Roadmap to HELL - One man caught on a barbed wire fence .... - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #496
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Obama is the better man

Quote:
Netanyahu phones Obama, congratulates him on election win
By TOVAH LAZAROFF
08/11/2012

PM tells the US president re-election is "a vote of confidence in your leadership"; US Ambassador Shapiro rejects idea that Obama would act out of emotion, revenge and take steps against PM.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu telephoned US President Barack Obama Thursday afternoon to personally congratulate him on his re-election to a second four-year term.

It was “a vote of confidence in your leadership,” Netanyahu said.

He looked forward, Netanyahu said, to continuing to work with the Obama to address the great challenges facing both the US and Israel as well as to advance peace and security in our region.

Click here for special JPost coverage

It was the latest in a series of conciliatory gestures to Obama, that Netanyahu has made since elections results were announced Wednesday.

Netanyahu is looking to reassure both Obama and the Israeli public that any past tensions between them, won’t impact their future relationship.

Earlier on Thursday, Netanyahu said, “In recent days, I have been hearing voices that are coming from among us that are trying to stir things up between us and United States.

“This will not help them,” he said at a cornerstone-laying ceremony at Ashdod Hospital.

“The alliance between Israel and the United States is strong. We have a strategic partnership. We have cooperation in all areas but especially in the security sphere; there, cooperation is deep, broad and fundamental,” he said.

“One of the foundations of our security is the brave partnership between us and the United States,” Netanyahu said.

On Wednesday, Netanyahu hosted US Ambassador Daniel Shapiro in his Jerusalem office to pledge his support for Obama.

But at a meeting with Jewish community leaders in New York on Wednesday Olmert slammed Netanyahu for supporting Obama’s Republican challengers Mitt Romney during the elections.

“Netanyahu’s behavior in recent months brings up the question if Netanyahu has a friend in the White House, and I'm not sure [he does],” Olmert said.

“This could be very critical in certain areas,” he added.

Senior Fatah official Nabil Shaath told Israel Radio on Thursday, “It was very clear that Mr. Netanyahu would have preferred Mr. Romney.”

Reporters and pundits have speculated that Obama would now “seek revenge” against Netanyahu.

A Israel Radio journalist asked Shapiro that question outright during an interview Thursday morning conducted in Hebrew.

Shapiro rejected the idea that Obama would determine US policy based on his emotional reaction to a head of state.

Shapiro said that Obama is motivated by strategy, not revenge. He noted that as president, Obama had a responsibility to preserve America's strategic interests, one of which was its strong ties with Israel.

“The close working relationship will continue,” Shapiro said.

Netanyahu, he said, is the elected leader of a significant American ally. As a result, it is important for Obama to have a good relationship with him.

Shapiro said he had been with the two men during the nine different face-to-face meetings they have had.

In each meeting they spoke in an open manner, Shapiro said. He added that they often speak on the phone. Their emissaries are charged with deepening the relationship, he said.

“It does not mean that there is no disagreement between the nations,² Shapiro said.

“We are good enough friends to disagree, and still work together to find a solution,” he added.

Shapiro said that when he met with Natanyahu on Wednesday, he accepted his warm congratulations on behalf of the Obama.

“We spoke about all the issues that we are working together on, the attempt to resume direct negotiations with the Palestinians, to prevent their unilateral steps at the UN, and to halt Iran nuclear program,” Shapiro said.

Both countries want to work together on security issues, he said.

He then met with Labor leader Shelly Yacimovich in Tel Aviv, where she congratulated him on US President Barack Obama's reelection.

Yacimovich also expressed admiration for Obama's economic and social reforms.

"Obama is a true friend of Israel and I am sure that in his second term he will continue to stand by Israel in diplomatic, security and international affairs," she said.

Lahav Harkov contributed to this report.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #497
Refugee

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Deep, I am in total agreement with you about this. Our PM really put his foot in his mouth by openly endorsing Romney instead of remaining (at least outwardly) neutral. This "congratulatory" phone call was nothing more than lip service (in my opinion) and I bet there were a lot of smirks on the faces of those who were in the Oval office at the time, as well as major winces in Netanyahu's office.

Obama won't forget this and I'm pretty sure he'll have something to say about our upcoming elections also.

One thing is for sure - Netanyahu has managed to alienate nearly everyone who is supposed to be on our side - including France and most of Europe, and now his already-strained relationship with Washington will be growing steadily worse during the next four years. His new alliance with Avigdor Liberman (a known hardliner) is probably one of the worst political moves he's made recently, although on the surface it seems quite clever for him to try and save himself and his party from total defeat by comibing forces and hoping to double their seats in the Knesset.

Bottom line?.....I don't know yet who I'm voting for in the coming election but I don't believe it will be for Netanyahu. I really can't take four more years of waiting for the air-raid sirens to wake me from my sleep or going to work in the morning and not knowing if I'll be coming back at night.

It's funny though, the only PM we had who actually gave me hope in a better future and that peace actually was possible and within our grasp was the late PM Yitzchak Rabin - and unfortunately we all know what happened to him.

I'm really tired of this situation. We need to get back to the negotiating table and work out a solution to the conflict. Hopefully, my fellow citizens and I will have the courage to make the right choice for our country this time.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #498
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Here we go again:

Tel Aviv Suburb Hit By Rocket
Old 11-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #499
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #500
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:20 PM
That photo is horrifying. Those poor people.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #501
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Solidarity with the Palestinian people.

(And the Israeli people unlucky enough to be hit by rockets)
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #502
Blue Crack Addict

Kind of hard to evacuate an area which is pretty trapped, no?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #503
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Well, at least they were polite enough to warn the people before blowing up their area.

(Seriously. WTF?)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #504
Blue Crack Addict

Those Israeli forces are so kind and considerate.

Read many more messages from that same Twitter account, ugh.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #505
The Fly

Local Time: 05:20 AM
This sums it up:

https://twitter.com/nsheizaf/status/268806321153904642

On the bright side, at least I get to know my neighbors every time we try to find cover when the alarm is on. The last one was about an hour ago.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #506
Blue Crack Addict

Stay safe, sarit.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #507
Blue Crack Addict

Geez, internet warfare ...
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #508
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2
Those Israeli forces are so kind and considerate.

Read many more messages from that same Twitter account, ugh.

I'd like to consider myself pretty evenin this conflict, and I feel tremendously sorry for your average Palestinian. And i think the IDF tends to overreact.

But, honesty, how kind and considerate would anyone be if Hamas is shooting rockets into Jerusalem?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #509
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
But, honesty, how kind and considerate would anyone be if Hamas is shooting rockets into Jerusalem?
Wait, didn't the IDF start this particular conflict and Hamas are merely retaliating? I don't think Hamas, as awfully reactionary as they are, started this one.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #510
The Fly

Local Time: 05:20 AM
This time they did. During the days before Hamas military chief was killed by the IDF, hundreds of rockets were fired to the southern parts of Israel.
It seems like inner politics within the Hamas was the motive for launching rockets at first. Just like it is here for carrying out the kind of reaction the government did - the elections in Israel are around the corner (a little more than two months from now). Hamas is launching rockets at southern Israel for years , PTSD has become the norm there for most people (as I'm sure it is in Gaza). It's funny how it has become urgent to take care of it in such manner just before the elections are taking place.