Rush Limbaugh's hideous apartment on sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Better to keep separate topics in separate threads. :reject:

We weren't discussing the topic of that thread, we were discussing a method of argument that is cheap but effective-a subject that is relevant to the current line of discussion in this thread. I thought INDYs comment was a good example of one type of argument Rush uses on a regular basis.

I was merely replying to maycocksean's post. From now on, though, I'll keep that stuff separate if people feel that's the best idea.

Thank you for that article, Irvine. I feel really bad for that girl. I don't know Rush personally, obviously, so I can't say anything about him as an everyday human being (and hope I haven't done that, though if I have, I'm sorry). I find his views offensive (if that is indeed how he truly feels), and have said so when they're being discussed. But I don't spend all my days foaming at the mouth about him-unless we're actively discussing him or I see something about him on TV, he never crosses my mind, quite frankly.

Finding someone's views offensive and hating the very fiber of their being are different things, I think. Julie's absolutely right-I have family members that are deeply anti-Obama. I have an aunt that lives in Arizona and fully supports the new immigration law. I don't understand their reasoning at all, don't agree with their lines of thinking at all, but I still love those members of my family-that aforementioned aunt is probably my favorite aunt I have, she's fun to be around when I visit her or she visits us. I have a lot of good memories with those family members. We just obviously disagree on political stuff, and that's life. Can't do anything about that, really.

I honestly can't believe the nerve of some of those people Julie encountered over time, some of the stuff they said to her. That's just rude, I don't blame her for being insulted and angry. After all, what's that old line about what's in a name again? I'm really sorry she's had to deal with that crap, there's no excuse for that. And I appreciate her attempts to try and shed a bit more of a positive light on Rush.

All that being said...

That's even worse. If you're just saying that shit for money, knowing what it does to people, then you are a whore of the lowest kind.

I kinda have to agree with this. It's not worth the money, the time, or the effort. And how long's he been doing this talk radio gig now? Good, long number of years. Why pretend all that time? If he is doing a tongue-in-cheek ironic sort of deal a la Stephen Colbert, then applause to him, he's deeply convincing in his character, and I feel stupid for not catching on sooner. But sometimes it doesn't sound that way to me, it sounds like he's actually sincere. I have no problem believing he puffs up more for ratings-every commentator, from Keith Olbermann to Bill O'Reilly to Bill Maher and so on does that. But I sincerely hope it is satire, 'cause if he's just saying that stuff for the sake of saying it, or if he's saying it and genuinely believes it, all for the almighty dollar...I don't like that. Especially given how hurtful some of the comments he's uttered have been.

Angela

Access Hollywood
NEW YORK, N.Y. --

Many people were left scratching their heads when Elton John performed at Rush Limbaugh’s wedding earlier this month – including Sir Elton, himself.

“To put it in Elton’s exact words, when he got the invitation, he was ‘a little surprised,’ " Elton’s longtime partner, David Furnish, told People at the Tony Awards in New York City on Sunday night.

As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, Elton sang for Rush, 59, and his bride Kathryn Rogers, 33, plus the 400 guests in attendance at the wedding held at the Breakers hotel in Palm Beach, Fla., on June 5.

While a rep for the iconic singer had no comment on why Elton decided to take the gig – for which he received a reported $1 million fee – David said Elton saw it as a way to potentially open some eyes.

“When it turned out to be a genuinely sincere invitation … Elton said, ‘Life is about building bridges, not walls,’” David explained.

“’[It was a chance] to go where people wouldn’t expect me to go,’” David continued, quoting Elton. “’And maybe if I can make a great impression… people might change their perspectives on life.’”

Although David was unable to attend the wedding with Elton, as he was in Europe at the time, the singer told him both the bride and groom were “incredibly gracious and very welcoming.”

“Ultimately, it’s a bit like an olive branch, I guess,” David added, noting that Rush and Kathryn expressed an interest in meeting up with the couple in England down the road. “We have to bring the world together, not apart.”

Rush addressed that on his first day back yesterday. He said contrary to liberal assumptions, conservatives don't look at someone and immediately see their politics. He also thought it interesting that Elton's been getting a little grief from the left for doing this. And despite the crowd likely being full of nothing but people who believe ethnic, religious and sexual minorities should be rounded up and killed (that's who Limbaugh fans and friends are, right?), John got a standing ovation after every song, and every guest received a copy of his greatest hits, which I'm sure they naturally immediately burned and discarded.

Thanks, MrsSpringsteen, for that article. Like I said, I'm not mad at all that Elton performed there, I was just surprised and a bit confused, but I admire Elton for doing that, and I have to give a thumbs up to Rush for being open to the idea, too. I'm glad the whole thing went off well and everyone had a good time, that's wonderful.

Of course not everyone thinks that Limbaugh fans are that extreme, 2861U2, but you do have to admit that some out there on both ends will find it it a bit of an odd pairing. And given that some of Rush's listeners do have issues with homosexuals and everything surrounding them, it just doesn't make sense that if people are so willing to accept Elton performing there, then why do some of them still hold on to those issues?

Angela

There is likely no superstar the calibre of an Elton John in the target demographic that Rush could show off at his wedding. I'm not sure, say, a Ted Nugent or a Stephen Baldwin would carry the same pizzazz and definitely not the same newsworthy status. "Look at me. I'm rich enough to buy a private concert from Elton John for my wedding."

I never thought Limbaugh believed all the stuff he spouts out. But I never gave him a pass for it. He does as much damage as if he did.

Besides, if you get to rub shoulders with a big enough celebrity, all is forgiven--both sides. All this morality, ethics, etc., etc. are meant for the other people. Shit, it's not even hypocrisy when you were never meant to be bound by those rules.

There is likely no superstar the calibre of an Elton John in the target demographic that Rush could show off at his wedding. I'm not sure, say, a Ted Nugent or a Stephen Baldwin would carry the same pizzazz and definitely not the same newsworthy status. "Look at me. I'm rich enough to buy a private concert from Elton John for my wedding."

I never thought Limbaugh believed all the stuff he spouts out. But I never gave him a pass for it. He does as much damage as if he did.

Besides, if you get to rub shoulders with a big enough celebrity, all is forgiven--both sides. All this morality, ethics, etc., etc. are meant for the other people. Shit, it's not even hypocrisy when you were never meant to be bound by those rules.

I've said this for years, and I'm suprised by how his listeners are fooled.

I don't think he buys into the "religious moral" side of the conservative argument AT ALL. I wonder if he even attends church :shrug: I'm sure he doesn't mind keeping a second class citizenship, but not for any reason than to continue his feeling of superiority.

As long as he says the right stuff, doesn't matter if he does the right stuff. The validation is in the verbiage.

I've said this for years, and I'm suprised by how his listeners are fooled.

I don't think he buys into the "religious moral" side of the conservative argument AT ALL. I wonder if he even attends church :shrug: I'm sure he doesn't mind keeping a second class citizenship, but not for any reason than to continue his feeling of superiority.

how many right wing, Ted Nugent, Lee Greenwood fans listen to this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Yrg9xNSS0

Rush addressed that on his first day back yesterday. He said contrary to liberal assumptions, conservatives don't look at someone and immediately see their politics. He also thought it interesting that Elton's been getting a little grief from the left for doing this. And despite the crowd likely being full of nothing but people who believe ethnic, religious and sexual minorities should be rounded up and killed (that's who Limbaugh fans and friends are, right?), John got a standing ovation after every song, and every guest received a copy of his greatest hits, which I'm sure they naturally immediately burned and discarded.

I'm sure they would have stood up and cheered for Bill "Bojangles" Robinson too. Or Nat King Cole. Who doesn't enjoy a great entertainer? Long as they know their place, I've got no problem with them right?

In truth though, I agree with BonoSaint's analysis. Any one of the 400 invited guests is already in on the joke so I don't think any of them would have had an issue with Elton John's homosexuality.

I never understood why the left doesn't just ignore the man. His listeners gave him his celebrity and some influence, but it was the left that gave him his power, his bogeyman status. Instead of frothing every time he speaks (which only succeeds in giving him more publicity and more stature and frustrating the left), just ignore him and marginalize him. He's got a niche audience. Hold him to that niche.

Not here, of course. We don't add to his stature any and sometimes the conversations are way too fun.

Limbaugh Gets Mega Millions on Condo Sale

A year after railing about the high tax burden on wealthy New Yorkers, Rush Limbaugh, the conservative radio talk-show host, is severing one more tie with New York, selling his lushly decorated Fifth Avenue penthouse to an undisclosed buyer.

Mr. Limbaugh's 10-room condominium, which features a 30-foot-wide living room with fireplace and four terraces overlooking Central Park at East 86th Street, went into contract Thursday for a bit under the final $12.95 million asking price, brokers said.

One broker familiar with the transaction said the final price was about $11.5 million. Mr. Limbaugh paid just under $5 million for the apartment as well as a maid's room and a storage locker, in 1994.

11.5 million, not bad for a "hideous" apartment.

Limbaugh Gets Mega Millions on Condo Sale - WSJ.com

One broker familiar with the transaction said the final price was about $11.5 million. Mr. Limbaugh paid just under $5 million for the apartment as well as a maid's room and a storage locker, in 1994.

But much more than he paid for it and that's saying something in today's economy.

Elton talks about the Rush wedding here. It's an interesting interview

Elton John interview - Telegraph

"Earlier this year he caused outcry among the gay community when he performed, for a reported fee of $1 million, at the wedding of the splenetic right-wing American commentator Rush Limbaugh, a man who has been accused of being a homophobe, and who has described Aids as a 'hyped’ disease and claimed 'there was never any evidence’ that it could be transmitted heterosexually.

'When he asked me to play at his wedding, my agent said, “Well, of course you won’t be doing it,” ’ Elton says. 'But I said, “Well, let me think about that first.”’

Limbaugh, he says, is against gay marriage – 'But then so is President Obama. But Limbaugh’s not anti-civil partnerships, so maybe I can have a dialogue about that. I’ve put my foot in the water and so has he. I got on with him very well, got on very well with his wife. I don’t have the same politics, but that doesn’t really matter. And I think this year I can start to put things in motion by trying to get him on my side.’

The tide can change, he says. He faced similar criticism in 2001 when he joined Eminem on stage at the Grammy awards, ignoring the controversy about the rap singer’s allegedly homophobic lyrics. Eminem has now come out in support of gay marriage. 'For our civil partnership present he gave David and me two diamond-encrusted cock-rings.’ " :ohmy:

I really like this...

"Elton says that one of the most important turning points in his recovery was meeting Ryan White, a haemophiliac who in the late-1980s became a cause célèbre in America after becoming infected at the age of 13 with HIV from a contaminated blood transfusion. Ryan’s family were obliged to wage a lengthy legal battle in the face of a campaign by teachers and parents to ban him from school. His ordeal made Ryan, who died in 1990 at the age of 18, a figurehead for Aids education and research. Elton became a close friend and supporter of Ryan and his family. He spent the last week of Ryan’s life at the family home, 'making the coffee and fielding telephone calls’, and he was a pall-bearer at his funeral.

'And what I learnt from them in that one week was that my life was so out of kilter,’ he says. 'These people gave me an incredible example of how to lead one’s life as a Christian – forgiving, wonderful, not bitter; handling tragedy with such dignity, humility and generosity of spirit. And here I was complaining about the wallpaper in a hotel suite. What? What an absolute c*** you are. It made me think, you’ve got to make a change here, son.’ "

Money.

He did a one-off gig for money because it was for a fucking million dollars.

Very few people have morals that would prevent them from earning $500,000 / hr for maybe two hours of work.

I think we might be trying to inject politics into the Elton gig when at the end of the day, it's a fucking millllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllion dollars.

He has plenty of money, don't think he craves it that badly. He has that new album out so he'll probably make big bucks with that. I would buy it but that Leon Russell's voice sounds like Willie Nelson off key with a bad head cold to me. Too cryptkeeperesque.

I give him the benefit of the doubt-and if he really did do it for money then he still missed learning some things from Ryan White. What if he used the money for the Elton John AIDS Foundation?

My instinctive male intuition tells me some of the gals here would secretly love to hang out at his pad and drink sophisticated east side cocktails..

<>

Back
Top Bottom