Rogue JetBlue attendant: Hero or villain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he's a hero. Work in any kind of job dealing with the public and you can relate.

If the story is true that this woman swore at him first and hit him in the head with either the bag or the overhead bin, then he simply swore back at her and went down in a blaze of glory. I just love that he took a beer from the galley too before he went down the chute. Every person has a breaking point and after dealing with people in that job for over 20 years..well he did it in style.

His lawyer says his mother has lung cancer and it has been very stressful for him.

steven_slater_jetblue_10_480x360.jpg

I think he's an idiot. Just think of you being the traveler waiting for that plane's connection.
Screw him, there are worse jobs out there.

Please, gimme a fucking break.

:down:

Passengers who don't follow instructions can mess up your connection too :shrug:

You're not supposed to get up to get your bags before you are allowed to. There are worse jobs but people don't have the right to treat flight attendants like crap or to verbally abuse them.

Can I just say the word "hero" has lost all its meaning because of the situations apply it to?

In Washington, there are signs to report littering, or driving in the express lanes with only one person in the car. The phone number is something like 206-555-HERO.

Yeah, I'm going to rat out some dude with only one person in the car. I'M A FUCKING HERO!

There's nothing "heroic" or "villainous" about it. I feel for him, jobs in customer relations are a pain in the ass, and obviously he's having his own personal issues, but, personally, if I ever freaked out like that at my job, I'd expect repercussions as well, regardless of how much of a jackass the person was.

TMZ has learned JetBlue's most infamous flight attendant Steven Slater is currently "in transportation" to a Rikers Island correctional facility, this according to NYC Department of Corrections.

Earlier today, Slater was arraigned on 2 counts of criminal mischief, 2 counts of reckless endangerment and 1 count of criminal trespassing ... all stemming from an altercation with a passenger on a JetBlue aircraft yesterday.

If convicted, Slater could face up to 7 years in federal prison.

0810-steven-friend-sayin-credit.jpg

This woman from Huffington Post was on the plane. I think she nails it as to why people can relate to this guy. And I agree with her, I think passive aggressive politeness is far worse.

"And I gotta say, the guy made my day.

The funny thing is, I was seated on this flight yesterday -- JetBlue #1052, Pittsburgh to JFK -- next to a lady who was scared to fly. At the outset, she pulled out a rosary and started praying (that's not unusual, especially on a flight from Pittsburgh, which is a heavily Catholic city).

As we ascended, the turbulence was a bit more intense than typical, but nothing to be alarmed over. She was crossing herself and fidgeting, so I told her, "There's nothing to worry about. I've been flying multiple times a month all my life and this is normal."

She thanked me, and we got to talking a bit. I told her the same thing -- "it's totally normal"-- when we heard the bump of the wheels coming down prior to landing.

It was when we stood up to disembark -- in those annoying moments when everyone is waiting to be released from the metal can we've been packed in together -- that Steven Slater commandeered the PA system and issued his rant. I didn't take notes so the following is not exact, but a paraphrase: "F--- you! F--- all of you! I'm f------ through with this! I'VE HAD IT! I've been doing this for 28 f------ years and I can't take it anymore. And for the f----- a-----who told me to f--- off: f--- you! That's it! I'm done! F--- you all!"

At that point the older Catholic lady looked back at me and crossed herself, and I told her, "No, that is not normal."

College students sitting nearby were laughing. One of them mentioned that a flight attendant had been bleeding and speculated that that might be "the guy" who'd just engaged in the rant.

I missed Slater's inflation of the emergency chute, and didn't know until I woke up this morning about his racing home to Belle Harbor, Queens in his silver Jeep Wrangler and hopping into bed with his boyfriend (leave it to the great New York Post to get those wonderful details).

Overall, it got me to thinking: in a way it's a shame things like this don't happen more often. Let me explain: in an age when, for good reason, authorities are constantly on the alert for terrorists and mass shooters, when any highway altercation, we are warned, can escalate into a gunfight, when eighty-year-old women are forced to relinquish their knitting needles and nursing mothers their bottles of milk at airport screening because of dread of vicious acts of brutality, Americans must restrain ourselves and behave obediently at all times in public places. Current mores leave no room, no outlet, for the venting of frustrations, or for freewheeling, spontaneous behavior of any kind.

No one who would engage in deliberate violence against another person is doing so because of petty frustrations; obviously, something deeper is askew in such an individual. But what about the rest of us? The "normal" decent people who feel fed up with the lack of civility, the many little humiliations, of everyday life? People who would never dream of doing anything violent, and who--because of the actions of a few truly evil people--are prevented from expressing normal frustrations, normal anger, out of (often justified) fear that someone might "go crazy," show up packing a gun, etc.? Sometimes we need to get in someone's face and tell that jerk to f--- off. Likewise, sometimes people just need to get out of a situation, to take an escape, when doing so does not harm anyone else.

Sometimes, in other words, people need to rip off their masks of social nicety and express feelings that are normal.

I did not feel in any way threatened by Steven Slater's rant, and I didn't take it personally. I was not insulted by it, but amused. I'd rather hear a flight attendant relate to me as a human being-- "F--- you all!"-- than be on the receiving end of phony, passive aggressive politeness. So "F--- you, too, Steven Slater, you lucky Motherf-----! Hope you get a book deal out of this!"

That said, I'm glad Slater wasn't the pilot."

I have only heard basic coverage of this on the news, but I don't have a ton of sympathy for the guy.

What I will say is that I'm guessing that JetBlue's flight attendants aren't unionized. Not that unions are the savior of every working-person, especially flight attendants, but they do provide a safe platform to vent grievances about working conditions, etc. Stronger employee rights would help stop things like this from happening. Every day, especially in this economy, employees are asked to do more and more with less and less. Pilots and flight attendants catch some of the worst of this, but that is no reason to snap.

Yes, he should be fired. Yes, I think he should spend a little time in prison (he of all people should know that you don't F*** with an airplane these days). Yes, I think he should be made to pay for the aircraft damage (replacing the emergency slide). But, I hope he doesn't loose his retirement.

I think we are going to see this more and more, along with more workplace shootings.

He was supposedly heading out to CA to settle his mother's affairs, so she must be close to death. His father recently died from ALS. That kind of stress and emotional upheaval, combined with a situation in which someone treats you like that..not every person can hold it together.

When you're interacting with anyone you never know what's going on in their personal life. That's one reason why it's best to try to treat people with basic human respect and kindness-no matter how much you might think that they're there to serve your every whim or how much "fun" you might think it is to do otherwise. I don't know the details regarding how he treated the passenger initially-but the other passengers are saying that he politely asked the passenger not to remove the bag until the plane was in full stop.

Beyond JetBlue: The Pop Culture Guide to Quitting Your Job - Culture - The Atlantic

With economic recovery still stalled, quitting any job requires some serious intestinal fortitude, But the sheer audacity of Slater and Jenny's departures from their jobs might serve as a shining example for those tired of being abused or misused in the workplace. However, simply swearing your way out of the office lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. With the "I Quit" scene a pop culture favorite , here's a general guide to quitting in style.

Rule #1: Keep Your Remarks Short
An extended rant describing your frustration with the poor quality of coffee in the breakroom will ruin your chance of future sympathy and support from your soon-to-be ex-coworkers (assuming that's a priority). Take a hint from Scarface (played by Guillermo Diaz) in "Half Baked"; say what you need to say, and get out:
YouTube - ‪scarface quits his job‬‎
Rule #2: Make Your Reasons For Leaving Clear
Scarface kept his comments brief, but they were fairly substanceless. Give your bosses something to think about so they don't drive away another valuable employee in the future. If it's the flair you hate (like Jennifer Aniston in Office Space), make it clear:
YouTube - ‪Joanna Quits‬‎
Rule #3: Have A Plan
Kevin Spacey lays out his complaints about his job in American Beauty more formally than Jennifer Aniston, but his major victory involves having a plan. No, we aren't condoning blackmail whatsoever since it's remarkably uncouth (and illegal), but Spacey had some foresight concerning his impending unemployment and took what he could from his job before leaving. If you're going to quit, at least know what's coming next.
YouTube - ‪american beauty- "My job consists of..."‬‎
Rule #4: Make An Impression
Sure, Tom Cruise was forced out in "Jerry Maguire," but we believe he'd mentally quit in the midst of his mission-statement inspired psychic awakening. Jerry didn't fume and fuss; he made an inspirational exist, at least enough to get Renee Zellweger (and his fish) to join him. No swearing, no tantrums, no throwing of meat products: Jerry exited in style, and his exit was one that will probably live on in his coworkers' minds forever.
YouTube - ‪Come with me‬‎
Rule #5: Get Closure
If there's some way to make your departure more real in your mind, make it so. Don't dwell on your decisions. You're gone. Now move on:
YouTube - ‪Office Space Printer Scene (Original HQ)‬‎

I don't know what to think of this. I wouldn't say he's a hero, because he didn't save lives or anything. Yes, I could understand why he snapped. I worked in retail in my college years and there were certainly days when I felt like doing what this guy did.

But the thing is, I had the ability to get a different job. Why didn't this flight attendant get a new job if he hated this one so much?

The guy is 100 per cent wrong.

He should lose his job. Nothing heroic or funny about his behavior.

If you wanted to quit, he should have waited to deplane with everyone else, and quit his job.

If nothing else, he proved he is as big of an ass as any of the passengers he may want to complain about.

JetBlue Attendant Held on Bail as His Lawyer Offers Details of Flight
By ANDY NEWMAN AND MICK MEENAN

Steven Slater, the JetBlue flight attendant who activated an exit chute on a just-landed plane at Kennedy International Airport after a dispute with a passenger Monday and slid to notoriety, did not post the $2,500 bail set by a judge at his arraignment Tuesday morning and remains in custody.

At the arraignment on felony charges of reckless endangerment and criminal mischief in a packed room in the basement of criminal court in Queens, Mr. Slater’s court-appointed lawyer, Howard Turman, said that Mr. Slater’s activation of the slide was not reckless. He said Mr. Slater followed the proper procedure for activating the slide, checking out the window first to make sure no one was on the tarmac who could be struck by it.

Mr. Turman, of the Legal Aid Society, offered an account of the flight, JetBlue 1052 from Pittsburgh, that he said justified Mr. Slater’s actions. He told reporters aid that on the ground in Pittsburgh, a female passenger had been verbally and physically abusive to Mr. Slater when he intervened as she squabbled with a male passenger over access to the overhead luggage compartment.

“The woman initially at Pittsburgh slammed the overhead into his head,” Mr. Turman said of Mr. Slater.

A passenger on the flight, Greg Kanczes, said that he saw a large, fresh-looking gash on Mr. Slater’s forehead at the beginning of the flight. “It was about and inch-and-half long, and it was a big red mark or cut,” Mr. Kanczes said by phone Tuesday. “There was no bandage.”

In previous accounts offered by the authorities, Mr. Slater’s main altercation with the passenger had come at the end of the flight, not the beginning, with the passenger pulling a bag out of the overhead compartment that struck Mr. Slater in the head. The version offered by Mr. Turman indicates a longer-brewing conflict between the two parties.

Mr. Turman said that on the ground at Kennedy, the female passenger “was outraged and cursing” at Mr. Slater, who “wanted to avoid a conflict.”

Law enforcement officials said that after the passenger cursed at Mr. Slater, he grabbed the intercom, cursed her out, bid passengers goodbye, grabbed a beer, and activated the inflatable exit chute.

When asked why Mr. Slater chose to go avoid the conflict by taking the emergency slide, Mr. Turman replied, “It was right there.”

JetBlue Attendant Held on Bail as Lawyer Cites Abuse on Flight - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com

i hope she gets prosecuted for failing to follow a crew members instructions, just because she's clearly a bitch.

This girl is also a hero

girl quits job on dry erase board exposes farmville boss called her hopa theCHIVE

I would've broke 'er, if you get my meaning

Wow, this is the quitting story that everybody should be talking about today. Awesome. Although the visual aids certainly help. I'm sure if there was video of this JetBlue dude actually grabbing a beer and sliding out of the plane screaming "SUCK IT, BITCHES!" or whatever he said, it would be even cooler. But, damn. This girl is a charmer. She's got the nice handwriting and the facial expressions down to a science. Good for her.

Jenny is awesome.

As for Slater, yeah, he deserved what he got. But I can't really be mad at him for some reason.

I'm a very even-tempered person and generally don't act out, but I remember once while working at a grocery store in college when I accidentally bumped a customer with a cart--just a light bump but a bump. I immediately apologized but he just went crazy on me, cursing at me and threatening to "put me through a fucking wall." I looked at him and said, "I said I'm sorry, asshole!" and stalked off. My boss heard the whole thing but later told me he had no problem with what I did.

Of course that's nowhere near what Slater did, but I do understand reaching that moment when enough is enough.

Damn, that sucks.

It does make sense, though. Her combination of looks and skillz at conveying thought and emotion with her expressions should definitely have signaled that she was an actress of some sort. Too good to be true.

Back
Top Bottom