Sarah Palin, continued.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Narcisstic" is a polite word for what that article shows Sarah to be. Ho. Ly. Crap. If even half of the stuff about her is true, and if Wasilla's residents, and the people of Alaska at large, are that nervous about speaking up about her, I despise her even more now (and feel really bad for Alaskans in the process).

That Monseur lady sounds like a real charmer, too. I'm alternately disturbed by and oddly curious about this C4P blog. Won't post on it, god, no (I clearly wouldn't last, anyway, as it seems), but I may check it out just to see it with my own eyes.

She’s glad to be here with the people of Independence, Missouri, “where so many of you proudly cling to your guns and your religion”—the first laughline in a 40-minute stump speech that alludes to many of the perceived insults she and her audience have suffered together

Ahaha. Yeah. That's hilarious, that is.

It's an "insult" to point out that some people are disturbingly overzealous in their love of both? To point out the slight hypocrisy in religious people even owning guns in the first place? News to me.

Palin waves her scribbled-on palm to the crowd, proclaiming that she’s using “the poor man’s teleprompter.”

*Sigh* This is irritating because it wasn't so much the fact you wrote on your hand, dear-people do that all the time, that's not a big deal. No, it was the fact that you made fun of Obama for using prompters when you yourself did the very same thing, just with a different tool! Sheesh (well, and the fact that what you DID write on your hand was so general and simple that it shouldn't be that necessary to prompt yourself to talk about it).

Of the Obama administration, she says, “They talk down to us. Especially here in the heartland. Oh, man. They think that, if we were just smart enough, we’d be able to understand their policies. And I so want to tell ’em, and I do tell ’em, Oh, we’re plenty smart, oh yeah—we know what’s goin’ on. And we don’t like what’s goin’ on. And we’re not gonna let them tell us to sit down and shut up.”

Well, I'm going to tell you: Sit down and shut up. Please. I live in the heartland. I grew up in the heartland. For god's sake, I know more about what's going on than you do, Sarah. Which is sad. You are the one who talks down to me, and to everyone else here in "middle America". I know, I know, Obama may be a scary "elitest", but he actually talks to people like they're intelligent beings capable of complex thought.

“Half the stuff that comes out of her mouth she doesn’t even mean.”-Todd Palin

“You’re just putting on a show. You’re so fake,” one of the children said when Palin made a point of praying in front of other people. “This is not who you are. Why are you pretending to be something you’re not?”

Sadly, her family, of all people, seems to sum it up perfectly.

Of course, she's not the first politician to act this way, nor will she be the last. And hell, I like Obama, but you can easily find examples, be they created by himself or others, of myth and self-absorption and such. But she's easily one of the most grating examples of this phenomenon. And, again, the fact that she's a woman makes it even more disheartening, because women have fought so hard to be taken seriously and be respected and seen as smart. She flushes all that hard work down the toilet.

Angela

The only thing that's terrifying is that it, in the end, doesn't mean anything. That article's not going to convince anyone one way or the other, I don't think. People seem pretty set on their opinions of Palin.

True, but I was frightened that someone that shallow, stupid and apparently a little crazy, inspires such rabid devotion.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it's scary nonetheless.

well, to be completely fair, Obama basically came out of nowhere and inspired similair rabid devotion a couple of years ago.

If he were doing a better job today, and i wish he was, perhaps the half term former governor of Alaska would be merely a footnote in history.

True, but I was frightened that someone that shallow, stupid and apparently a little crazy, inspires such rabid devotion.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it's scary nonetheless.

Sleazy, glib, speechifying Chicago-machine lawyers, on the other hand, are A-OK.

well, to be completely fair, Obama basically came out of nowhere and inspired similair rabid devotion a couple of years ago.

If he were doing a better job today, and i wish he was, perhaps the half term former governor of Alaska would be merely a footnote in history.

How dare you use facts to attack the man's record without mentioning Kenya and Islam. :lol:

plus the horrible economy; unemployment figures, housing market, etc...
You can make plenty of arguments questioning Obama's decision making, but the difference is that I feel like he's a competent person with competent people around him. I feel like I could have reasonable discourse with him.

I have none of those feelings of respect for Palin.

You can make plenty of arguments questioning Obama's decision making, but the difference is that I feel like he's a competent person with competent people around him. I feel like I could have reasonable discourse with him.

The Vanity Fair piece could not have been written about Obama. He's smart, sane, and reasonably consistent.

Palin is obviously vacuous, unbalanced, and clearly a charade.

I have none of those feelings of respect for Palin.

Aside from Hillary Clinton, who around him (Obama) is competent? Geithner can't seem to pay his taxes, Rahm is a very questionable character, and Biden still thinks this is the "summer of recovery" despite the fact that we are deep in a recession. I would really like to think that Obama himself is competent, but everytime i look he seems to be on some type of vacation (at the taxpayers' expense).

Bottom line, im sort of disappointed in Obama, and ive almost come to the conclusion that he's ready to get his one term over with so he can retire and have a good life.

I don't think that Palin would be any better, for that matter.

Aside from Hillary Clinton, who around him (Obama) is competent? Geithner can't seem to pay his taxes, Rahm is a very questionable character, and Biden still thinks this is the "summer of recovery" despite the fact that we are deep in a recession. I would really like to think that Obama himself is competent, but everytime i look he seems to be on some type of vacation (at the taxpayers' expense).

Bottom line, im sort of disappointed in Obama, and ive almost come to the conclusion that he's ready to get his one term over with so he can retire and have a good life.

I don't think that Palin would be any better, for that matter.
I feel the opposite. I feel like the image that Obama's done very little is just that, an image, and that he's accomplished quite a bit, more than I expected him to.

Huffington Post

The author of the blistering Vanity Fair profile on Sarah Palin says he wanted to write a positive piece, but was shocked by what he learned as he researched his story.

"The worst stuff isn't even in there," Michael Joseph Gross said on "Morning Joe" Thursday. "I couldn't believe these stories either when I first heard them, and I started this story with a prejudice in her favor. I have a lot in common with this woman. I'm a small-town person, I'm a Christian, I think that a lot of her criticisms of the media actually have something to them. And I think she got a bum ride, but everybody close to her tells the same story."

In the profile, Gross paints Palin as an abusive, retaliatory figure with an extreme ability to lie.

"This is a person for whom there is no topic too small to lie about," he said. "She lies about everything."

Asked about Palin's political future, Gross said it depends on what the media lets her get away with.

"If we decide to let her keep lying and getting away with it, she's gonna still be around," he said. "But if we start returning to the standard that a politician has to talk with people, and a politician has to tell the truth, then she's outta here, because she can't stand up to that."

Gross added that he takes exception to criticisms that he wrote a "hit piece" against Palin.

"I started this with every good intention toward her," he said. "I was just shocked and appalled at every step at what I found. And I wrote this story sort of against my will. It wasn't what I wanted to write, it wasn't what I wanted to find. It was what was forced on me by the facts."

The Vanity Fair piece could not have been written about Obama. He's smart, sane, and reasonably consistent.

Palin is obviously vacuous, unbalanced, and clearly a charade.

I've been thinking about this a lot since I read the article--trying to imagine a similar piece written about Obama, and how I would react to it. How much of my acceptance of the article as true has do with my disagreement with Palin on virtually every issue and the low regard I have for her as a public figure? If a similar portrayal of Obama were written, would I dismiss it as a "hit piece."

After giving some thought, I came to the conclusion that while I'd be disappointed by an article that portrayed Obama as calculating, scheming, super-ambitious, and egotistical, I wouldn't dismiss it out-of-hand as biased. (Not saying that he is that way--just saying that such critcisms don't automatically scream "bias!"). Furthermore, these criticisms don't necessarily make Palin worse than any other politician.

However, I can't imagine an Obama article that would describe a person as negative, hateful, and cynical as Palin. I don't think an article could accurately describe him as being as concerned with being the center of attention as this article describes her. I don't think an article about Obama could accurately describe him as being as such a mysterious, guarded public figure. And Obama doesn't have the record of public gaffes and missteps that Palin does.

I think it would be safe to assume that no-one from either side or background could make it anywhere near even being considered candidate level for that job (President - or anything near it) without being super-ambitious, demanding, calculating, and likely highly, highly egotistical.

I think it would be safe to assume that no-one from either side or background could make it anywhere near even being considered candidate level for that job (President - or anything near it) without being super-ambitious, demanding, calculating, and likely highly, highly egotistical.

I agree with that. Some are just better at concealing it than others.

It's just more fodder for victimhood for her, which seems to work in her favor.

Huffington Post

If you hadn't heard of Sarah Palin when John McCain picked her as his running mate in 2008, you were in good company. Meghan McCain, the outspoken daughter of the GOP presidential nominee, didn't know who she was, either.

"My initial reaction was, 'Who the hell is Sarah Palin?' Like everybody else," the younger McCain revealed on Tuesday night.

In an appearance on "The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno, McCain said that she cried after finding out that her father would run with Palin -- a woman she calls a "time bomb" in her new book, "Dirty Sexy Politics."

With plenty of wild stories in the book, it may come as no surprise that John McCain apparently didn't influence what went into it. He only read it a few days ago and learned some things -- like the revelation that his daughter almost overdosed on Xanax the day before the election. Meghan McCain also dished to Leno about behind-the-scenes dealing with image consultants and the Secret Service, not to mention getting "fired" from her dad's campaign (Leno's term, not her's).

Of course, it's her relationship with Sarah Palin that will spark the most discussion inside the Beltway. "I found out an hour before I went on stage with her," McCain said of the nomination. "I think they were scared I would say something or whatever. Like the rest of the country, I had no idea who she was and I was actually crying on the bus on the way to the rally."

McCain said that at the announcement, "I found out who she was, and I remember being on stage and distinctly thinking, 'God, let her not have any skeletons in the closet. Please God.' And if you see any video footage of it, I looked panicked."

Asked if Palin is likely to run for President in 2012, McCain said she wasn't sure. "I don't know if doing a reality show is necessarily the most presidential behavior. But Obama made anything possible, so I don't know."

McCain dodged a question about whether she would actually vote for Palin if nominated, making it clear she didn't want her to get that far. "I'm Team Romney."

With the release of her book, Meghan McCain has opened up significantly compared to 2009, when she said that, "Sarah Palin is the only part of the campaign that I won't comment on publicly."

ABC News’ Devin Dwyer reports: Christine O’Donnell, the Sarah Palin and Tea Party backed candidate, dealt a stunning blow to the Republican establishment Tuesday night, defeating the moderate, party-favorite veteran Rep. Mike Castle in the Delaware GOP senate primary.
With 99 percent of precincts reporting as of 9:21 pm, O’Donnell had 53.2 percent of the vote to Castle’s 46.8 percent. AP projected O’Donnell the winner.
Castle’s impending loss immediately casts doubt on GOP chances of winning the senate seat, which had been held by Democrat Joe Biden for 36 years, and could close the door on a Republican effort to gain control of the Senate in November.
Unlike Alaska, where conservative lawyer Joe Miller shocked Republicans by defeating sitting Sen. Lisa Murkowski in last month's primary, Delaware is a heavily Democratic state and recent polls have shown O’Donnell would face a much more difficult race against Democrat Chris Coons than would Castle.
The question now is whether the Republican establishment, which has spent weeks trashing O’Donnell, will go to bat for her in the race against Coons and whether the intraparty attacks will hurt her candidacy in the general election.
Christine O’Donnell, Tea Party Shock GOP Establishment in Delaware - The Note

Ugh. I can't stand Christine O'Donnell. Not because she is associated with Palin, but because I've seen her on Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect several times and she annoys me. Her views on sex and homosexuality are so archaic, its like she wants us to be in the Victorian era. Now that she has won in Delaware's primary, I'm concerned that she will win in the November election - which I am hoping and praying she does not. It's also scary people actually like her.

I don't know if this is the right place to rant about O'Donnell, but I figured since she's associated with Palin, this was the thread for it.

For those who do not know her, here's a good article about her:
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/09/odonnells-greatest-hits.php

PH2010091407011.jpg

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42172.html

she was the longest of long shots in today's contest

she is not supposed to have a chance in Nov

will she upset, then also

The reason that you don't tell [people] that masturbation is the answer to AIDS and all these other problems that come with sex outside of marriage is because again it is not addressing the issue. ... You're just gonna create somebody who is, I was gonna say, toying with his sexuality. Pardon the pun.

Huh?

I've heard a bit about her on TV. Um. Yeeeeeeeeeah. If she thinks Bush is "too liberal", then that's kind of frightening. And I'm so glad she feels the need to stand up there and spread rumors and make presumptions about other people's sexuality. For someone who has such strict views about the topic, she sure seems to spend a lot of time thinking and talking about it. I suddenly envision, 2, 3 years down the line, a news story about some sort of sex-related scandal with her. Dunno why on Earth that could be, just a feeling.

Also...

notes voters are tired of "elitist" views.

You know what this particular voter's tired of? This old campaign line.

Angela

I think you'll probably be right. Anyone who is THAT against something, usually has a few skeltons in the closet.

She's probably a very dirty girl.....not that i disapprove ;) heehee

I read an article and i'll have to see if i can find it again, that compared the far right in this country to the taliban. Not even close to saying they're the same thing, but some of the similarities are there.

I'm all for getting some of the incompetent people out of DC, but replacing them with even worse versions doesn't seem to be the answer. And taking out one of the more reasonable republicans is defintely not the way to go.

Nice. Um, not a good idea to be doing things like that on Facebook when your family is just so famous and successful. But like Sarah said during the campaign they have gay people in their family-so I guess that makes it ok? Those screengrabs affirm why I avoid Facebook-high school is looooooong over.

todayshow.com

There might have been 4.96 million people tuned in to the premiere of "Sarah Palin's Alaska" Sunday night, but Sarah Palin's 16-year-old daughter Willow appeared to be on Facebook, where she used an anti-gay slur to counter a critic of the show.

During the premiere, a person named Tre wrote, "Sarah Palin's Alaska is failing so hard right now." The remark prompted Willow to respond "Haha your so gay. I have no idea who you are, But what I've seen pictures of, your disgusting ... My sister has a kid and is still hot." She followed that up with another comment that read, "Tre stfu. Your such a f-----."

Screengrabs of the Facebook accounts block out the last names of Willow and Tre, so there is reason to question the authenticity. However, Bristol Palin (who chimed in to the argument between Tre and Willow) posted an apology Tuesday night on her Facebook account. "Willow and I shouldn't have reacted to negative comments about our family. We apologize. On a nicer note, thank you for supporting the great competition in Dancing with the Stars!"

It's going to be interesting to see her butt heads with the Republican establishment, who will be trying their best to crush her early on during the primaries.

Back
Top Bottom