Roadmap to HELL - One man caught on a barbed wire fence ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if Israel looks around at President Bashar al-Assad in Syria, Hamas in Palestine, Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and the Atomic Mullahs in Iran and thinks, "Gee, must be a U.S. election coming up"?

Perhaps Irvine can clarify but I don't think he meant whatever your implying in your response when he talked about a U.S. election coming up.

Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, founder and éminence grise of Israel's coalition kingmaker Shas party, doesn't translate too gracefully into English either:

Jerusalem Post, Aug. 26
Shas spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef implored God to “wipe out and destroy” Iran and Hezbollah during his weekly sermon on Saturday night. This is the second time in a row in which Yosef has spoken about the threat of Iran’s nuclear program during his post-Shabbat Torah lesson. It follows a briefing he was given by National Security Adviser Yaakov Amidror on the Iranian issue 10 days ago, which was seen as part of an effort from the Prime Minister’s Office to obtain the rabbi’s support for the government’s position on the matter.
“When we make the blessing on the dates that ‘our enemies and haters should be ended’ we should have in mind the Iranian regime, those evil people who threaten Israel,” the rabbi said. “Do good, God, wipe them out, kill them,” he entreated, to which the assembled crowd answered “amen.”
“Destroy them God, obliterate them from the face of the earth,” he said, adding a verse from the Book of Psalms: “Some call on chariots and horses, but we will invoke the name of God our Lord, they collapse and fall down but are risen and gather strength.”

Shas political leader and Interior Minister Eli Yishai has been thought until now to be opposed to a unilateral Israeli strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities, a stance most likely dictated by Yosef, who determines all major policy positions for the party. It is thought that the meeting between Amidror and Yosef at the rabbi’s house, attended by Yishai, was part of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s efforts to gain Shas support for a strike. Yishai is a member of the inner security cabinet of nine ministers, which, it is believed, is split down the middle on whether or not to attack. Four members are supposedly in favor, including Netanyahu, and four against, including Yishai. Newly appointed Home Front Defense Minister Avi Dichter is believed to be undecided.
He's made similar remarks about Palestinians in the past ("[May] all the nasty people who hate Israel, like Abu Mazen [Abbas], vanish from our world...May God strike them down with the plague along with all the nasty Palestinians who persecute Israel") so this wasn't particularly surprising.

Last edited:
I also believe if the attack happens it will be much different than the bombing in Syria. There is a lot more downside to an Israeli attack than the risks of not attacking, or even Iranian nuclear weapons.

UPDATE 6-In New York, defiant Ahmadinejad says Israel will be 'eliminated' | Reuters

NEW YORK, Sept 24 (Reuters) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Monday Israel has no roots in the Middle East and would be "eliminated," ignoring a U.N. warning to avoid incendiary rhetoric ahead of the annual General Assembly session.

Ahmadinejad also said he did not take seriously the threat that Israel could launch a military strike on Iran's nuclear facilities, denied sending arms to Syria, and alluded to Iran's threats to the life of British author Salman Rushdie.

The United States quickly dismissed the Iranian president's comments as "disgusting, offensive and outrageous."

"Iran has been around for the last seven, 10 thousand years. They (the Israelis) have been occupying those territories for the last 60 to 70 years, with the support and force of the Westerners. They have no roots there in history," he said, referring to the founding of the modern state of Israel in 1948.

"We do believe that they have found themselves at a dead end and they are seeking new adventures in order to escape this dead end. Iran will not be damaged with foreign bombs," Ahmadinejad said, speaking though an interpreter at his Manhattan hotel.

"We don't even count them as any part of any equation for Iran. During a historical phase, they (the Israelis) represent minimal disturbances that come into the picture and are then eliminated."

That doesn't sound good.

It's fine. Israel needs to go away. They had more than a fair shot for a two state settlement. They chose to be greedy. Now is the time for one state for all people. No more apartheid.

An Egyptian-American journalist was arrested in New York Tuesday for spray-painting over one of the controversial anti-Jihad subway posters produced by the American Freedom Defense Initiative.
The New York Post captured a video of award-winning journalist Mona Eltahawy defacing AFDI's ad with pink spray paint, while another woman attempts to stand in her way.
The other woman, who identifies herself as Pamela Hall, asks Eltahawy, "Mona, do you think you have the right to do this?" To which Mona answers, "I do actually. I think this is freedom of expression, just as this is freedom of expression.”
The two grow increasingly annoyed with each other. Hall refuses to back away with her mounted camera yelling, "Stop it Mona!" and "You've got a lot of nerve!"

Mona Eltahawy Arrested For Spray-Painting Anti-Jihad Subway Poster (VIDEO)

I think Mona deserved to be arrested. She was violating a law, not practicing her freedom of expression.

Also, I'm confused by this. She wrote a powerful article on how women are treated in Egypt last year and earned my respect. But why is she vandalizing an ad that criticizes the people who make her religion look bad? She should clarify herself because to many, she seems to be condemning radical Islam on one hand, but with this act, she is embracing it, or so it seems.

I agree calling the Palestinians "savages" is very harsh, but Mona spray-painting the ad doesn't help her cause. As a journalist who received some respect after her article on women in Egypt, she should use her skills to educate Americans on what is going on in Israel. She could use a blog to do this and because of her reputation, could gain readership.

Now is the time for one state for all people.

I am also beginning to think that a two-state solution is not viable. The time to act on that was a decade or two ago. The demographics will simply not lend themselves to this in the future.

Americans are almost singular around the world in their support of Palestinians living in bantustans. Our Canadian PM isn't much better, frankly. The whole situation is deeply shameful.

the sign I posted, how long do you think it would last in a New York subway, do you think it would ever even get put up?

Doubt it.

What point are you getting here?

It's fine. Israel needs to go away. They had more than a fair shot for a two state settlement. They chose to be greedy. Now is the time for one state for all people. No more apartheid.

I totally agree with you....we'll give everything back and leave quietly as soon the Americans give the land back to the Indians and when the Australians give the land back to the Aborigines.....and so on and so forth....

Oh and I also agree with you that it's entirely OUR fault that there hasn't been peace in the middle east for the past 60...70..100...thousands of years, right? The other side has been absolutely perfect *hangs head in sorrow*

Why oh why am I a citizen of such a cruel and barbaric state??.....:sad:

AchtungBono said:
I totally agree with you....we'll give everything back and leave quietly as soon the Americans give the land back to the Indians and when the Australians give the land back to the Aborigines.....and so on and so forth....

Oh and I also agree with you that it's entirely OUR fault that there hasn't been peace in the middle east for the past 60...70..100...thousands of years, right? The other side has been absolutely perfect *hangs head in sorrow*

Why oh why am I a citizen of such a cruel and barbaric state??.....:sad:

While the Jewish people have a right to their homeland, it is not right for them to violate international laws by settling in areas meant for Palestinians and practically force people from their homes. What happened in the U.S. and Australia hundreds of years ago doesn't justify what is going on in Israel right now.

And why do Israelis always say the Mideast has always been turmoil? If it always were, it wasn't between the Israelis and Palestinians. That is a conflict that only began when the state of Israel was created.

While the Jewish people have a right to their homeland, it is not right for them to violate international laws by settling in areas meant for Palestinians and practically force people from their homes. What happened in the U.S. and Australia hundreds of years ago doesn't justify what is going on in Israel right now.

And why do Israelis always say the Mideast has always been turmoil? If it always were, it wasn't between the Israelis and Palestinians. That is a conflict that only began when the state of Israel was created.

I truly think that this is the best history lesson you can ever have on the history of the conflict and negotiations.

The History of the Middle East Conflict in 11 Minutes - YouTube

Obama is the better man

Netanyahu phones Obama, congratulates him on election win
By TOVAH LAZAROFF
08/11/2012

PM tells the US president re-election is "a vote of confidence in your leadership"; US Ambassador Shapiro rejects idea that Obama would act out of emotion, revenge and take steps against PM.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu telephoned US President Barack Obama Thursday afternoon to personally congratulate him on his re-election to a second four-year term.

It was “a vote of confidence in your leadership,” Netanyahu said.

He looked forward, Netanyahu said, to continuing to work with the Obama to address the great challenges facing both the US and Israel as well as to advance peace and security in our region.

Click here for special JPost coverage

It was the latest in a series of conciliatory gestures to Obama, that Netanyahu has made since elections results were announced Wednesday.

Netanyahu is looking to reassure both Obama and the Israeli public that any past tensions between them, won’t impact their future relationship.

Earlier on Thursday, Netanyahu said, “In recent days, I have been hearing voices that are coming from among us that are trying to stir things up between us and United States.

“This will not help them,” he said at a cornerstone-laying ceremony at Ashdod Hospital.

“The alliance between Israel and the United States is strong. We have a strategic partnership. We have cooperation in all areas but especially in the security sphere; there, cooperation is deep, broad and fundamental,” he said.

“One of the foundations of our security is the brave partnership between us and the United States,” Netanyahu said.

On Wednesday, Netanyahu hosted US Ambassador Daniel Shapiro in his Jerusalem office to pledge his support for Obama.

But at a meeting with Jewish community leaders in New York on Wednesday Olmert slammed Netanyahu for supporting Obama’s Republican challengers Mitt Romney during the elections.

“Netanyahu’s behavior in recent months brings up the question if Netanyahu has a friend in the White House, and I'm not sure [he does],” Olmert said.

“This could be very critical in certain areas,” he added.

Senior Fatah official Nabil Shaath told Israel Radio on Thursday, “It was very clear that Mr. Netanyahu would have preferred Mr. Romney.”

Reporters and pundits have speculated that Obama would now “seek revenge” against Netanyahu.

A Israel Radio journalist asked Shapiro that question outright during an interview Thursday morning conducted in Hebrew.

Shapiro rejected the idea that Obama would determine US policy based on his emotional reaction to a head of state.

Shapiro said that Obama is motivated by strategy, not revenge. He noted that as president, Obama had a responsibility to preserve America's strategic interests, one of which was its strong ties with Israel.

“The close working relationship will continue,” Shapiro said.

Netanyahu, he said, is the elected leader of a significant American ally. As a result, it is important for Obama to have a good relationship with him.

Shapiro said he had been with the two men during the nine different face-to-face meetings they have had.

In each meeting they spoke in an open manner, Shapiro said. He added that they often speak on the phone. Their emissaries are charged with deepening the relationship, he said.

“It does not mean that there is no disagreement between the nations,² Shapiro said.

“We are good enough friends to disagree, and still work together to find a solution,” he added.

Shapiro said that when he met with Natanyahu on Wednesday, he accepted his warm congratulations on behalf of the Obama.

“We spoke about all the issues that we are working together on, the attempt to resume direct negotiations with the Palestinians, to prevent their unilateral steps at the UN, and to halt Iran nuclear program,” Shapiro said.

Both countries want to work together on security issues, he said.

He then met with Labor leader Shelly Yacimovich in Tel Aviv, where she congratulated him on US President Barack Obama's reelection.

Yacimovich also expressed admiration for Obama's economic and social reforms.

"Obama is a true friend of Israel and I am sure that in his second term he will continue to stand by Israel in diplomatic, security and international affairs," she said.

Lahav Harkov contributed to this report.

Deep, I am in total agreement with you about this. Our PM really put his foot in his mouth by openly endorsing Romney instead of remaining (at least outwardly) neutral. This "congratulatory" phone call was nothing more than lip service (in my opinion) and I bet there were a lot of smirks on the faces of those who were in the Oval office at the time, as well as major winces in Netanyahu's office.

Obama won't forget this and I'm pretty sure he'll have something to say about our upcoming elections also.

One thing is for sure - Netanyahu has managed to alienate nearly everyone who is supposed to be on our side - including France and most of Europe, and now his already-strained relationship with Washington will be growing steadily worse during the next four years. His new alliance with Avigdor Liberman (a known hardliner) is probably one of the worst political moves he's made recently, although on the surface it seems quite clever for him to try and save himself and his party from total defeat by comibing forces and hoping to double their seats in the Knesset.

Bottom line?.....I don't know yet who I'm voting for in the coming election but I don't believe it will be for Netanyahu. I really can't take four more years of waiting for the air-raid sirens to wake me from my sleep or going to work in the morning and not knowing if I'll be coming back at night.

It's funny though, the only PM we had who actually gave me hope in a better future and that peace actually was possible and within our grasp was the late PM Yitzchak Rabin - and unfortunately we all know what happened to him.

I'm really tired of this situation. We need to get back to the negotiating table and work out a solution to the conflict. Hopefully, my fellow citizens and I will have the courage to make the right choice for our country this time.

121115085055-israel-airstrike-gaza-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Solidarity with the Palestinian people.

(And the Israeli people unlucky enough to be hit by rockets)

Those Israeli forces are so kind and considerate.

Read many more messages from that same Twitter account, ugh.

Vlad n U 2 said:
Those Israeli forces are so kind and considerate.

Read many more messages from that same Twitter account, ugh.

I'd like to consider myself pretty evenin this conflict, and I feel tremendously sorry for your average Palestinian. And i think the IDF tends to overreact.

But, honesty, how kind and considerate would anyone be if Hamas is shooting rockets into Jerusalem?

But, honesty, how kind and considerate would anyone be if Hamas is shooting rockets into Jerusalem?

Wait, didn't the IDF start this particular conflict and Hamas are merely retaliating? I don't think Hamas, as awfully reactionary as they are, started this one.

This time they did. During the days before Hamas military chief was killed by the IDF, hundreds of rockets were fired to the southern parts of Israel.
It seems like inner politics within the Hamas was the motive for launching rockets at first. Just like it is here for carrying out the kind of reaction the government did - the elections in Israel are around the corner (a little more than two months from now). Hamas is launching rockets at southern Israel for years , PTSD has become the norm there for most people (as I'm sure it is in Gaza). It's funny how it has become urgent to take care of it in such manner just before the elections are taking place.

Back
Top Bottom