Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
It is probably quite common to feel this way on both sides of the fence. When Chris Matthews said he was about to "wet his pants" when Obama spoke, I'm sure more than a few conservatives gagged.

He said "wet his pants"?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #62
She's the One

Local Time: 03:29 AM
But was Chris Matthews ever a candidate for vice-president on a major party ticket?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
He said "wet his pants"?
No, the tingle was going 'up' his leg, not down.

Quote:
Last night during MSNBC's Potomac Primary coverage, Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann were discussing Barack Obama's speech. Matthews — who, in the past, has both cried over an Obama speech and compared him to Jesus — described exactly what happens to him when Obama speaks:

"I have to tell you, you know, it's part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama's speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don't have that too often."

perhaps as fair or more fair than claiming Palin said she coiuld see Russia from her back yard.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #64
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

More correct, though I'm not sure he said "thrill".

But what did Palin actually say about Russia? And one is a reporter, and one was the canidate for VP. So is it really "more fair"?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Corrected above
Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
It is probably quite common to feel this way on both sides of the fence. When Chris Matthews said he was about to "wet his pants" when Obama spoke, I'm sure more than a few conservatives gagged.
Point taken-I'd find that a wee (uh...no pun intended...) bit over the line, too.

But like martha said, he's not running for a political office. He can express his opinion, but his opinion won't determine the laws that rule my country. Not to mention, when Obama speaks, he actually says something intelligent. He comes across as a smart man.

Angela
Old 04-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Quote:
There's a rather large difference between one commentator on a network that is widely recognized as biased stating his admiration for a person in a strange way and the former vice presidential candidate who may very well be running for president in two years stating blatant lies with regularity with no other intention than to mislead those in the public who will not fact check her statements.

One is weird and should just be ignored. The other is dangerous and scares me as a citizen.

People who like or agree with Sarah Palin are frightening. There's no other way to put it. She's a woman with a harmfully twisted view, either intentionally or because of lack of intelligence (more likely somewhere in between). For whatever reason, she frequently lies. And people eat it up.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Not to mention, when Obama speaks, he actually says something intelligent. He comes across as a smart man.

Angela
In my opinion, Obama is only great from the script. He can give a good speech. However, off-script, he seems lost, incoherent, and a little slow.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #69
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Do you find any politicians off script to be any good?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Occasionally he can stumble over himself in interviews, yes, and he does speak a bit slow at times...but hey, those qualities didn't stop Bush from being leader for 8 years.

Again, though, even if Obama doesn't always articulate himself properly, though, he still is a smart guy. He still actually has good ideas. There's a train of thought, a line of logic, from point A to point B. PhilsFan articulated my sentiments perfectly .

Angela
Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Again, though, even if Obama doesn't always articulate himself properly, though, he still is a smart guy. He still actually has good ideas. There's a train of thought, a line of logic, from point A to point B.
Angela
Do you think it's possible you feel this way because you agree with what he's saying?

There's a ton of people that watch Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity every night and think 1) he's a smart guy, 2) he has good ideas, 3) they have a train of thought (or a chalkboard), and 4) there's a (chalk)line of logic from point A to point B.

My point is - both sides are filled to the brim with people that think their ideas and spokespeople are logical - and the other side is full of morons.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Do you find any politicians off script to be any good?
Not a fan of Clinton's politics, but I always thought he did well in interviews.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Quote:
In my opinion, Obama is only great from the script. He can give a good speech. However, off-script, he seems lost, incoherent, and a little slow.
Did you see that thing he did with the Republicans where he just took questions? He was phenomenal. It actually blew me away because I kind of felt like you did before that. He's not lost, incoherent or slow at all. Does he stutter more? Sure, because he's giving himself a bit of time to think. But he was just great there.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

You're refering to when he went to the Republican retreat in January, right? That was awesome. I loved that.

Quote:
Do you think it's possible you feel this way because you agree with what he's saying?
No, because I don't always agree with everything he says. He's done a few things thus far in his presidency that I don't personally support. But I still see logical reasoning to why he's doing what he's doing.

I've debated with many a conservative on here before. I didn't agree with their position, but I loved debating them because they were intelligent and logical and respectful in their explanations. It was a good exercise for the brain on both ends.

Quote:
There's a ton of people that watch Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity every night and think 1) he's a smart guy, 2) he has good ideas, 3) they have a train of thought (or a chalkboard), and 4) there's a (chalk)line of logic from point A to point B.
The difference is that you can look at their arguments and see flat out lies mixed in with the stuff they're saying (like Glenn Beck believing Obama has a deep-seeded hatred of white people, or the insinuation that he's friendly with terrorists, or wasn't born in the U.S., or is secretly a Muslim, or whatever else they're willing to throw out there). You may disagree with Obama on an issue, but he's yet to put an outrageously bold-faced lie out to the public.

Quote:
My point is - both sides are filled to the brim with people that think their ideas and spokespeople are logical - and the other side is full of morons.
That I will certainly agree with you on. You're definitely right.

Angela
Old 04-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #75
She's the One

Quote:

Are you equating Beck and Hannity with Obama? Are you defending Palin?