Rogue JetBlue attendant: Hero or villain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This woman from Huffington Post was on the plane. I think she nails it as to why people can relate to this guy. And I agree with her, I think passive aggressive politeness is far worse.

"And I gotta say, the guy made my day.

The funny thing is, I was seated on this flight yesterday -- JetBlue #1052, Pittsburgh to JFK -- next to a lady who was scared to fly. At the outset, she pulled out a rosary and started praying (that's not unusual, especially on a flight from Pittsburgh, which is a heavily Catholic city).

As we ascended, the turbulence was a bit more intense than typical, but nothing to be alarmed over. She was crossing herself and fidgeting, so I told her, "There's nothing to worry about. I've been flying multiple times a month all my life and this is normal."

She thanked me, and we got to talking a bit. I told her the same thing -- "it's totally normal"-- when we heard the bump of the wheels coming down prior to landing.

It was when we stood up to disembark -- in those annoying moments when everyone is waiting to be released from the metal can we've been packed in together -- that Steven Slater commandeered the PA system and issued his rant. I didn't take notes so the following is not exact, but a paraphrase: "F--- you! F--- all of you! I'm f------ through with this! I'VE HAD IT! I've been doing this for 28 f------ years and I can't take it anymore. And for the f----- a-----who told me to f--- off: f--- you! That's it! I'm done! F--- you all!"

At that point the older Catholic lady looked back at me and crossed herself, and I told her, "No, that is not normal."

College students sitting nearby were laughing. One of them mentioned that a flight attendant had been bleeding and speculated that that might be "the guy" who'd just engaged in the rant.

I missed Slater's inflation of the emergency chute, and didn't know until I woke up this morning about his racing home to Belle Harbor, Queens in his silver Jeep Wrangler and hopping into bed with his boyfriend (leave it to the great New York Post to get those wonderful details).

Overall, it got me to thinking: in a way it's a shame things like this don't happen more often. Let me explain: in an age when, for good reason, authorities are constantly on the alert for terrorists and mass shooters, when any highway altercation, we are warned, can escalate into a gunfight, when eighty-year-old women are forced to relinquish their knitting needles and nursing mothers their bottles of milk at airport screening because of dread of vicious acts of brutality, Americans must restrain ourselves and behave obediently at all times in public places. Current mores leave no room, no outlet, for the venting of frustrations, or for freewheeling, spontaneous behavior of any kind.

No one who would engage in deliberate violence against another person is doing so because of petty frustrations; obviously, something deeper is askew in such an individual. But what about the rest of us? The "normal" decent people who feel fed up with the lack of civility, the many little humiliations, of everyday life? People who would never dream of doing anything violent, and who--because of the actions of a few truly evil people--are prevented from expressing normal frustrations, normal anger, out of (often justified) fear that someone might "go crazy," show up packing a gun, etc.? Sometimes we need to get in someone's face and tell that jerk to f--- off. Likewise, sometimes people just need to get out of a situation, to take an escape, when doing so does not harm anyone else.

Sometimes, in other words, people need to rip off their masks of social nicety and express feelings that are normal.

I did not feel in any way threatened by Steven Slater's rant, and I didn't take it personally. I was not insulted by it, but amused. I'd rather hear a flight attendant relate to me as a human being-- "F--- you all!"-- than be on the receiving end of phony, passive aggressive politeness. So "F--- you, too, Steven Slater, you lucky Motherf-----! Hope you get a book deal out of this!"

That said, I'm glad Slater wasn't the pilot."

:yes:

Having been in retail for 12 years I can completely understand this guy. Often people forgot we were there to serve, not be a servant. I could not put up with some customers for a whole flight, ten minutes is enough.
Yes it is your job to smile, be friendly and helpful. It is not your job to take abuse, have items hurled at you, have you or your passengers lives possibly endangered by a hot-headed impatient bitch who puts her own needs above every other person on the plane.

It wasn't right but how good would it feel to go out in a blaze of glory like that. :up:

I missed Slater's inflation of the emergency chute, and didn't know until I woke up this morning about his racing home to Belle Harbor, Queens in his silver Jeep Wrangler and hopping into bed with his boyfriend (leave it to the great New York Post to get those wonderful details).

reason i find it hard to believe this story is because of the claim of missing the slide deployment, because....

YouTube - ‪Boeing 777 Escape Slide Test‬‎

:yes:

Having been in retail for 12 years I can completely understand this guy. Often people forgot we were there to serve, not be a servant. I could not put up with some customers for a whole flight, ten minutes is enough.
Yes it is your job to smile, be friendly and helpful. It is not your job to take abuse, have items hurled at you, have you or your passengers lives possibly endangered by a hot-headed impatient bitch who puts her own needs above every other person on the plane.

It wasn't right but how good would it feel to go out in a blaze of glory like that. :up:
:up: so true. if i'm in a positively grumpy/bitchy mood, i just stfu. it's not the guy at the store's fault that i've had a crap day. so i'll just force smiles and say nothing and be a forgettable middle-of-the-road customer than take it out on them.

whatever happens to slater, i hope both him and jetblue sue her. i'm not sue-happy, but she was a major catalyst in him losing his job and such, and jetblue having their name in the papers like this can't be good, surely.

I'm sure he was forced to take quite a bit of crap in that job for all those years, and to wear that mask of civility. It's very easy to sit back and evaluate what he should have done when you're not in the middle of it-and not just for one day, it's every day for 20 whatever years in a job that has gotten progressively more difficult. What about the clearly evident bump and cut on his head? He was supposed to just calmly accept that too?

Now if he's been doing things like that numerous times over the course of his career as a flight attendant, that's a different story. Maybe other information will come out about that, I don't know. Do I think he could have and should have handled this differently in hindsight and from my EASYchair? Yes. But I still feel empathy for him if the facts that have been reported so far are all of the facts, and accurate.

I'm sure he was forced to take quite a bit of crap in that job for all those years, and to wear that mask of civility. It's very easy to sit back and evaluate what he should have done when you're not in the middle of it-and not just for one day, it's every day for 20 whatever years in a job that has gotten progressively more difficult. What about the clearly evident bump and cut on his head? He was supposed to just calmly accept that too?

Now if he's been doing things like that numerous times over the course of his career as a flight attendant, that's a different story. Maybe other information will come out about that, I don't know. Do I think he could have and should have handled this differently in hindsight and from my EASYchair? Yes. But I still feel empathy for him if the facts that have been reported so far are all of the facts, and accurate.

I feel bad for him and all flight attendants (which is why I try to be as courteous and helpful as I can as a flyer).
But, you have to be a professional; you have the power and status in that situation. You need to turn it around on the unruly passenger. Other passengers will back up flight attendants in regard to unruly passengers.

I'm for more consequences for passengers--arrest, loss of FF status, banning from flying that airline, suspension or banning from flying any airline, etc. Make these assholes think twice before they get uppity and selfish. Flying is not a right in America.
How many business people would loose their job if they weren't allowed to fly? That might make them a little nicer and more appreciative, or, if they are someone who might not be able to control themselves, then they might consider driving or taking the train.

He was in the wrong to do what he did as a flight attendant and must accept the consequences. We are praising the victim rather than looking to punish the perpetrator. The only thing that will help other flight attendants is to have consequences for abusive passengers.

since everyone thinks this guy is such a swell

here's what we get from now on

YouTube - Your next Flight Attendant;

:lol:

I feel for the guy (in as much as he sounds like he's had a rough trot personally) but, you know what, we all have s**t to deal with and whilst some days are easier than others (especially in the fabbity fab world of customer service), ultimately no one wins when you wig out . . . and, hello, if you're feeling that rubbish when you wake up in the morning, take a personal day :shrug:

reason i find it hard to believe this story is because of the claim of missing the slide deployment, because....

YouTube - ‪Boeing 777 Escape Slide Test‬‎

slides :heart:

I'm sick of hearing about this guy already.

I was even sicker when I saw the front page of USA Today this morning with the picture of him smiling and holding up his Jet Blue badge.

I agree that it isn't anyone's job to take abuse but people who work with the public ARE being paid to not react to that abuse, whether that means walking away from a customer or having a co-worker take over the situation so it doesn't escalate.

I was listening on the radio, and someone was explaining that they will have to prosecute him on Federal charges due to tampering with the aircraft. That can't be allowed to pass or it sets a really bad precedent for the next person who messes with something on a plane regardless of how nonthreatening or nondestructive it was.

Let's keep the "hero" label for actual, you know, heroes.

Having a meltdown does not a hero make, regardless of how understandable the context.

Let's keep the "hero" label for actual, you know, heroes.

Having a meltdown does not a hero make, regardless of how understandable the context.

We talked about that earlier :) No one thinks he's any kind of hero in terms of what that word actually means.

I don't know what kind of job he'll be able to get now, that's for sure. Reality tv and talk show circuit I guess, and that 15 minutes will wear out very fast. By next week he'll probably be the most reviled man in America, that's the way these things tend to go here.

I don't know what kind of job he'll be able to get now, that's for sure. Reality tv and talk show circuit I guess, and that 15 minutes will wear out very fast. By next week he'll probably be the most reviled man in America, that's the way these things tend to go here.

Or at least the most bored-by man in America.

I would personally love to see him host a daytime talk show.

I'm for more consequences for passengers--arrest, loss of FF status, banning from flying that airline, suspension or banning from flying any airline, etc. Make these assholes think twice before they get uppity and selfish. Flying is not a right in America.
How many business people would loose their job if they weren't allowed to fly? That might make them a little nicer and more appreciative, or, if they are someone who might not be able to control themselves, then they might consider driving or taking the train.
so true. it seems to be more of an american thing, it's so refreshing to fly once i leave the us because the attendants and passengers are all so much nicer, genuinely nice. but yes, like you said flying isn't a right.

Ok, in all seriousness, I don't think anyone's debating that most jobs come with stresses and strains, but those of us that have them should be greatful to be working and some days are better than others:bonodrum:, and we all need suck it up and deal with it, because that's just part and parcel, etc. What I think people are applauding is simply the fact that he told this ignorant passenger off, which is something any one of us who've traveled were thinking 'about damn time!', and really, if any of us were to quit an aggravating job where we weren't appreciated, even demeaned, we'd ALL fantasize about going out with a bang. I mean COME ON, this classy bitch called him a mother-f***** for doing his job and looking out for her safety and the safety of those around her, the guy was having an already, apparently, horrendous day, snapped, dropped a few F-bombs, grabbed a couple beers << lolz - best part, and slid down the emergency slide. Damnit, if that doesn't smack of pure awesome and win, I don't know what does. :lol: :lol: Ok, he could've taken it all in stride, yes yes yes, blah blah blah, I still think it was an epic exit and he will forever(or for the next 15 minutes) be a folk hero because of it.(No, and I don't think anyone's using the word 'hero' in a literal sense.)

On a side note, personally, I would've deployed the slide and sent the bitch down it ass-first instead, but that's just me. :heart:

I feel for the guy (in as much as he sounds like he's had a rough trot personally) but, you know what, we all have s**t to deal with and whilst some days are easier than others (especially in the fabbity fab world of customer service), ultimately no one wins when you wig out . . . and, hello, if you're feeling that rubbish when you wake up in the morning, take a personal day :shrug:

slides :heart:

At my job we were discouraged from taking "personal days". If a staff member was sick and replaced the store manager got shit from head office for going over the wage limit. I'd tell them to shove it when I was in charge but a lot of others wouldn't, including my boss. According to them bad morale causes sick days.:huh: If the other staff in the store suffer, the staff member will think twice before letting the team down and won't chuck sickies. She will actually tell you no if you ring in sick, again I would tell her to shove it but not everyone would.

Agree with Kram though, the passenger acted badly and she needs to be made accountable for her part in this. I'd feel like shoving her out of the plane myself!

Me, too.

How nice that people feel secure to quit their jobs or to sit and whine about their jobs. I know too many people out of work to have much sympathy.

I left my job of 12 years recently and don't feel secure at all! If I'd stayed, I'd end up bitter and twisted, forced into a sideways promotion I didn't want and possibly be dead, it really was that bad. You get to a point where you have to take the leap for your own sanity regardless of whether you end up couch surfing or on the street.

I left my job of 12 years recently and don't feel secure at all! If I'd stayed, I'd end up bitter and twisted, forced into a sideways promotion I didn't want and possibly be dead, it really was that bad. You get to a point where you have to take the leap for your own sanity regardless of whether you end up couch surfing or on the street.
this. personal sanity comes above financial gain for me.

the story does not add up

it never did

Slater allegedly used the plane’s intercom to swear at a passenger with whom he’d had an earlier confrontation. He then slid down an emergency chute on the plane and eventually drove home.

Investigators have already interviewed a woman in her 70s who was seated in one of the first nine rows of the plane, where the altercation between Slater and the passenger allegedly occurred.

She told authorities she recalled nothing like the confrontation Slater described, sources said.

Slater is free on $2,500 bail. He was charged Tuesday with reckless endangerment and criminal mischief and trespassing for deploying the emergency slide, which prosecutors said could have injured or killed anyone underneath it when it was engaged.

JetBlue interviewing passengers for their version of flight attendant incident - BostonHerald.com

the plane will be out of service for days until a new chute is installed
how many people missed their flights or were delayed for hours because of this person?

what a jerk bag.

Oh I know. Why do we let jobs steal our souls?
(I refer back to my initial comment about unions. We need more unionization in the U.S. a la Europe.)

It just pisses me off because Slater will probably sell enough books out of this that it doesn't matter that he quit his job. American culture is so sickening that we reward media whores while janitors, teachers, nurses, etc. just have to take it day to day.

At least Sully Sullenberger got the attention he deserved. Slater will probably get as much as he did, but compare their actions. :shrug:

:lol: Why don't our news programs do this? Hilarious!

At least Sully Sullenberger got the attention he deserved. Slater will probably get as much as he did, but compare their actions. :shrug:

You know I just don't think so. In a week, this guy will be forgotten and this thread will be on page two. Maybe he gets some second life as some sort of reality-TV sort, but I don't see much coming from that either.

For me, there's no question that what he did was wrong. But I don't see what's so reprehensible about understanding why he did it. It doesn't bother me that some people got a kick out of his actions. It's not in the same league is that kid who was stealing airplanes and taking joyrides. I have a hard time understanding people's lauding him as some sort of hero.

You know I just don't think so. In a week, this guy will be forgotten and this thread will be on page two. Maybe he gets some second life as some sort of reality-TV sort, but I don't see much coming from that either.

Talkshow circuit. Book appearances. Trial coverage.

I think there may need to be an update to Warhol's 15 Minutes. Maybe now it's a minimum of 15 media cycles.

Talkshow circuit. Book appearances. Trial coverage.

Maybe. If there's little else going on in the world to eclipse it, maybe.

but I'm putting my money on forgotten by next week. I'll bump this thread back up a week from now (that is if I don't forget).

Back
Top Bottom