Rush Limbaugh's hideous apartment on sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's one rule to know about Rush; if his lips are moving he's either lying or being a hypocrite.

He's not the problem, he knows that when he talks about marriages breaking up that he's a hypocrite, the problem is his audience :shrug:

You might wonder how much $$$$$$$ was paid to this Kathryn woman to even be in the same state as this guy.

I wonder if there's any Oxy's left in his Bathroom cabinet. :hmm:

And that's the question. Why does he have one? What is it about him that people listen to and go, "Yeah, he makes sense"? I don't get it.

Angela

He's entertaining. He's funny. He sounds like he's telling "truths" that all the other wimps in the media are too afraid to say. (In other word he taps into the fears and prejudices of his audience and tells them they don't have to feel guilty about those fears and prejudices). He makes convincing arguments. He appeals to people's emotions.

Can't say any of that about NPR, can you?

Elton John Performs at Rush Limbaugh’s Wedding, of All Things | VF Daily | Vanity Fair

"In 2009, Reuters found that of all wedding performers, “Elton John is the second most expensive, charging over $2 million for private performances although all earnings from his private concerts go to his charity, the Elton John AIDS Foundation.”

His AIDS foundation, eh? The plot thickens: Limbaugh famously does not take AIDS that seriously. In October 2009, he compared the auto-immune disease to swine flu , and complained that both are “hyped”—presumably attempting to express that they are overhyped.

Two years earlier, in 2007, Limbaugh said other, equally incorrect, equally reprehensible things about AIDS: “The condom craze started because it was going to spread to the heterosexual community and so forth. There was never any evidence that it was spreading to the heterosexual community, not sexually anyway, and if you said that, then you were guilty of a hate crime and profiling and discrimination, and all of that.” He later added: “It was time to cough up money for education, and condoms, and cucumbers and all that, and we had rock stars like Bono establish philanthropic careers on the basis of all this, all based on science.”

To laugh at Rush's hypocrisy, take his money and keep laughing all the way to the bank (or an AIDS charity, which seems like a wonderful place for the dough).

I guess he saw it as an opportunity to spread aids around to people that otherwise would never be exposed to it.

He's entertaining. He's funny. He sounds like he's telling "truths" that all the other wimps in the media are too afraid to say. (In other word he taps into the fears and prejudices of his audience and tells them they don't have to feel guilty about those fears and prejudices). He makes convincing arguments. He appeals to people's emotions.

I understand everything except the "convincing arguments" bit. If it's filled with flat-out lies, how can it be worth taking seriously? I guess I'm just mystified as to how someone can listen to that quote from Rush about AIDS, for instance, or hear him talk about how gay marriage will ruin the sanctity of marriage when they know full well he's on his fourth one now, and still think that those comments contain anything resembling truth. I'd like to think it's simply a matter of the listener not having been educated on the facts, but that seems too simplistic, since some people who listen to Rush and like him have decent educations. I'm just really confused by that.

Can't say any of that about NPR, can you?

To be honest, I've not really listened to much NPR. Bits and pieces here and there, and I'm certainly aware of it, but I haven't really listened to it much.

That's really bizarre that Elton John played at his wedding. I'm guessing cori's reasoning has to be why he did that, 'cause otherwise I'm at a loss to explain his presence there.

Angela

I understand everything except the "convincing arguments" bit. If it's filled with flat-out lies, how can it be worth taking seriously? I guess I'm just mystified as to how someone can listen to that quote from Rush about AIDS, for instance, or hear him talk about how gay marriage will ruin the sanctity of marriage when they know full well he's on his fourth one now, and still think that those comments contain anything resembling truth. I'd like to think it's simply a matter of the listener not having been educated on the facts, but that seems too simplistic, since some people who listen to Rush and like him have decent educations. I'm just really confused by that.

When I say convincing, I mean that he's adept at sophistry--not necessarily that his arguments are based on unassailable factual evidence or well-reasoned logic. What he says sounds true to a lot of people (in large part because of the other reasons I mentioned). I think Steven Colbert coined the term: "truthiness." At any rate Limbaugh and his cohots remind me of that scene in "Thank You for Smoking" where Aaron Eckhart's charcter, who is a tobacco lobbyist is talking to his son's grade school class about what he does for a living. One little girl raise her hand and says:

"My mommy says that smoking is bad for you."

Eckharts Character: "Is your mommy a doctor?"
Little Girl: "No"
Eckharts Character: "Is your mommy a scientist?"
LG: "No"
EC: "Does your mommy have any kind of training in research?" (I'm paraphrasing the dialogue here, but this was the gist of it).
EC: "Well, then how does your mommy know anything about whether smoking is bad for you?"
LG: --Left flummoxed, speechless, and utterly defeated.

The fact, that incidentally, her mommy was right, was completely sidelined.

This is how Limbaugh argues, and that is what I meant by "convincing."

To be honest, I've not really listened to much NPR. Bits and pieces here and there, and I'm certainly aware of it, but I haven't really listened to it much.

I love NPR! You should listen to it more. It's about the only real news out there anymore.

That's really bizarre that Elton John played at his wedding. I'm guessing cori's reasoning has to be why he did that, 'cause otherwise I'm at a loss to explain his presence there.

Angela

It's probably the Dittoheads that should be more upset about this than us. It ought to reveal that at the end of the day Rush really doesn't give a shit--it's all about the money.

When I say convincing, I mean that he's adept at sophistry--not necessarily that his arguments are based on unassailable factual evidence or well-reasoned logic. What he says sounds true to a lot of people (in large part because of the other reasons I mentioned). I think Steven Colbert coined the term: "truthiness." At any rate Limbaugh and his cohots remind me of that scene in "Thank You for Smoking" where Aaron Eckhart's charcter, who is a tobacco lobbyist is talking to his son's grade school class about what he does for a living. One little girl raise her hand and says:

"My mommy says that smoking is bad for you."

Eckharts Character: "Is your mommy a doctor?"
Little Girl: "No"
Eckharts Character: "Is your mommy a scientist?"
EC: "Does your mommy have any kind of training in research?" (I'm paraphrasing the dialogue here, but this was the gist of it).
EC: "Well, then how does your mommy know anything about whether smoking is bad for you?"
LG: --Left flummoxed, speechless, and utterly defeated.

The fact, that incidentally, her mommy was right, was completely sidelined.

This is how Limbaugh argues, and that is what I meant by "convincing."

Ah. Got it. Thanks for clarifying. That certainly makes sense.

That scene you shared is good. Sadly dead on, but good.

I love NPR! You should listen to it more. It's about the only real news out there anymore.

I'll definitely check it out more. The small bit I've heard I've liked, so yeah, I'll go search it out and give it a fuller listen :).

It's probably the Dittoheads that should be more upset about this than us. It ought to reveal that at the end of the day Rush really doesn't give a shit--it's all about the money.

Yeah, that's true-money and Rush always go well together.

I'm not really upset. I'm just confused more than anything. But I am rather curious to see how Rush's followers feel about that news...:hmm:.

Angela

But I am rather curious to see how Rush's followers feel about that news...:hmm:.

Angela

Sadly most of them will probably feel however Rush tells them to feel.

Incidentally, INDY just provided another example of Rush-style arguing over in the thread about the Israeli raid on that flotilla. Check it out.

Sadly most of them will probably feel however Rush tells them to feel.

Probably. But it'd still be an interesting discussion to witness regardless. At the very least I'd like to see how Rush would be able to defend that to his listeners, presuming he does that.

Incidentally, INDY just provided another example of Rush-style arguing over in the thread about the Israeli raid on that flotilla. Check it out.

I did see that. Yeah. Real nice, it was :|.

And this is why otherwise legitimate, good debates fall apart. There was a really good discussion going on in that thread, and then, to take a word from title of the thread...roadblock.

Angela

I did see that. Yeah. Real nice, it was :|.

And this is why otherwise legitimate, good debates fall apart. There was a really good discussion going on in that thread, and then, to take a word from title of the thread...roadblock.

Angela

Cheap.

But effective.

Lee Greenwood was not available.

the other thought i had -- tacky apartment aside -- is that maybe Rush has actual taste in music, and recognizes that Elton has written some really amazing songs, and/or his wife loves Elton, and that his radio persona is all posturing in order to make money and the real Rush -- you know, Rusty -- doesn't really believe much of what he's actually saying.

people.com

Limbaugh, for instance, told Zev Chafetz, author of the Limbaugh biography Army of One, that he supports civil unions for gay couples instead of marriage – a point on which Limbaugh and the openly gay John agree.

"I don't want to be married," John said in 2005 when he and David Furnish tied the knot in a civil partnership ceremony. "If gay people want to get married or get together, they should have a civil partnership. The word 'marriage,' I think, puts a lot of people off."

the other thought i had -- tacky apartment aside -- is that maybe Rush has actual taste in music, and recognizes that Elton has written some really amazing songs, and/or his wife loves Elton, and that his radio persona is all posturing in order to make money and the real Rush -- you know, Rusty -- doesn't really believe much of what he's actually saying.

This has been my working theory re: Limbaugh for quite some time. It seems likely given some of his "hardly-conservative" choices he's made in his free time.

This has been my working theory re: Limbaugh for quite some time. It seems likely given some of his "hardly-conservative" choices he's made in his free time.

there was an interesting article on Salon from a few years ago written by one of his nieces about "Uncle Rusty" -- he comes off as not that bad a guy.

here it is:

Rusty and me - Rush Limbaugh - Salon.com

it pretty much supports your summation.

Flown over the wedding site, courtesy of Gawker:

500x_0606_rush_front_01.jpg

Congratulations Rush Limbaugh!

Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post

I did see that. Yeah. Real nice, it was .

Angela

Cheap.

But effective.

Better to keep separate topics in separate threads. :reject:

there was an interesting article on Salon from a few years ago written by one of his nieces about "Uncle Rusty" -- he comes off as not that bad a guy.

here it is:

Rusty and me - Rush Limbaugh - Salon.com

it pretty much supports your summation.

Fascinating article. I really enjoyed it.

I don't suppose anyone can really go too far in judging public figures who we don't know personally. And I would never think to treat some one rudely just because of who they are related to.

I'm sure in many ways, Rusty is a nice guy--but then there have been a lot of men and women throughout history who were nice in many ways and then really horrible in some other ways.

I tend to agree with Mrs. S, though that, if, as I suspect, his public persona is all about the big bucks then that is even more deplorable then if he actually believed it all. It's irresponsible to spread the nonsense he does just to keep raking it in.

Back
Top Bottom