Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I believe in God.

By that I mean, of course, I believe that God exists. I believe this not primairly because of Scriptures, or because such belief "answers the conundrums of life'" though that's part of it, but mainly because I feel His presence in my life. I sense Him speaking to my heart. I realize that may make me sound somewhat insane, but seeing as how I'm able to hold a job, and get along in society, I'm not going to worry too much about that.

I also believe in God in the sense that I believe He (or She or It--I don't believe God has a gender per se) is good, that He can be trusted, that He cares.

I believe that God created all things, and that He cares about all that He has created.

I believe that God is Love and Love is God.

What do you believe?
For the most part this is what I believe.

But I will admit to having more agnostic days in the last few years than anytime before.

And although I believe in God most days, I still believe religion is mostly manmade and that much of scripture isn't to be taken literally...

I do not believe that God and science contradict each other...

Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I believe there is only one universal God

and Jesus of Nazareth was God as one of us.
AGREED.

God Bless!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 04:33 AM
I believe in something higher and bigger than me.

A co-worker almost died in front of me on Tuesday from a massive heart attack and I think his life was spared because something else took over. His chances for survival were minimal.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 PM   #19
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:33 PM
I do not affirm the existence of God. However, I do not think I would go as far as saying I actively affirm the non-existence of God. I fundamentally consider the concept of "God", or of any supernatural deity, to be utterly meaningless. Hence I affirm nothing and I take no position. I would say I'm an ignostic, or a theological noncognitivist.

Incidentally, this thread may perhaps answer iron horse's "where are the Christians?" thread better than that thread itself.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #20
She's the One

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I do not believe in God. However, I do not think I would go as far as saying that I do not believe in God.
Did I miss something here?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #21
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Did I miss something here?
What do you mean?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #22
She's the One

Quote:
What do you mean?
Well, you said that you didn't believe in God, and then said you wouldn't say that you didn't believe in God.

It seems as if you contradicted yourself.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #23
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Well, you said that you didn't believe in God, and then said you wouldn't say that you didn't believe in God.

It seems as if you contradicted yourself.
Oh man, I stuffed up my phrasing. In editing it down to avoid being convoluted, I accidentally removed a rather important word. I suppose I should have said that I do not affirm the existence of God, but I would not go as far as saying I actively affirm the non-existence of God.

I'll edit the original post to say that now.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #24
She's the One

Quote:
Oh man, I stuffed up my phrasing. In editing it down to avoid being convoluted, I accidentally removed a rather important word. I suppose I should have said that I do not affirm the existence of God, but I would not go as far as saying I actively affirm the non-existence of God.

I'll edit the original post to say that now.

Now I understand. I had a feeling that you meant to say something different than what you said.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:37 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I believe that if there is a God, he does not intervene.
and, like the parents of a school shooter or rapist or pshycho killer, he is wondering how the fuck he created this mess and where he went wrong.

or, he's a sick fuck and is enjoying it.

sorry, i believe there is no god.

but, i like this "dispatch" concept better than the others.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
I believe we created god.
well put.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 09:33 AM
A man's got to believe in something.

I believe I'll have another drink.

~WC Fields
Old 02-01-2009, 06:05 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:33 PM
I have had the religious experience through nature, I don't think it has anything to do with an actual God, I believe that we all should understand religious feelings so that they aren't exploited.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVelvetDress_75 View Post
I believe in something higher and bigger than me.

A co-worker almost died in front of me on Tuesday from a massive heart attack and I think his life was spared because something else took over. His chances for survival were minimal.
By pure chance I met two cousins at the Australian Museum at the same time on the same day, we arrived for independent reasons.

This is an astounding coincidence, 3 first cousins meeting at a side entrance, for a city the size of Sydney the odds are astonishing.

But breaking it down.

I was visiting the Museum from another state to look at specimens, I visited every day of the week, I walked in the side entrance at 10:00am.

Cousin K was looking after a desk for a media conference being held the same day and would be at the desk for hours.

Given the location of the desk in front of the collections entrance I needed to go through it is unlikely that I wouldn't have met her in the morning.

Cousin L walked in the side entrance to have coffee with me (pre-arranged) and we were all in the same place.

It's still astonishing but it is less improbable, and given that the museum is a point of overlap between the artistic and scientific groups it narrows the pool of potential people visiting the fossil collection or manning a media conference desk even further.

My brain will remember this incident for a very long time, it sticks out as improbable, but this reinforcement bias of my memory does not give the event cosmic significance.

I have the instinctive sense that something magical has happened, that it is just so improbable that it just had to have been planned out, but the simple fact is that it was one of many improbable events that happen every day to lots of people which in the course of a human life become rather common.

I think that is a healthy form of active scepticism, it doesn't make the event any less cool, it just means I won't let my impulse to seek out patterns rule my life.

So when we see or experience something "miraculous", we should stop and think about how improbable the event actually is, and what the competing explanations are, it should stop us all stumbling into superstition.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #30
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
So when we see or experience something "miraculous", we should stop and think about how improbable the event actually is,
Yet you felt the need to try to explain it.

Didn't Sean request no debates?