Roadmap to HELL - One man caught on a barbed wire fence .... - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #301
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Reza Aslan, DailyBeast, Dec. 8
Quote:
...This week, three South American countries took the international community by surprise when they issued separate public statements recognizing a Palestinian state within the 1967 borders; i.e., the territory occupied by Israel in the Six-Day War. The countries—Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay—comprise three of the four nations in the powerful trade group Mercosur; the fourth member, Paraguay, is expected to make a similar declaration soon, along with two other major South American powers, Bolivia and Ecuador.

Ever since the latest round of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks broke down last September, Abbas has been threatening to take his case directly to the United Nations to force a vote on statehood, much as the Israeli government did in 1948-49 following the end of the British Mandate over Palestine. It would be a bold move for an increasingly desperate Palestinian Authority because it would force the world body to act on its many statements in support of Palestinian sovereignty.

There is little doubt in anyone’s mind that should recognition of Palestinian statehood be put to a vote on the floor of the UN, it would win the support of every member country save two: Israel and the United States.
Unfortunately, these are the only two votes that matter, considering that the US has veto power over all UN declarations and has used it consistently to protect Israel from countless resolutions critical of Israeli policy in the Occupied Territories. Indeed, President Obama had explicitly promised Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that he would prohibit any UN vote on Palestinian statehood in exchange for a 90-day extension of Israel’s settlement freeze. That deal fell through, primarily because Netanyahu’s right-wing government refused even to consider the possibly of an extension. As Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman told Israel Radio, “It’s clear to most people there will be no more freezes.”

...Not surprisingly, Israel’s Foreign Ministry criticized the statement from the South Americans, saying, “All attempts to bypass negotiations and to unilaterally determine issues in dispute will only harm the trust of the sides and their commitment to agreed upon frameworks for negotiations.” Considering that everyone now knows without a shadow of doubt that there are no such recognizable frameworks in place for negotiations, and absolutely no reason to think that the peace talks will resume any time soon, the Israeli statement must be read either as a cynical joke or as a deliberate ploy to continue pushing peace talks as far into the future as possible while gobbling up enough Palestinian land to make a contiguous state impossible. Just this week, another 625 new settlement units were approved for construction in East Jerusalem, adding to the 1,126 units that have already been constructed in the Occupied Territories since the partial freeze ended in late September.

...Obviously the statements from Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay are merely symbolic. But as Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Maliki noted, their importance lies in the fact that “the more countries that recognize the Palestinian state, the more pressure this will put on countries that are hesitant.” Already, about 100 nations across the world have come out in recognition of an independent Palestinian state, including, most recently, Turkey.

Symbolism aside, if there is one thing the Palestinians have learned in four decades of fruitless peace talks, it is that the only they will ever be allowed to have a state of their own is if they simply seize it for themselves. So then, enough talk. Enough stalling. It’s well past time to declare statehood and force a vote of recognition in the United Nations.

Obama claims the U.S. will veto any such vote. Let’s call his bluff. Let’s find out if this president is ready to stand utterly alone on the world stage as the sole head of state refusing to recognize the existence of a Palestinian state just so he can appease an ally, Israel, that over the last year has repeatedly gone of out its way to embarrass his administration and stifle his attempts at achieving a two-state solution.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:00 AM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 PM
long over due

I am 100% in favor said recognition.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #303
Refugee

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Hello Yolland,

I must set the record straight here - this is false:

Ever since the latest round of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks broke down last September, Abbas has been threatening to take his case directly to the United Nations to force a vote on statehood, much as the Israeli government did in 1948-49 following the end of the British Mandate over Palestine. It would be a bold move for an increasingly desperate Palestinian Authority because it would force the world body to act on its many statements in support of Palestinian sovereignty.

Actually, it was the British who turned to the United Nations in 1946/7. A wave of Arab attacks against the Jewish population led to hundreds of Jewish deaths. Not only did the British authorities stand by and do nothing against these atrocities, but they compounded the problem by halting the flow of Jewish immigrants fleeing Europe and clearly adopted an anti-Zionist policy.
This resulted in acts of reprisal on the part of the Jewish resistance forces in Palestine - i.e., the Etzel, Lehi and Hagana groups - against the British authorities (most famously, the blowing-up of the King David hotel in Jerusalem and the storming of the Acre Prison).

The British authorities were ill-equipped to deal with this deadly situation and they decided to call upon the United Nations to deal with the Palestine question.

This led to the famous vote on the 29th of November 1947 in which the general assembly voted for a two-state solution in Palestine - a plan which the Zionist leadership embraced but the Arabs rejected flat out.
This historic vote ultimately led to the end of the British mandate in Palestine and the declaration of the state of Israel in May 1948.

So you see, there was no "out of the blue" declaration like the Palestinians want to do. We have absolutely no objection (well, at least I don't) to an independent Palestinian state living in peace alongside us, but to declare independence in a haphazard way while final status negotiations haven't been concluded yet will only backfire on the Palestinians.

Here is some more information on this subject:

YouTube - November 29, 1947: The Story of a Vote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #304
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:15 PM
What are your thoughts on the rest of the article?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #305
Forum Moderator

I believe Aslan's point is that Ben-Gurion declared statehood in the absence of Arab acceptance of the UN partition plan. Obviously, majority international recognition of that declaration did not resolve the territorial conflicts by itself, and neither could Palestine recognition; what it did was affect the political dynamic. But in neither case could the strategy be said to be "out of the blue"; the whole point of the partition plan was for there to be both a Jewish state and an Arab state in mandate Palestine. Clearly the Arab decision to respond with war was self-defeating and changed the geopolitical calculus, hence 1967 becoming the reference point.

I don't know whether enough countries would jump on Abbas' ship to effect the scenario Aslan envisions. But unmistakably part of the reckoning here is that the US government, if forced to choose in such a context, might perhaps be at a point where it would accept a shift in diplomatic "ownership" of the problem towards the UN as the lesser of two evils.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 AM   #306
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Surprised this hasn't been raised here yet:

The Palestine papers | World news | guardian.co.uk
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #307
Refugee

And I'm surprised THIS hasn't been raised yet....

In Lebanon, angry protests as a new PM is named - CNN.com

We are now faced with TWO Iranian-backed fronts - Hamas in Gaza and a Hezbollah-backed prime minister in Lebanon. I'm afraid this is only the beginning of a process that will lead to a de-facto Hezbollah takeover in Lebanon - which will lead to the same death, destruction, opression and isolation that Hamas has subjected the Palestinians to.

It's so typical of a terrorist organization.....
The Int'l court was about to publish their report confirming that Hezbollah was responsible for the assasination of former Lebanese PM Rafik Hariri (the father of the deposed PM). So they did what any terrorist group would do....they ran the "Sheriff" out of town (who happens to be the son of their victim) and put their own man in power, thus ensuring that the people responsible for the assasination would be safe from prosecution.

I feel sorry for the Lebanese people who are now on the brink of another civil war. I can only hope that the Lebanese people take the example of the brave people of Tunis and stop this downhill spiral before it destroys their country.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:45 AM   #308
Blue Crack Addict

without Mubarak's cooperation in keeping observers out,
Israel thinks it may be time for a little public relations

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/wo...er=rss&emc=rss

too little? too late?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #309
Forum Moderator

Too late for what? An economic development package is a good thing as far as it goes, but it won't address the sovereignty issues which are far more fundamental. As for the Egyptian coup/revolution/crisis, I'm not optimistic it'll change the Netanyahu government's disdain for negotiations.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #310
Refugee

I am speechless with grief and seething with rage at these animals who have committed this atrocity.

Itamar massacre: Fogel family butchered while sleeping - Israel News, Ynetnews

I want you all to look at these photographs very carefully, read this story and then tell me what possible justification there can be for this unspeakable act of cold blooded murder:

May they all rest in peace and bask in the glow of God's eternal light and may their murderers burn in hell forever and ever.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Mahmoud Abbas condemns Itamar attack
By KHALED ABU TOAMEH AND JPOST.COM STAFF
03/12/2011 19:56

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Saturday condemned the attack on West Bank settlement Itamar in which five Israelis were murdered.

In a statement released by his office, Abbas "stressed his rejection and condemnation of all violence directed against civilians, regardless of who was behind it or the reason for it.”

Abbas added that "violence produces violence and what is needed is to speed up a just and comprehensive solution to the conflict.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #312
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And then after that tragic, repulsive act, there's this - Israel approves West Bank homes after murder of settlers | World news | guardian.co.uk - and once again the overall feeling is really just, fuck it, no-one's really trying, or has any intention of trying.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #313
Refugee

For those who don't believe our naval blockade of Gaza is legal, or effective, or necessary......please read this:

IDF seizes Gaza-bound arms vessel - Israel News, Ynetnews

NOW do you understand????
Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #314
Refugee

So there I was, minding my own business, watching TV, enjoying a nice peacefull night in my hometown of Ashdod - when all of a sudden the siren sounded. I leapt out of my chair, opened the shutters (to prevent the glass from shattering in case of impact) and ran to sit next to my mother in our living room until we heard the faint sound of the missile impact on the ground. A sound that I last heard two years ago and that I'd hoped never to hear again.

So, welcome to round two of Israel Vs. Hamas - I guess they must be jealous of all the attention that Japan and libya are getting so they've decided to start up again.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Rocket explodes in Ashdod - Israel News, Ynetnews
Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #315
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:15 PM
Keep safe, thoughts and prayers are with you...