Sad Day! (Haiti Earthquake)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It's a sad day today to know that thousands could have been killed in the Haiti earthquake. My heart goes out to them in this very difficult time! Sometimes we complain about the economy or about our government but some countries get it SOOOOOO much worse. Sad day indeed!

The scale of the disaster is unimaginable. Deaths in the thousands or tens of thousands. How many people are now homeless, or refugees? I have heard reports that all of the hospitals in Port au Prince are destroyed. The country, at its best, has very limited resources and infrastructure.

I am glad to see the United States take a leadership role in rescue and rebuilding -- Haiti will need all the help it can get.

CNN's Gary Tuchman just spoke with the prime minister of the country at the airport -- the PM says he thinks the death toll will be in the hundreds of thousands.

Work just asked for volunteers for possible "immediate deployment" to Guantanamo Bay (which i assume would be the base and we'd fly into Haiti) to assist.

I just volunteered an hour ago, so we'll see what happens.

Oh man. It must've been fucking huge if the seismographs here in Holland registered the shock! My heart goes out to the people and their families.

Work just asked for volunteers for possible "immediate deployment" to Guantanamo Bay (which i assume would be the base and we'd fly into Haiti) to assist.

I just volunteered an hour ago, so we'll see what happens.

Good for you :up:

If I could go there and help in some way, I would in a heartbeat.

I wish I could help. It's so sad. Especially since Haiti was not a stable country to begin with.

It's looking pretty bleak tonight. Sonjay Gupta was trying to do a live feed from Port-Au-Prince on CNN tonight, and had to duck down because of several shots fired in the area.

So many thousands of desperate people in the street, without shelter, food, water.

That country is going to need a Marshall Plan of some sort. The pictures being broadcast are incredible.

I feel horrible about what that country is going through. The people there never seem to get a break.

I'm between sending off a donation and actually going to the store to buy food with that money to donate.

I think I'm going to do the latter since my part of the U.S. is the nearest to Haiti and will be less of a financial burden on sending it than in other parts of the country.
I don't have much to give this paycheck, but something is better than nothing!

It's horrible. I hope the helpers are finding a way to really get through to the people who need the help. There's so much destruction. I have supported Doctors without Borders for years now and made a donation today. It's a terrible desaster. So sad to see it on the news all the time. My heart goes out to the people affected. :sad:

It's a sad day today to know that thousands could have been killed in the Haiti earthquake. My heart goes out to them in this very difficult time! Sometimes we complain about the economy or about our government but some countries get it SOOOOOO much worse. Sad day indeed!

Well said and thank you for starting this thread. The pictures, I have seen, are horrifying. Most of these people had very little to start with and now there is nothing. Can any of us imagine being in the same situation? My prayers to the people of Haiti. And please, those of us who can afford to do so. Give to a charity that will help them.

So Rush Limbaugh doesn't want people donating to Haiti...

On his radio show yesterday Limbaugh said the earthquake in Haiti will play right into Obama's hands by allowing him to play up his "compassionate" and "humanitarian" credentials, and that the President will use this crisis to "boost his credibility with the black community."

“They’ll use this to burnish their, shall we say, credibility with the black community — the both the light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. It’s made to order for them.”

As if that weren't enough, Limbaugh also pivoted off a caller who complained about Obama directing the public to the White House website to find charitable organizations operating in Haiti to promote a conspiracy theory that finding these charities via the White House website puts your money at risk of not reaching Haitians.

Limbaugh also seems to feel we've done enough already for Haiti: "We've already donated to Haiti. It's called the U.S. income tax."

Very Christian of him. Sounds like something that Jesus himself would have said.

Back
Top Bottom