Rogue JetBlue attendant: Hero or villain? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Let's keep the "hero" label for actual, you know, heroes.

Having a meltdown does not a hero make, regardless of how understandable the context.
We talked about that earlier No one thinks he's any kind of hero in terms of what that word actually means.

I don't know what kind of job he'll be able to get now, that's for sure. Reality tv and talk show circuit I guess, and that 15 minutes will wear out very fast. By next week he'll probably be the most reviled man in America, that's the way these things tend to go here.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

I don't know what kind of job he'll be able to get now, that's for sure. Reality tv and talk show circuit I guess, and that 15 minutes will wear out very fast. By next week he'll probably be the most reviled man in America, that's the way these things tend to go here.
Or at least the most bored-by man in America.

I would personally love to see him host a daytime talk show.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #48
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
I'm for more consequences for passengers--arrest, loss of FF status, banning from flying that airline, suspension or banning from flying any airline, etc. Make these assholes think twice before they get uppity and selfish. Flying is not a right in America.
How many business people would loose their job if they weren't allowed to fly? That might make them a little nicer and more appreciative, or, if they are someone who might not be able to control themselves, then they might consider driving or taking the train.
so true. it seems to be more of an american thing, it's so refreshing to fly once i leave the us because the attendants and passengers are all so much nicer, genuinely nice. but yes, like you said flying isn't a right.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:59 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Ok, in all seriousness, I don't think anyone's debating that most jobs come with stresses and strains, but those of us that have them should be greatful to be working and some days are better than others, and we all need suck it up and deal with it, because that's just part and parcel, etc. What I think people are applauding is simply the fact that he told this ignorant passenger off, which is something any one of us who've traveled were thinking 'about damn time!', and really, if any of us were to quit an aggravating job where we weren't appreciated, even demeaned, we'd ALL fantasize about going out with a bang. I mean COME ON, this classy bitch called him a mother-f***** for doing his job and looking out for her safety and the safety of those around her, the guy was having an already, apparently, horrendous day, snapped, dropped a few F-bombs, grabbed a couple beers << lolz - best part, and slid down the emergency slide. Damnit, if that doesn't smack of pure awesome and win, I don't know what does. Ok, he could've taken it all in stride, yes yes yes, blah blah blah, I still think it was an epic exit and he will forever(or for the next 15 minutes) be a folk hero because of it.(No, and I don't think anyone's using the word 'hero' in a literal sense.)

On a side note, personally, I would've deployed the slide and sent the bitch down it ass-first instead, but that's just me.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #50
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplereign View Post

I feel for the guy (in as much as he sounds like he's had a rough trot personally) but, you know what, we all have s**t to deal with and whilst some days are easier than others (especially in the fabbity fab world of customer service), ultimately no one wins when you wig out . . . and, hello, if you're feeling that rubbish when you wake up in the morning, take a personal day

slides
At my job we were discouraged from taking "personal days". If a staff member was sick and replaced the store manager got shit from head office for going over the wage limit. I'd tell them to shove it when I was in charge but a lot of others wouldn't, including my boss. According to them bad morale causes sick days. If the other staff in the store suffer, the staff member will think twice before letting the team down and won't chuck sickies. She will actually tell you no if you ring in sick, again I would tell her to shove it but not everyone would.

Agree with Kram though, the passenger acted badly and she needs to be made accountable for her part in this. I'd feel like shoving her out of the plane myself!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #51
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Me, too.

How nice that people feel secure to quit their jobs or to sit and whine about their jobs. I know too many people out of work to have much sympathy.
I left my job of 12 years recently and don't feel secure at all! If I'd stayed, I'd end up bitter and twisted, forced into a sideways promotion I didn't want and possibly be dead, it really was that bad. You get to a point where you have to take the leap for your own sanity regardless of whether you end up couch surfing or on the street.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #52
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I left my job of 12 years recently and don't feel secure at all! If I'd stayed, I'd end up bitter and twisted, forced into a sideways promotion I didn't want and possibly be dead, it really was that bad. You get to a point where you have to take the leap for your own sanity regardless of whether you end up couch surfing or on the street.
this. personal sanity comes above financial gain for me.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:41 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:34 AM
the story does not add up

it never did

Quote:
Slater allegedly used the plane’s intercom to swear at a passenger with whom he’d had an earlier confrontation. He then slid down an emergency chute on the plane and eventually drove home.

Investigators have already interviewed a woman in her 70s who was seated in one of the first nine rows of the plane, where the altercation between Slater and the passenger allegedly occurred.

She told authorities she recalled nothing like the confrontation Slater described, sources said.

Slater is free on $2,500 bail. He was charged Tuesday with reckless endangerment and criminal mischief and trespassing for deploying the emergency slide, which prosecutors said could have injured or killed anyone underneath it when it was engaged.
JetBlue interviewing passengers for their version of flight attendant incident - BostonHerald.com

the plane will be out of service for days until a new chute is installed
how many people missed their flights or were delayed for hours because of this person?

what a jerk bag.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:34 AM
YouTube - 空中少爺鬧爆惡乘客 跳機劈炮

well, there it is.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #55
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Oh I know. Why do we let jobs steal our souls?
(I refer back to my initial comment about unions. We need more unionization in the U.S. a la Europe.)

It just pisses me off because Slater will probably sell enough books out of this that it doesn't matter that he quit his job. American culture is so sickening that we reward media whores while janitors, teachers, nurses, etc. just have to take it day to day.

At least Sully Sullenberger got the attention he deserved. Slater will probably get as much as he did, but compare their actions.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Why don't our news programs do this? Hilarious!

Quote:

At least Sully Sullenberger got the attention he deserved. Slater will probably get as much as he did, but compare their actions.
You know I just don't think so. In a week, this guy will be forgotten and this thread will be on page two. Maybe he gets some second life as some sort of reality-TV sort, but I don't see much coming from that either.

For me, there's no question that what he did was wrong. But I don't see what's so reprehensible about understanding why he did it. It doesn't bother me that some people got a kick out of his actions. It's not in the same league is that kid who was stealing airplanes and taking joyrides. I have a hard time understanding people's lauding him as some sort of hero.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post

Having a meltdown does not a hero make, regardless of how understandable the context.
Matthew 21:12-13.

I know, I know. Not comparable but I'm just sayin'
Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #58
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
You know I just don't think so. In a week, this guy will be forgotten and this thread will be on page two. Maybe he gets some second life as some sort of reality-TV sort, but I don't see much coming from that either.
Talkshow circuit. Book appearances. Trial coverage.

I think there may need to be an update to Warhol's 15 Minutes. Maybe now it's a minimum of 15 media cycles.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Talkshow circuit. Book appearances. Trial coverage.
Maybe. If there's little else going on in the world to eclipse it, maybe.

but I'm putting my money on forgotten by next week. I'll bump this thread back up a week from now (that is if I don't forget).
Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #60
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Maybe. If there's little else going on in the world to eclipse it, maybe.

but I'm putting my money on forgotten by next week. I'll bump this thread back up a week from now (that is if I don't forget).