Romney's Pick for VP:Your Thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I think he should try to get Condoleezza Rice on the ticket.

“She would be a political game changer for the 2012 race,” Williams writes, adding that her selection could never “be dismissed as racial tokenism” because her credentials are beyond question."

~Juan Williams

1. She wouldn't do it.

2. That would be the most transparent move ever, even moreso than Palin in 08.

3. That would open up far too many doors about her private life.

Palin was a good pick in 08, she got McCain more votes than he would have gotten without her or with all the others that were under consideration.
The same can be said of Dick Cheney in 2000. I have never liked the man. But, without him on the ticket, W most likely would have lost that election by millions of votes, instead of just 100s of thousands.

Rice and Rubio would both be terrible choices.

At this time, Senator Portman from Ohio is the best choice.

Warren Harding.

LMAO!

But seriously, just like Obama picked Hilary (his former rival) for secretary of state, I believe that, in the tradition of picking elderly established statesmen, like GWB did with Cheney and Obama did with Joe Biden, if Romney wins he should pick Newt Gingrich as VP. If not, then he should pick his closest rival, Rick Santorum for VP.

LMAO!

But seriously, just like Obama picked Hilary (his former rival) for secretary of state, I believe that, in the tradition of picking elderly established statesmen, like GWB did with Cheney and Obama did with Joe Biden, if Romney wins he should pick Newt Gingrich as VP. If not, then he should pick his closest rival, Rick Santorum for VP.

Rick would guarantee him a lost... so maybe I'm down for that too :wink:

I think Newt's ego is too big for VP.

AchtungBono said:
LMAO!

Romney choosing Gingrich would just be him handing the presidency to Obama on a silver platter.

Since Mitt has a problem with them womenfolk, he might go for the vajayjay. In the same condescending way that McCain did.

Maybe Nikki Haley, but she's got issues. She could get him the Tea Party vote.

Since Mitt has a problem with them womenfolk, he might go for the vajayjay. In the same condescending way that McCain did.

Maybe Nikki Haley*, but she's got issues. She could get him the Tea Party vote.

won't happen

doesn't want a Muslim* for a running mate.

* Nimrata Nikki Randhawa

financeguy said:
I personally feel that Bob Dole merits serious consideration.

He's still alive?

I really think that a relic of the past is the last thing that the Republicans will want... or, given that Romney is the head of the ticket, need. My question above wasn't serious, but I think there are a lot of people in this country who don't know who Dole is, or at least have no emotional feelings about him.

Speaking of relics from the past, I gave the matter some further thought and Romney should pick Robocop, from 1987's smash hit film 'Robocop', as his running mate.

why not go with a winner??

Dick Cheney

he's rested, recharged,
and most importantly he has a new heart from a ten year old Mumbai boy.

It will be someone of importance from either Ohio or Florida. He'll want a boost in one of those states and he needs to win both to have a shot at winning.

Maybe Nikki Haley, but she's got issues. She could get him the Tea Party vote.

It wouldn't surprise me. I'm not really looking forward to a Palin-esque scenario again, though, and like you said, condescending...no matter what he does I get the feeling he's going to have an incredibly hard time attracting female voters.

what an ironic statement...

You read my mind.

That Romney article you shared is interesting. It'd be fantastic to see the Republicans embracing more gay candidates in a sincere manner, and for Romney to actually stick up for someone once and stand by a choice he made. I've said it before, even if I don't agree with his views, I just want him to have a clear, concrete line of thinking about something. I can't stand Santorum, but at least he makes his views clear as a bell.

My early guess is Christie. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain and he's very popular in NJ.

But then, his mouth could be an issue, because the VP more than anyone else has to stay on message.

I chose Portman off the top of my head because they desperately need Ohio. But after thinking more about it, I'm changing my mind (as if these predictions mean anything...but it's fun). :wink:

I think he might want a Washington 'outsider'. Which translates into...a Governor. Although Rubio and other current DC pols seem to be popular choices, I just don't feel it. There is no need to 'fire up' the Tea Party, they are the most motivated to vote for Romney of anyone. That, and (in Rubio's case) Florida may be in the Red bag already, but with that said it is by far (29 EV's) the most important swing state.

There are 29 Republican Governors. Some of which add nothing to the ticket in terms of persona or more importantly Electoral Votes, because they are very Red States.

Here are 10 Republican Governors, from States that could arguably be in play -
Rick Scott - Florida (29 EV's)
Tom Corbett - Pennsylvania (20 EV's)
John Kasich - Ohio (18 EV's)
Rick Snyder - Michigan (16 EV's)
Chris Christie - New Jersey (14 EV's)
Bob McDonnell - Virginia (13 EV's)
Mitch Daniels - Indiana (11 EV's)
Terry Branstad - Iowa (6 EV's)
Rick Sandoval - Nevada (6 EV's)
Susana Martinez - New Mexico (5 EV's)

I crossed off Kasich and Scott because of the perceived baggage and Snyder and Corbett because Michigan and Pennsylvania probably aren't going Red in 2012. Chris Christie is also in a state that likely isn't going Red, and I think that is most important. Plus, again, you don't need to fire up the 'Tea Party', you need to move Independents. Indiana is going Red, bye bye Mitch. So is Iowa. And Nevada has more Mormons than any place outside of Utah. I don't know what the deal with McConnell is...he isn't mentioned much, which probably means there is some perceived baggage there as well.

So, if he goes with someone in DC, I still think it's Portman over Rubio and all the rest.

But if he wants to stay outside of DC, he might go with Susana Martinez.
5 EV's is more significant than it seems. And they are having big problems with women.
If Romney gets Florida (very plausible) and one other big state, maybe Ohio (plausible), and then adds NM (if she is a popular Governor), that just might win him the election.

So, to sum, I'd predict there are one of three paths.
1) Portman - do whatever he can to win Ohio, assuming Florida will fall in the column.
2) Martinez - think bigger (women, long term strategy) and smaller at the same time.
3) The 'John Edwards' lay-up. Unify/pacify the party. And in that event, you could choose from several people, Rubio would likely be the most obvious, followed by Christie, then Daniels and then...(gulp) maybe even Santorum. Although I doubt it.

I would eliminate #3, personally. John Kerry said his biggest regret was choosing John Edwards over Dick Gephart (even before it became public what a douche Edwards was). That surely didn't go unnoticed. Unifying the party is way overrated. People, nationally, don't vote for the bottom of the ticket. (See: Quayle - 1988) That's why the EV strategy makes the most sense to me. Although it definitely doesn't always work (Gore - 1992) if I am Romney, this is the way I go. All those pissed off people are voting for you anyway.

A lot will obviously be determined by how those Florida and Ohio polls are looking around June. I think the major damage to come, from the Left side (in terms of negative ads) - is all going to be about women. That makes the most sense for them to do. It's easily done and the female demographic is obviously HUGE. Plus, there is possible help by having the surname 'Martinez' on the ticket with the conservative (read: religious) Latinos, of which there are MANY.

Back
Top Bottom