very "sane".
It's perfectly rational, injecting a dissenting opinion prevents group think.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 08:03 PM
... and might generate income.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 05:03 AM
I see no problem with either.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:46 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 08:03 PM
Exceptions prove the rule, but in general dissenting voices should be welcome.
However, some dissenters come across pretty insane.
__________________

__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com