Roadmap to HELL - One man caught on a barbed wire fence .... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
2. The point is - we don't go poking our noses into other people's business.
You are benefiting enormously, and more than any other nation in the world from American taxpayer dollars.

If you don't want poking their noses into your business, then turn down the financial and military aid. I am sure that many Americans would be more than happy to use those dollars to build schools and bridges and roads in America instead.

But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #32
The Fly

Local Time: 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
You are benefiting enormously, and more than any other nation in the world from American taxpayer dollars.

If you don't want poking their noses into your business, then turn down the financial and military aid. I am sure that many Americans would be more than happy to use those dollars to build schools and bridges and roads in America instead.

But I don't see that happening anytime soon.
BTW, the aid is not in the form of money just handed to Israel. It's more like vouchers to buy military equipment/general army's products (even army standard socks provided to soldiers) back from the US. So it is aid, but it also helps their industry and sometimes hurts certain populations inside Israel. For example, the IDF used to buy textile merchandise from local manufacturers. Those manufacturers had to shut down when the IDF switched to American merchandise (they could not compete of course with china's textile industry). As a result many middle-aged women, who worked at those factories, with no other skills, went unemployed in areas of the country where no other work is actually available.

This is some interesting info:
U.S. Foreign Aid Summary

Old 06-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarit View Post
BTW, the aid is not in the form of money just handed to Israel. It's more like vouchers to buy military equipment/general army's products
This is a fairly recent change; in the past, Israel received billions in direct economic aid as well. In fact, bilateral economic grants only ended in 2008.

Israel is the single largest recipient of U.S. foreign aid between 1948 and today. Without the $ and the political support of the U.S., Israel would be living a very different reality. This directly impacts U.S. taxpayers.

So Achtung's suggestion that America has no right to "poke its nose" in Israel's business is completely absurd, and borderline insulting.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #34
Refugee

Quote:
This is some interesting info:
U.S. Foreign Aid Summary
Good stuff, thanks.

I didn't know Egypt got so much U.S. aid.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #35
The Fly

Quote:
This is a fairly recent change; in the past, Israel received billions in direct economic aid as well. In fact, bilateral economic grants only ended in 2008.

Israel is the single largest recipient of U.S. foreign aid between 1948 and today. Without the $ and the political support of the U.S., Israel would be living a very different reality. This directly impacts U.S. taxpayers.

So Achtung's suggestion that America has no right to "poke its nose" in Israel's business is completely absurd, and borderline insulting.
I was just bringing some info and I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, I highly doubt it that the aid was given out of mere kindness. We get it only because it serves US interests. And maybe this form of dependency isn't that bad for American interests at all.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #36
Refugee

Quote:
Israel is the single largest recipient of U.S. foreign aid between 1948 and today. Without the $ and the political support of the U.S., Israel would be living a very different reality.
Very true.

What would that different reality look like for Israelis?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:10 PM
keep in mind
the Egyptian aid is for their cooperation with Israel.

what would Israel look like with out as much aid and consistent U N vetoes by the US?

one side would have you believe that Israel would be wiped off the face of the earth.

I don't buy that argument at all, with less aid and a more measured approach
there is a better chance that a real settlement agreement may have been reached by now.

And most likely more fair to the Palestinians, since Israel would not have been able to keep changing the 'so called' facts on the ground.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #38
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Very true.

What would that different reality look like for Israelis?
You should also consider the less discussed about Arab foreign aid. Mainly Saudi Arabia, second only to the United States in its scope.

We're only the playground for others.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:10 AM
It's a difficult thing, to fight the terrorists without becoming terrorists in the process. Ask Bush.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
We get it only because it serves US interests. And maybe this form of dependency isn't that bad for American interests at all.

but the present right-wing Israel government, and specifically Netanyahu, is making it increasingly difficult to be in America's best interests.

and that's bad for everybody.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
And I don't post these messages as a representative of the Israeli government, but rather as a regular woman who is tired of seeing her country used as a punching bag over and over again for doing what any other civilized country would have done in its place.
Israel as a punching bag? Perhaps in some areas, but usually when I see coverage on the news here of battles between the two, Israel is usually not criticized all that much. I could be wrong, maybe I'm looking at the wrong media or something, but it seems the Palestinians get criticized more often.

That being said, Irvine's right, though, both sides moan about their coverage a lot-well, if both sides weren't acting like idiots, guess what? That'd stop.

I'm personally on the side of the guy at the very start of this thread. May he, and any other Palestinians and Israelis who advocate peace and non-violence, FINALLY one day get their way. Theirs are the voices who really get drowned out in all this insanity.

Angela
Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

i want to quickly say that we are lucky to have people who are actually living in this area of the world posting in this thread.

i look forward to more posts from them and hearing their perspectives and opinions on these extraordinarily complex issues.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:10 AM
I'll second that. Can't beat hearing it straight from the source, after all.

I also hope everyone living there stays safe. Take care, you guys .

Angela
Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #44
Refugee

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Quote:

In spite all of this, try for just one time to let go of need to justify every act our country does. This could've been handled very differently. You don't have to play the spokesman; you're not paid for it.
Its her opinion and it is welcomed here, especially given the large amounts of anti-Israeli opinions that are so often expressed in here.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #45
Refugee

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Besides being on a U2 board, I have no idea why you would mention Bono. I can't think of one time when Bono blamed Palestinians with any detail. Nor can I think of anytime when he encouraged the bombing of Afghanistan.
HOT PRESS Year end issue 2001! BONO expressed full support for the Bush administrations handling of Afghanistan at that point.