Sad Day! (Haiti Earthquake)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's so awful.

i just donated to the Red Cross.

i wish i could do more.

Just a reminder that is you are going to donate money, make sure you do this to legitimate contributors such as the Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. When Katrina hit, thousands of fake organizations popped up to ask for funds that were never distributed correctly.

In Facebook alone, there are some people already asking for donations that do not seem honest, just be careful with who you select.

Best of luck to all SAR/HRD dog teams and thanks to the countries sending them. (USA, France, Russia, Mexico, UK, Taiwan, etc)

God help all the people of Haiti and give strength to all the rescue workers...

:sad::pray:
Whatever your inclination, thoughts are powerful, so if you are the praying kind please continue to send them out there and you aren't please send out those positive vibes...

This thing could implode into a sea of anarchy and violence that would just compound the devastation. Very frightening...

Holy shit, that is beyond the pale. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm just trying to ignore them and focus on all the people that are helping. They (Rush/Robertson) are not worth my energy at this time.

Just in case anyone hasn't heard, you can text the Red Cross to donate $10 (it will automatically be added to your next cell phone bill).

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Haiti earthquake (Jan. 2010) ? American Red Cross Disaster Newsroom

God help all the people of Haiti and give strength to all the rescue workers...

:sad::pray:
Whatever your inclination, thoughts are powerful, so if you are the praying kind please continue to send them out there and you aren't please send out those positive vibes...

This thing could implode into a sea of anarchy and violence that would just compound the devastation. Very frightening...

Yup. Last night, Anderson Cooper was broadcasting from a park, where hundreds of people were staying out in the open. People started shouting out "Water! Flood!" and everybody started scrambling, dropping their personal belongings, and running for safety. Then other people swooped in and stole their personal belongings.

The media is also reporting that there will likely be a lot of diseases in the aftermath of the earthquake, with so many dead bodies, thousands of people with injuries that are being untreated and getting infected, people going to the bathroom in the streets....

I just have no idea if things can stabilize, or how long it will take.

It's horrifying.

Work just asked for volunteers for possible "immediate deployment" to Guantanamo Bay (which i assume would be the base and we'd fly into Haiti) to assist.

I just volunteered an hour ago, so we'll see what happens.

:hug: god bless you . . . take all of our hearts and hugs with you

it's so awful.

i just donated to the Red Cross.

i wish i could do more.

indeed . . . I don't think there would be a soul alive who wishes they couldn't do more :hug:

Yup. Last night, Anderson Cooper was broadcasting from a park, where hundreds of people were staying out in the open. People started shouting out "Water! Flood!" and everybody started scrambling, dropping their personal belongings, and running for safety. Then other people swooped in and stole their personal belongings.

The media is also reporting that there will likely be a lot of diseases in the aftermath of the earthquake, with so many dead bodies, thousands of people with injuries that are being untreated and getting infected, people going to the bathroom in the streets....

I just have no idea if things can stabilize, or how long it will take.

It's horrifying.

Wow. I missed that last night ... so scary.

Ya, this is why we need to pray like crazy.... for God to send his Angels!
Pray people!! Or just send those vibes out!

For those of you donating, check with your employers to see if they match contributions to nonprofits as well.

thanks for all the kind words and good wishes guys.

however, i still in the dark about if and when im going. probably find out the day i have to leave, if i even do. so typical of the agency :mad:

starting to doubt ill even get the chance to go help. they'll come up with some half-ass excuse why they need me to stay here sitting around playing pocket pool for 6 hours out of 8, like it's more important :rolleyes:

as for Rush and Robertson, fuck em.

as best i understand, the airport is now heavily congested as a result of how many aid flights have come in and others are being diverted to nearby airports to just get them in. flights also aren't allowed to land unless they can certify they have enough fuel already on board to get back out. some perspective on how much aid has already come in.

Yeah. I've changed my mind about giving actual items cause they probably wont get there for a very long time, even though the U.S. government has taken control of the Port-Au-Prince airport.

Online donation it is. :up:

What a horrible tragedy.:sad: I donated to the Red Cross, but like so many of have said, I wish I could do more. I want to work in Human Rights, so this sort of disaster will likely be part of my future career. Situations like this make me wonder if I could handle being there on the ground in that type of catastrophe, but there's nothing more that I want to do. Anyway, God bless all the people from all over the world donating money and especially those donating their time and resources in the rescue effort.

ETA. Also, fuck off Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh. Congratulations on out-douching yourselves...again.:|

I started to get really angry when I heard about Limbaugh and Robertson... however, sons of bitches though they are, this really isn't the time or place to get worked up about it. Good deeds, love, and generosity will be rewarded in the end over racist hatred.

I'm just happy to see this bringing out the best in many people, specifically Presidents Obama and Sarkozy, but also people all over the world who have been doing all they can. Humanity may have its flaws, but when I see so many people being generous like this, it makes me less misanthropic. Let's ignore the attention whores.

I started to get really angry when I heard about Limbaugh and Robertson... however, sons of bitches though they are, this really isn't the time or place to get worked up about it. Good deeds, love, and generosity will be rewarded in the end over racist hatred.

I'm just happy to see this bringing out the best in many people, specifically Presidents Obama and Sarkozy, but also people all over the world who have been doing all they can. Humanity may have its flaws, but when I see so many people being generous like this, it makes me less misanthropic. .

Amen!:up:
This is the silver lining in the tragedy....

Yeah, and whatever you may think of them; Brad and Angelina donated 1 million to the relief efforts. Wow. Other celebs have donated a lot of money too.
That's awesome. I think they did the same when Katrina happened.

It's too early to say, but maybe Brad Pitt will help Haiti architecturally the way he is with New Orleans.

Home : Make It Right

It's a horrible situation in Port Au Prince, but completely starting over can be beneficial (if it's done right).

It's too early to say, but maybe Brad Pitt will help Haiti architecturally the way he is with New Orleans.

Home : Make It Right

It's a horrible situation in Port Au Prince, but completely starting over can be beneficial (if it's done right).

This is a very profound thought. Maybe this is the grand design of things that brings humanity together instead of the bickering of religion or politics.
If not then we are all doomed.
In the meantime, everyone should think about "but for the Grace of God or you're Higher Power, or the lack of - go I.

Edited to say: Under no circumstances do I believe this amount of suffering is handed down by God. I don't really know what the grand design is, but the God I believe in wouldn't do this to his people.

. I don't really know what the grand design is, but the God I believe in wouldn't do this to his people.

I agree Sue. I believe in my heart that God did not cause this....

This is a test for us, how we react. It is up to us to be an arm of God's love on this planet
And yes, it is wonderful to see the world pulling together...this really puts all things in perspective. Let's hope to goodwill lasts.

Speaking of being an instrument of goodwill and love,
I saw this story last night on CNN. Molly Hightower is/was from my backyard here in Washington State.
This is heartbreaking. She worked in a orphange in Haiti but did not make it. She was an angel on earth....
this is her blog...read it in her honor.:sad:

525,600 Minutes

Not for one moment do I think Rush Limbaugh's comments are racist.

But I am deeply disappointed that he does seem to have a confirmed case of Obama Derangement Syndrome. He is doing exactly what Bush detractors did for 8 years. Criticize the president's every action putting the president in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I agree with Rush in hoping that President Obama fails in implementing most of his foreign and domestic agenda. But I hope he succeeds when I feel his actions are serving the best interests of the country. And I have seen absolutely nothing to criticize in the way the president has handled the tragedy in Haiti.

I'm proud of the way Americans have reacted to this disaster, from every kid donating a quarter at his grade school, to the quick response of our armed forces, from corporations to private charities, to the leadership of the president.

Give it a rest Rush.

I just found out today that my friend Evan and 2 of his other friends are going to Haiti to help out. I don't know the full details, but he is a such a great person for volunteering his time to help those in need.

Back
Top Bottom