Roadmap to HELL - One man caught on a barbed wire fence ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
coolian2 said:
largely iran going into any war would be tragic. practically only the madmen leaders in the country would be interested in any kind of war, and no doubt a lot of civillians would have a pretty terrible time of it, to put it lightly.

It would be hugely tragic. But if it's defensive, in response to an attack, the leadership would be very well supported. If its offensive, well, wouldn't/couldn't happen, in large part because 'the people' wouldn't support it.

You'll never hear about Iran using a nuclear weapon on anyone. You WILL, however, hear about a terrorist detonating a nuclear bomb that he/she somehow got her hands on inside of some western/western friendly nation's borders..

They'd hardly need a nuclear weapon for that. Already have thousands of conventional ballistic missiles available for inducing "martyrdom." Is that also what you'd call it if they chose to retaliate against an Israeli airstrike?
"The president of Iran should remember that Iran can also be wiped off the map." --Israeli Vice Premier Shimon Peres, May 8 2006
The only way to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons would be to invade, overthrow, and occupy longterm. By Israel's own admission, all an airstrike could achieve would be a few years' delay.

:eyebrow:

Foreign Policy, Feb. 3
Israel isn't having much luck with commercials these days. First there was the government-sponsored ad campaign late last year to persuade Israelis living in the United States to return home, which was yanked when it caused an uproar in the American Jewish community. Now, Iranian lawmaker Arsalan Fat'hipour is telling Iran's PressTV that the country may impose a ban on products from South Korean electronics manufacturer Samsung over a commercial depicting Israelis accidentally destroying an Iranian nuclear facility.

The ad couldn't come at a tenser time. Iranian leaders are accusing the Israeli spy agency Mossad of killing an Iranian nuclear scientist in January, and using increasingly heated rhetoric (just today, Iranian leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei called Israel a "cancerous tumor" that must be "cut"). Meanwhile, the media is abuzz with reports that an Israeli attack on Iranian nuclear facilities could be imminent.

In the commercial for the Israeli cable company HOT, four characters from the HOT television series Asfur, all (poorly) disguised as Iranian women, meet a Mossad agent in Iran who's watching the show on his Samsung tablet. In checking out the device's features, one of the characters accidentally presses a button that blows up a nearby nuclear plant.

Here's the commercial:

פרסומת להוט עם כוכבי עספור

PressTV has expressed outrage not only with the ad but also with its underlying assumptions--that Iran is a "primitive society" and that "Israel is powerful enough to easily destroy Iran's nuclear facilities or assassinate the country's nuclear scientists." Fat'hipour, the Iranian lawmaker, argues that Samsung produced the commercial to cozy up with Israel. But a Samsung spokesperson in Iran tells PressTV that HOT--not Samsung--produced the ad, which promotes a cable deal offering subscribers free Samsung tablets. HOT has informed CNN that it has no comment on the controversy.

Iran's tough words for Samsung, however, may be about more than just HOT's incendiary ad. Last month, the Korea Herald reported that the Iranian government had retaliated against South Korea's support for Western sanctions of Iranian oil imports by demanding that Korean companies remove their billboards in the capital.

^....LMFAO!

"Asfur" is one of the most succesful Israeli TV shows ever and its characters have added new slang to the language.

The reason they used this particular storyline for the commercial (which isn't for Samsung by the way) is because in the series these characters get caught up in a botched Mossad operation that they were witness to.

This commercial is absolutely BRILLIANT and very funny - and it's one of my favorites.

btw - "Asfur" has been bought for development as a series in the U.S - much like "Chatufim" was turned into "Homeland". You'll LOVE it!

Here is the intro to the second season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJvA6nmFGyU&feature=fvst

Have a nice day.

^ Speaking of slang, what do תיסלם and מסטבלט mean? (in the ad, when they're discussing the tablet)

I get why the dialogue and the characters are funny, though I'd have to say I struggle a bit squaring that with the not-at-all-funny recent events serving as a backdrop...

Last edited:
^ Speaking of slang, what do תיסלם and מסטבלט mean? (in the ad, when they're discussing the tablet)

I get why the dialogue and the characters are funny, though I'd have to say I struggle a bit squaring that with the not-at-all-funny recent events serving as a backdrop...

תיסלם - is slang for "way to go"....or another word for "cool"

סטלבט - means to lounge around and be "laid back"

As for the whole concept, Ahmadinejad is a big joke in Israel (even though we take his threats quite seriously) and we take any opportunity to poke fun at him. Also, there is so much speculation about whether or not Israel will attack Iran, it was inevitable that we'd joke about it - the same way we made fun of Saddam Hussein during the '91 gulf war.

סטלבט - means to lounge around and be "laid back"
Thanks! So this is what the short guy says, then? At 00:50? I couldn't figure out that part, because to me it sounded like ma ata mistablet, then they all look at him like he's said something totally stupid. So my thought was, maybe this is some kind of pun on "tablet"?--but I couldn't figure out what the pun is.

I do remember, from my own childhood, that there were commercials, cartoons and so on humorously referencing the (ongoing) Cold War, often with a CIA-vs.-KGB theme. So I wasn't surprised by that aspect of it. It's the seemingly flip attitude towards the recent string of "mysterious explosions in Iran" (as the short guy alludes to, after accidentally causing one) that startled me. The Iranian government's response to the ad was, of course, ridiculous regardless.

It's hardly a major story at the end of the day, I know, just marketers trying to be "edgy," but I often find these micro-level, popular culture expressions of broader conflicts worth examining.

Last edited:
Wake up America: Transcript And Video- PM Netanyahu's Speech at AIPAC Policy Conference 2012

From Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s speech to AIPAC

"Israel's fate is to continue to be the forward position of freedom in the Middle East.

The only place in the Middle East where minorities enjoy full civil rights;

the only place in the Middle East where Arabs enjoy full civil rights;

the only place in the Middle East where Christians are free to practice their faith;

the only place in the Middle East where real judges protect the rule of law."

The whole speech is worth watching but here, for those of you that wonder, are the reasons non-Jewish conservatives such as myself are such fervent supporters of Israel.

as for Iran's nuclear program:

"Of course, the best outcome would be if Iran decided to abandon its nuclear weapons program peacefully. No one would be happier than me and the people of Israel if Iran dismantled its program.

But so far, that hasn't happened. For fifteen years, I've been warning that a nuclear-armed Iran is a grave danger to my country and to the peace and security of the entire world.

For the last decade, the international community has tried diplomacy. It hasn't worked.

For six years, the international community has applied sanctions. That hasn't worked either.

I appreciate President Obama's recent efforts to impose even tougher sanctions against Iran. These sanctions are hurting Iran's economy, but unfortunately, Iran's nuclear program continues to march forward.

Israel has waited patiently for the international community to resolve this issue. We've waited for diplomacy to work. We've waited for sanctions to work. None of us can afford to wait much longer.

As Prime Minister of Israel, I will never let my people live in the shadow of annihilation."

The president's speech at AIPAC was quite good as well but the way he ended his speech really caught my ear:
There is no shortage of speeches on the friendship between the United States and Israel. But I’m also mindful of the proverb, “A man is judged by his deeds, not his words.” So if you want to know where my heart lies, look no further than what I have done - to stand up for Israel; to secure both of our countries and to see that the rough waters of our time lead to a peaceful and prosperous shore.

Haaretz, March 6
The Iran issue was the focus of the talks. It permeated everything from the agenda of the one-on-one meeting to Netanyahu's gift to Obama: a decorated copy of the Book of Esther, which will be read tomorrow night and Thursday morning at Purim services around the world. It recounts the story of the evil Persian King Ahasuerus and his viceroy, Haman, who tried but failed to annihilate the Jewish people. "Then, too, they wanted to wipe us out," Netanyahu told the president.

Did anyone see The Daily Show Thursday night? When they had that investigation (done in a comedic way of course) of the USA cutting off funding to UNESCO because the organization is including the Palestinian territories into its program?

I decided to do some research and found out - from only two articles - that it is true that the US did that. There's a 20 year old law where the US has the right to withdraw funding to any UN organization once it allows the Palestinian territories to be a member unless those territories have negotiated with Israel. For those who do not know, UNESCO promotes education (as in literacy) and tackles poverty in third world countries.

When the member states of the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization voted last October to confer membership on the Palestinian Authority, they knew their decision would trigger the withdrawal of U.S. funding, which in dues alone accounted for more than $78 million per year, or 22 percent of UNESCO’s core budget. Current American law requires the U.S. to pull funding from any U.N.-affiliated organization that tries to confer statehood on the Palestinians before they have qualified for it through negotiations with Israel. UNESCO did it anyway, the assembled delegates clapping and cheering as they voted. The tally was 107 to 14, with 52 abstaining.
Since then, UNESCO’s Bulgarian director general, Irina Bokova, has been campaigning — not to undo UNESCO’s admission of “Palestine,” but to persuade U.S. authorities to resume forking out money to UNESCO. Bokova’s efforts have included two [COLOR=#216221 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#216221 !important][FONT=inherit !important]trips[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] to Washington these past four months, including a U.S. tour starting in Washington this week. UNESCO’s website features press releases with headlines such as “UNESCO Director General Presses Washington to Restore US Funding,” over a photo of Bokova meeting in December with a U.S. congressman.

Advertisement

To this I can add the news that to supplement Bokova’s forays to the U.S., Paris-based UNESCO is now quietly planning to open an office in Washington, sometime in the next few months. Were the aim simply to represent UNESCO to the U.S., there would be no need for this. UNESCO already has a liaison office at the U.N.’s headquarters in New York. But this new office, in Washington, will be positioned to maximize access to U.S. policymakers, especially Congress. UNESCO’s current plan is that this office will be run by a former congressional aide, George Papagiannis, who has been working since 2007 for UNESCO. Papagiannis’s résumé includes a stint in the late 1990s as communications director for Representative Nancy Pelosi. Not that UNESCO has made any official announcement of plans to open a Washington office. Nor has UNESCO released any budget or job descriptions for setting up and staffing this new operation. The choice of Papagiannis has apparently been made already, by Bokova herself.
But a whiff of this plan turned up in a set of “Talking Points” that Papagiannis dispatched recently to various UNESCO advocates in the U.S., and that I obtained. In his talking points, Papagiannis lauds various UNESCO programs, such as literacy training in Iraq and Afghanistan, that he says will suffer unless the U.S. resumes bankrolling the organization. (There is no mention that UNESCO wastes millions, according to its own auditors, or that UNESCO could preserve its better programs by scrapping its worst.) At the bottom of these talking points, Papagiannis’s name and U.S. and French mobile-phone numbers appear, along with the label “UNESCO Washington Office.”
This was surprising to me, because currently, UNESCO has no “Washington Office.” I queried UNESCO’s liaison office in New York about whether they had any companion premises in Washington. They replied, by e-mail: “We don’t have an office yet, but one will be opening. You need to contact George Papagiannis.”
So, this past weekend I phoned Papagiannis, reaching him in Paris, where he is currently based with UNESCO. He confirmed that UNESCO is in the process of creating a full-time presence in Washington, that the organization has already begun seeking premises, and that “once we have an office, there will be a liaison in that office, and that liaison would be me.”

Read more here: UNESCO Goes to Washington - Claudia Rosett - National Review Online

Here's the other article, if it counts as one:

Here is the story. The United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization, better known as UNESCO, helps develop Holocaust education curriculum and runs training seminars for teachers around the world to impart the lessons of the Shoah to school children.
There is nothing terribly controversial about this work, yet it has been dramatically scaled back in recent months because the USA has cut off all funding to UNESCO. This action has nothing to do with UNESCO’s work around the world, and everything to do with a decades-old law that prohibits American funds for any UN entities that accepts Palestine as a member.
Last fall, UNESCO’s membership voted overwhelmingly to admit Palestine as a member of the organization. This triggered early 1990s-vintage legislation forcing the USA to immediately stop paying its UNESCO membership dues. Holocaust education is among the many programs that has been affected by the cuts. ”We cannot organize some of our training courses that otherwise we would have organized,” Says UNESCO Director General Irina Bokova. “Thank God that Israel continues to support these programs.”
I sat down with Director General Bokova yesterday, who detailed the many ways that the cuts to UNESCO is impacting the daily work of her organization–work, she stressed that helps advance American interests and promote American and universal values.
So far, the USA has held back $78 million, which includes past funds it owed the organization and its current membership dues. This accounts for about 20% of UNESCO’s general funding. The across-the-board cut has hurt several UNESCO program areas–including literacy programs, girls eduction, projects that help develop access to freshwater and sanitation in poor communities, and even its flagship world heritage program. “The cuts effect practically all of our programs,” says Bokova.

Funds for Global Holocaust Education Cut Off Over US Congress Fight With Palestine | UN Dispatch

I don't understand this and I find it to be despicable. Because UNESCO is accepting Palestine, millions can suffer because the US is refusing to fund the programs that help them. How is that a form of human rights?

I just saw that on TV a little while ago and was wondering if anyone here would be talking about it. I thought they discussed it brilliantly (on a side note, can I just say I really like John Oliver :)?)

And I wholeheartedly agree that the pulling of funding for this is insane. As "The Daily Show" put the basic thought process: who cares if people are struggling? We've got our own interests at stake!

Haaretz, Mar. 30
For years Israel’s Civil Administration has been covertly locating and mapping available land in the West Bank and naming the parcels after existing Jewish settlements, presumably with an eye toward expanding these communities. The Civil Administration, part of the Defense Ministry, released its maps only in response to a request from anti-settlement activist Dror Etkes under the Freedom of Information Law.

In some places the boundaries of the parcels outlined in the maps coincide with the route of the West Bank separation barrier. The state has argued before the Supreme Court and the International Court of Justice in The Hague that the route of the separation barrier was based on Israel’s security needs. But Civil Administration’s maps and figures, disclosed here for the first time, suggest the barrier route was planned in accordance with the available land in the West Bank, intended to increase the area and population of the settlements. A total of 569 parcels of land were marked out, encompassing around 620,000 dunams ‏(around 155,000 acres‏)--about 10% of the total area of the West Bank. Since the late 1990s, 23 of the unauthorized outposts were built on land included in the map. The Civil Administration is endeavoring to legalize some of these outposts, including Shvut Rahel, Rehelim and Hayovel. Etkes believes this indicates the settlers who built the outposts had access to the administration’s research on available land--more proof of the government’s deep involvement in the systematic violation of the law in order to expand settlements, he says.

The maps name numerous communities that do not exist...The names of several sites suggest they are earmarked for the expansion of existing settlements, although some of the parcels are several kilometers distant from their namesakes...The maps also mark 81 sites on 114,000 dunams in areas A and B, which are under Palestinian civil control, indicating the Civil Administration began identifying available land before the Oslo Accords. But these parcels have not been updated in several years because Israel cannot build settlements on them. All the other areas--506,000 dunams in Area C, have been updated in the past decade. This implies the administration earmarked the sites as reserves for future use, says Etkes. More than 90% of this land is east of the separation barrier, beyond the main settlement blocs.

settlements.png

Ahmadinejad: World forces must a... JPost - Iranian Threat - News

Ahmadinejad: World forces must annihilate Israel

In a speech published on his website Thursday, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the ultimate goal of world forces must be the annihilation of Israel.

Speaking to ambassadors from Islamic countries ahead of 'Qods Day' ('Jerusalem Day'), an annual Iranian anti-Zionist event established in 1979 by Ayatollah Khomeini and which falls this year on August 17, Ahmadinejad said that a "horrible Zionist current" had been managing world affairs for "about 400 years."

It was Zionists, he said, who were “behind the scene of the world’s main powers, media, monetary and banking centers.”

"They are the decision makers, to the extent that the presidential election hopefuls [of the USA] must go and kiss the feet of the Zionists to ensure their election victory,” he added.

Ahmadinejad added that "liberating Palestine" would solve all the world's problems, although he did not elaborate on exactly how that might work.

“Qods Day is not merely a strategic solution for the Palestinian problem, as it is to be viewed as a key for solving the world problems," he said.

He added: "Anyone who loves freedom and justice must strive for the annihilation of the Zionist regime in order to pave the way for world justice and freedom.”

Let me guess, he's being mistranslated again.

It totally does not matter whether they say it or don't say it........the fact remains that united Jerusalem IS the capital of the State of Israel and will STAY that way.....

As for Ahmad-in-a-jar.....HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
:rant::rant::lmao::lmao:

I'm always glad when he makes speeches cos the guy cracks me up every time!!

Iran: Israel's Existence 'Insult to All Humanity' - ABC News

Iran: Israel's Existence 'Insult to All Humanity'

Israel's existence is an "insult to all humanity," Iran's president said Friday in one of his sharpest attacks yet against the Jewish state, as Israel openly debates whether to attack Iran over its nuclear program.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said confronting Israel is an effort to "protect the dignity of all human beings."

"The existence of the Zionist regime is an insult to all humanity," Ahmadinejad said. He was addressing worshippers at Tehran University after nationwide pro-Palestinian rallies, an annual event marking Quds (Jerusalem) Day on the last Friday of the holy month of Ramadan.

"Today, confronting the existence of the fabricated Zionist regime is in fact protecting the rights and dignity of all human beings," said Ahmadinejad, with a black and white scarf many Palestinians wear around his neck.

Demonstrators in Tehran set U.S. and Israeli flags on fire and chanted "Death to the U.S." and "Death to Israel" during their pro-Palestinian rally

Dang, this guy just doesn't translate into English well does he? Is it me or are these Iranian colloquialisms coming more and more frequently?

Back
Top Bottom