Sabbath Dispatch #1 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by October1977 View Post

I read a response that says we created God. I don't agree with that but respect and understand the person believing that way. The question I am left with is why did we feel the need to create God. What is in human nature that makes one seek something bigger than himself and even makes the atheist declare his disbelief? Every person in the world, I believe, has felt the need at some time to seek something bigger than himself...by that I mean God, or to someone who doesn't or didn't believe the way I do, a God-like power. (My opinion - I'm sure there are those out there that would argue they've never felt that need.)
Well there are thousands of other Gods/religions, and you're a monotheist, so according to yours and many other peoples convictions, every other God/religion must be false. So yes humans have certainly created Gods/organised religion to worship, which Richard Dawkins and several other prolific evolutionary biologists argued is an evolutionary misfiring. Read up on it, it's very thought provoking.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #47
October1977

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieU2fanman View Post
Well there are thousands of other Gods/religions, and you're a monotheist, so according to yours and many other peoples convictions, every other God/religion must be false. So yes humans have certainly created Gods/organised religion to worship, which Richard Dawkins and several other prolific evolutionary biologists argued is an evolutionary misfiring. Read up on it, it's very thought provoking.

I will actually. Agreed. There's nothing wrong with reading about other beliefs and religions, theories, etc. If anything, fear is what keeps a lot of Christians from doing so (in my own experience anyway) which shows an ultimate lack of confidence in what it is they believe.

It's safe to say that my belief coexists with my doubt but I've never doubted God's existence but rather I've thought..."oh, this is who He is" - rather than, "oh, he doesn't exist afterall." I don't know if that made sense; I lack the words at the moment.