Russia opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been thinking about it a lot ever since I heard about it. In the event that this was handled by the government, it comes off as ridiculously foolish to choose to do this on the steps of the Kremlin. I wouldn't rule out the involvement of Russian nationalists in this.

That said I don't mourn this guy's death given he had a large part in Yeltsin's farcical rule, I snorted a bit when the BBC article described him as an ""economic reformer"".

I know, I'm really predictable. :lol: But it's something I follow quite closely and I feel that has some personal relevance.

I'm really going to sound naive here, but I just was so shocked to see something like this happening today.

I don't think an assassination like this has happened in Russia in over a decade. It's a very 90s Russia thing. But just the whole manner of it, it's hardly as if he was shot in stairwell in an apartment building, this is more like the background to a Hollywood action thriller.

I was waiting for your thoughts, Vlad.

More specifically, the "Russian opposition? Yeah kinda nah" thoughts. :wink:

Can't say I can contribute much either, except to also be somewhat shocked that this sort of thing would happen. If sufficient evidence emerges to link Putin's government to it, even tenuously, that will be toxic on the world stage, so surely this was not officially sanctioned?

More specifically, the "Russian opposition? Yeah kinda nah" thoughts. :wink:

Unfortunately much of the mainstream media, when criticising (and very often rightfully) Putin/Russia, adopt a rosy view of Russian opposition figures and defining them by vague terms such as "anti-corruption" or "pro-democracy" without going into much detail about much at all. So even more unfortunately Nemtsov is (or already has) going to be painted as a heroic figure, while the label of 'economic reformer' is plastered over the desolate reality of what was 90s Russia. I'll add that these educated Russian liberal types are much more popular in the West than they are in Russia itself.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's important to both criticise the reality of today's Russia (which the Western media are quite obsessed with, really) while also recognising that much of the opposition aren't respectable/decent figures.

I know only just barely enough about recent Russian history to imagine that the decade of wanton looting that was the Yeltsin circus, made a Putin more or less inevitable (even if, as may well be, he is also doing very nicely out of it all in a financial sense).

Pretty accurate. And fundamentally Yeltsin and Putin were/are both neoliberals, Putin's significance to many Russians is relative stability and appeal to patriotism, and his willingness to regularly stand up to Western powers reflects that. Another thing that endears him to Russian people is his image, as opposed to mental images of Yeltsin hollering into a microphone whilst off his head.

As reprehensible as I find Putin, it's ridiculously easy to see why he has the popularity he does.

Indeed. While he's no doubt a neoliberal of some description, I vaguely remember some of the earliest footage of his reign was one of the late nineties oligarchs sitting in a cage.

Maybe he's getting more botox/plastic surgery. He will soon look worse than Nicole Kidman.

Back
Top Bottom