Sabbath Dispatch #1 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,890
Local Time: 07:34 PM
Sabbath Dispatch #1

First a word of explanation:

Iron Horse has the Sunday Dispatch, and VintagePunk has the Friday Night Dispatch, so I've decided to add the Sabbath Dispatch on Saturday (my time any way) so that the whole weekend is covered. I think IH and VP have the market pretty much cornered on pithy, thought-provoking sayings and song lyric quotes, so I've decided to do something different.

At least for now, I'd like to run a "Statement of Belief" series. I've been thinking for awhile now that I'd like to try to articulate what my beliefs are--where I'm at now. I thought it might be interesting to share that process here and maybe here what other posters on FYM believe. So every Saturday (or Friday night for those in the U.S.), which I observe as my Sabbath, I will post a different statement of belief. I'd like to invite others to respond with their own statements of belief on the given topic. I'd prefer that this not become a debate thread--there's plenty of space for that elsewhere in FYM, but more of a place where we share our own unique perspectives and beliefs. But if somebody really is hot to get in there and correct me or anyone else, well, that's you're right to do so and I'm not gonna carp about it.

I also want to make it clear that my beliefs are not, nor have they ever been rigid. They are constantly in flux and I'm sure they will continue to change. This is more of a snapshot of what I believe now, than something set in stone.

I hope this will be a unique and interesting addition to the "weekend dispatches."

That said, the Dispatch:

I believe in God.

By that I mean, of course, I believe that God exists. I believe this not primairly because of Scriptures, or because such belief "answers the conundrums of life'" though that's part of it, but mainly because I feel His presence in my life. I sense Him speaking to my heart. I realize that may make me sound somewhat insane, but seeing as how I'm able to hold a job, and get along in society, I'm not going to worry too much about that.

I also believe in God in the sense that I believe He (or She or It--I don't believe God has a gender per se) is good, that He can be trusted, that He cares.

I believe that God created all things, and that He cares about all that He has created.

I believe that God is Love and Love is God.

What do you believe?
__________________

maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,553
Local Time: 03:34 PM
I believe in God.

That He in in us, around us, and in all living things. We are God, and He is us.

I see Him working in my life.

The rest I could cut and paste from you, Sean.
__________________

martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 06:34 PM
at one time i believed that the father, son, and holy spirit were god.

at one time i believed that the only the father was god.

at one time i believed that god was not a personal god.

at one time i believed god was simply the cosmic intelligence; the initial causation of the universe; impersonal, impartial, and infinite.

i now doubt god's existence at all. i consider myself an agnostic - i am, for the most part, a materialist. if god exists, i find it highly unlikely that humans could fathom its essence. religion is manmade. all that is necessary for a meaningful life is on this earth, in this physical reality.
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 06:34 PM
I believe that if there is a God, he does not intervene.
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 07:34 PM
I believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit.

I believe that God is a personal God.

I believe that God speaks to us through our hearts, dreams, soul, etc.

I believe you have to allow God into your life and your heart in order to see His works.

I believe while God is loving, His is a tough love. Meaning, He is stern and doesn't let you get away with things that might be destructive or are simply not in the direction He wants your life to go.

BTW, like maycocksean, I also don't believe God has a gender. Its a shame the English language doesn't have a neutral pronoun. Sometimes I wonder if God even has a human form.
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 17,289
Local Time: 06:34 PM
I believe that I have no idea what is out there. Many (maybe most?) days I believe there is something, but I don't know what it is, and I am unconcerned with that.
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 07:34 PM
I believe we created god.
BonosSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I believe that I have no idea what is out there. Many (maybe most?) days I believe there is something, but I don't know what it is, and I am unconcerned with that.
heckuva job!
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:55 AM   #9
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
I believe we created god.
I agree with this.

I do believe in the incredible creation of everything. Whether it was a something/someone that created it all, or it was an event of creation, I believe in the awesomeness of it. God, perhaps. I say god because I don't know what else to call it. It's based completely on just looking around. No book, no other people, just looking. The complexity of everything that lives, the minuteness of existence, the start and end of life, the cycle of things, the odds and statistics, the ability of reason, the sea monkeys on my window sill, the universe, all of us, the journey of ants searching for food. I don't hear god, and nothing speaks to me, but I see it in everything, everywhere. Good and bad and a balance of both in life. I wonder if there is a perfect balance of good and bad, pure and evil, and we experience small slivers of such at any given time - both collectively and individually. I wonder if there is perfect balance and we are incapable of shifting it. I wonder if there is perfect balance and we shift it with a ripple effect. I wonder if there is a predetermined path. I wonder at the enormity of everything. I wonder at what is behind it all. It is a god that I don't hear and cannot feel. It is a 'god' that I see, but do not sense, per se. I marvel at what I do not know.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,890
Local Time: 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
I agree with this.

I do believe in the incredible creation of everything. Whether it was a something/someone that created it all, or it was an event of creation, I believe in the awesomeness of it. God, perhaps. I say god because I don't know what else to call it. It's based completely on just looking around. No book, no other people, just looking. The complexity of everything that lives, the minuteness of existence, the start and end of life, the cycle of things, the odds and statistics, the ability of reason, the sea monkeys on my window sill, the universe, all of us, the journey of ants searching for food. I don't hear god, and nothing speaks to me, but I see it in everything, everywhere. Good and bad and a balance of both in life. I wonder if there is a perfect balance of good and bad, pure and evil, and we experience small slivers of such at any given time - both collectively and individually. I wonder if there is perfect balance and we are incapable of shifting it. I wonder if there is perfect balance and we shift it with a ripple effect. I wonder if there is a predetermined path. I wonder at the enormity of everything. I wonder at what is behind it all. It is a god that I don't hear and cannot feel. It is a 'god' that I see, but do not sense, per se. I marvel at what I do not know.
Wow, very eloquent, Anna. Almost poetic. Thanks for sharing
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 07:34 PM
BonosSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
Refugee
 
A stor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A. East Coast
Posts: 2,464
Local Time: 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
First a word of explanation:

Iron Horse has the Sunday Dispatch, and VintagePunk has the Friday Night Dispatch, so I've decided to add the Sabbath Dispatch on Saturday (my time any way) so that the whole weekend is covered. I think IH and VP have the market pretty much cornered on pithy, thought-provoking sayings and song lyric quotes, so I've decided to do something different.

At least for now, I'd like to run a "Statement of Belief" series. I've been thinking for awhile now that I'd like to try to articulate what my beliefs are--where I'm at now. I thought it might be interesting to share that process here and maybe here what other posters on FYM believe. So every Saturday (or Friday night for those in the U.S.), which I observe as my Sabbath, I will post a different statement of belief. I'd like to invite others to respond with their own statements of belief on the given topic. I'd prefer that this not become a debate thread--there's plenty of space for that elsewhere in FYM, but more of a place where we share our own unique perspectives and beliefs. But if somebody really is hot to get in there and correct me or anyone else, well, that's you're right to do so and I'm not gonna carp about it.

I also want to make it clear that my beliefs are not, nor have they ever been rigid. They are constantly in flux and I'm sure they will continue to change. This is more of a snapshot of what I believe now, than something set in stone.

I hope this will be a unique and interesting addition to the "weekend dispatches."

That said, the Dispatch:

I believe in God.

By that I mean, of course, I believe that God exists. I believe this not primairly because of Scriptures, or because such belief "answers the conundrums of life'" though that's part of it, but mainly because I feel His presence in my life. I sense Him speaking to my heart. I realize that may make me sound somewhat insane, but seeing as how I'm able to hold a job, and get along in society, I'm not going to worry too much about that.

I also believe in God in the sense that I believe He (or She or It--I don't believe God has a gender per se) is good, that He can be trusted, that He cares.

I believe that God created all things, and that He cares about all that He has created.

I believe that God is Love and Love is God.

What do you believe?
Beautifully spoken, I believe the same as you.
A stor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
Refugee
 
A stor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A. East Coast
Posts: 2,464
Local Time: 11:34 PM
My favorite place is Gunpowder State Park, located in Maryland. U.S.A. There is a walking path along side the river. Lined with many trees.

When I walk this path, I hear the gentle wind whisper to my heart. I stop for a moment, close my eyes and let God fill my soul. As I walk father along, I see the beauty surrounding me and I am joyful. And so very thankful, to simply be, God's child.
A stor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Thanks, K and Sean.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 07:34 PM
I believe there is only one universal God

and Jesus of Nazareth was God as one of us.
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,193
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I believe in God.

By that I mean, of course, I believe that God exists. I believe this not primairly because of Scriptures, or because such belief "answers the conundrums of life'" though that's part of it, but mainly because I feel His presence in my life. I sense Him speaking to my heart. I realize that may make me sound somewhat insane, but seeing as how I'm able to hold a job, and get along in society, I'm not going to worry too much about that.

I also believe in God in the sense that I believe He (or She or It--I don't believe God has a gender per se) is good, that He can be trusted, that He cares.

I believe that God created all things, and that He cares about all that He has created.

I believe that God is Love and Love is God.

What do you believe?
For the most part this is what I believe.

But I will admit to having more agnostic days in the last few years than anytime before.

And although I believe in God most days, I still believe religion is mostly manmade and that much of scripture isn't to be taken literally...

I do not believe that God and science contradict each other...
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #17
War Child
 
Alan Jamison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: pimp walkin the LBC
Posts: 640
Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I believe there is only one universal God

and Jesus of Nazareth was God as one of us.
AGREED.

God Bless!
Alan Jamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
MissVelvetDress_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Posts: 25,776
Local Time: 07:34 PM
I believe in something higher and bigger than me.

A co-worker almost died in front of me on Tuesday from a massive heart attack and I think his life was spared because something else took over. His chances for survival were minimal.
MissVelvetDress_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 PM   #19
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,739
Local Time: 10:34 AM
I do not affirm the existence of God. However, I do not think I would go as far as saying I actively affirm the non-existence of God. I fundamentally consider the concept of "God", or of any supernatural deity, to be utterly meaningless. Hence I affirm nothing and I take no position. I would say I'm an ignostic, or a theological noncognitivist.

Incidentally, this thread may perhaps answer iron horse's "where are the Christians?" thread better than that thread itself.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,553
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I do not believe in God. However, I do not think I would go as far as saying that I do not believe in God.
Did I miss something here?
__________________

martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×