Roadmap to HELL - One man caught on a barbed wire fence .... - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #481
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I wonder if Israel looks around at President Bashar al-Assad in Syria, Hamas in Palestine, Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and the Atomic Mullahs in Iran and thinks, "Gee, must be a U.S. election coming up"?
Perhaps Irvine can clarify but I don't think he meant whatever your implying in your response when he talked about a U.S. election coming up.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #482
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, founder and éminence grise of Israel's coalition kingmaker Shas party, doesn't translate too gracefully into English either:

Jerusalem Post, Aug. 26
Quote:
Shas spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef implored God to “wipe out and destroy” Iran and Hezbollah during his weekly sermon on Saturday night. This is the second time in a row in which Yosef has spoken about the threat of Iran’s nuclear program during his post-Shabbat Torah lesson. It follows a briefing he was given by National Security Adviser Yaakov Amidror on the Iranian issue 10 days ago, which was seen as part of an effort from the Prime Minister’s Office to obtain the rabbi’s support for the government’s position on the matter.
Quote:
“When we make the blessing on the dates that ‘our enemies and haters should be ended’ we should have in mind the Iranian regime, those evil people who threaten Israel,” the rabbi said. “Do good, God, wipe them out, kill them,” he entreated, to which the assembled crowd answered “amen.”
Quote:
“Destroy them God, obliterate them from the face of the earth,” he said, adding a verse from the Book of Psalms: “Some call on chariots and horses, but we will invoke the name of God our Lord, they collapse and fall down but are risen and gather strength.”

Shas political leader and Interior Minister Eli Yishai has been thought until now to be opposed to a unilateral Israeli strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities, a stance most likely dictated by Yosef, who determines all major policy positions for the party. It is thought that the meeting between Amidror and Yosef at the rabbi’s house, attended by Yishai, was part of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s efforts to gain Shas support for a strike. Yishai is a member of the inner security cabinet of nine ministers, which, it is believed, is split down the middle on whether or not to attack. Four members are supposedly in favor, including Netanyahu, and four against, including Yishai. Newly appointed Home Front Defense Minister Avi Dichter is believed to be undecided.
He's made similar remarks about Palestinians in the past ("[May] all the nasty people who hate Israel, like Abu Mazen [Abbas], vanish from our world...May God strike them down with the plague along with all the nasty Palestinians who persecute Israel") so this wasn't particularly surprising.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #483
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:34 AM
I say the guy leans for attack

Dichter Will Give More Support for Iran Strike - Defense/Security - News - Israel National News
Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #484
Blue Crack Addict

I also believe if the attack happens it will be much different than the bombing in Syria. There is a lot more downside to an Israeli attack than the risks of not attacking, or even Iranian nuclear weapons.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #485
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:34 AM
UPDATE 6-In New York, defiant Ahmadinejad says Israel will be 'eliminated' | Reuters

Quote:
NEW YORK, Sept 24 (Reuters) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Monday Israel has no roots in the Middle East and would be "eliminated," ignoring a U.N. warning to avoid incendiary rhetoric ahead of the annual General Assembly session.

Ahmadinejad also said he did not take seriously the threat that Israel could launch a military strike on Iran's nuclear facilities, denied sending arms to Syria, and alluded to Iran's threats to the life of British author Salman Rushdie.

The United States quickly dismissed the Iranian president's comments as "disgusting, offensive and outrageous."

"Iran has been around for the last seven, 10 thousand years. They (the Israelis) have been occupying those territories for the last 60 to 70 years, with the support and force of the Westerners. They have no roots there in history," he said, referring to the founding of the modern state of Israel in 1948.

"We do believe that they have found themselves at a dead end and they are seeking new adventures in order to escape this dead end. Iran will not be damaged with foreign bombs," Ahmadinejad said, speaking though an interpreter at his Manhattan hotel.

"We don't even count them as any part of any equation for Iran. During a historical phase, they (the Israelis) represent minimal disturbances that come into the picture and are then eliminated."
That doesn't sound good.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #486
Blue Crack Addict

It's fine. Israel needs to go away. They had more than a fair shot for a two state settlement. They chose to be greedy. Now is the time for one state for all people. No more apartheid.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #487
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
An Egyptian-American journalist was arrested in New York Tuesday for spray-painting over one of the controversial anti-Jihad subway posters produced by the American Freedom Defense Initiative.
The New York Post captured a video of award-winning journalist Mona Eltahawy defacing AFDI's ad with pink spray paint, while another woman attempts to stand in her way.
The other woman, who identifies herself as Pamela Hall, asks Eltahawy, "Mona, do you think you have the right to do this?" To which Mona answers, "I do actually. I think this is freedom of expression, just as this is freedom of expression.”
The two grow increasingly annoyed with each other. Hall refuses to back away with her mounted camera yelling, "Stop it Mona!" and "You've got a lot of nerve!"
Mona Eltahawy Arrested For Spray-Painting Anti-Jihad Subway Poster (VIDEO)

I think Mona deserved to be arrested. She was violating a law, not practicing her freedom of expression.

Also, I'm confused by this. She wrote a powerful article on how women are treated in Egypt last year and earned my respect. But why is she vandalizing an ad that criticizes the people who make her religion look bad? She should clarify herself because to many, she seems to be condemning radical Islam on one hand, but with this act, she is embracing it, or so it seems.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #488
Blue Crack Addict

maybe this will help
Quote:
'In any war between
the civilized man and the savage,
support the civilized man.
Support a Free Palestine.
Defeat Zionism.'
Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #489
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I agree calling the Palestinians "savages" is very harsh, but Mona spray-painting the ad doesn't help her cause. As a journalist who received some respect after her article on women in Egypt, she should use her skills to educate Americans on what is going on in Israel. She could use a blog to do this and because of her reputation, could gain readership.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #490
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Now is the time for one state for all people.
I am also beginning to think that a two-state solution is not viable. The time to act on that was a decade or two ago. The demographics will simply not lend themselves to this in the future.

Americans are almost singular around the world in their support of Palestinians living in bantustans. Our Canadian PM isn't much better, frankly. The whole situation is deeply shameful.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #491
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I agree calling the Palestinians "savages" is very harsh, .
the sign I posted, how long do you think it would last in a New York subway, do you think it would ever even get put up?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #492
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
the sign I posted, how long do you think it would last in a New York subway, do you think it would ever even get put up?
Doubt it.

What point are you getting here?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #493
Refugee

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
It's fine. Israel needs to go away. They had more than a fair shot for a two state settlement. They chose to be greedy. Now is the time for one state for all people. No more apartheid.
I totally agree with you....we'll give everything back and leave quietly as soon the Americans give the land back to the Indians and when the Australians give the land back to the Aborigines.....and so on and so forth....

Oh and I also agree with you that it's entirely OUR fault that there hasn't been peace in the middle east for the past 60...70..100...thousands of years, right? The other side has been absolutely perfect *hangs head in sorrow*

Why oh why am I a citizen of such a cruel and barbaric state??.....
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #494
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono

I totally agree with you....we'll give everything back and leave quietly as soon the Americans give the land back to the Indians and when the Australians give the land back to the Aborigines.....and so on and so forth....

Oh and I also agree with you that it's entirely OUR fault that there hasn't been peace in the middle east for the past 60...70..100...thousands of years, right? The other side has been absolutely perfect *hangs head in sorrow*

Why oh why am I a citizen of such a cruel and barbaric state??.....
While the Jewish people have a right to their homeland, it is not right for them to violate international laws by settling in areas meant for Palestinians and practically force people from their homes. What happened in the U.S. and Australia hundreds of years ago doesn't justify what is going on in Israel right now.

And why do Israelis always say the Mideast has always been turmoil? If it always were, it wasn't between the Israelis and Palestinians. That is a conflict that only began when the state of Israel was created.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #495
Refugee

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
While the Jewish people have a right to their homeland, it is not right for them to violate international laws by settling in areas meant for Palestinians and practically force people from their homes. What happened in the U.S. and Australia hundreds of years ago doesn't justify what is going on in Israel right now.

And why do Israelis always say the Mideast has always been turmoil? If it always were, it wasn't between the Israelis and Palestinians. That is a conflict that only began when the state of Israel was created.
I truly think that this is the best history lesson you can ever have on the history of the conflict and negotiations.

The History of the Middle East Conflict in 11 Minutes - YouTube