Ritalin - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoneyAlways View Post
High school is just as risky as grade school. I think the reason many men don't risk it is b/c of salary concerns.
That may be a regional thing - in his school board there is equity of pay between primary and secondary teachers (obviously with experience and advanced degrees all being equal).

Old 08-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAnne View Post

My daughter struggles in english and history - due to being assigned things that are uninteresting.
Really? It's all uninteresting?

Old 08-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
My daughter struggles in english and history - due to being assigned things that are uninteresting.
I also hated both of those subjects when I was in school, for a similar reason. I thought the books assigned were of little relevance, for example, and at least in my high school, Shakespeare was pushed religiously. I'm not saying that there is no value in reading his works, but 2-3 per year is pushing it especially when a lot of the kids in class had no interest in English lit to begin with.

At the same time, I wonder how far this can go. Because the reality of life is that you are always going to be doing uninteresting things. Does anybody at work ask me if drafting this agreement or that is interesting? Yarite, you just do it. So part of me feel justified in complaining and the other part thinks that we should suck it up to an extent because life isn't a buffet.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #79
Refugee

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoneyAlways View Post
Really? It's all uninteresting?
She's fine with learning in class and class participation. She struggles with the assigned reading. In English, the stories covered may be interesting overall - but she struggles to get through the reading. Audio books have made a huge difference in getting her through it. In Social Studies, the homework assignments usually consist of reading the chapter and answering the questions in the back which is basically a review of reading the chapter. It's boring reading to her and takes her hours to get through.. so she'll tend to not do the homework and her grades then suffer.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #80
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
At the same time, I wonder how far this can go. Because the reality of life is that you are always going to be doing uninteresting things. Does anybody at work ask me if drafting this agreement or that is interesting? Yarite, you just do it. So part of me feel justified in complaining and the other part thinks that we should suck it up to an extent because life isn't a buffet.
I've been teaching her the "suck it up because it's life" idea. I tell her to figure out how to get through this stuff because you will always have to do something that you are not interested in. I push her like it's her attitude, but in the last six months, I have started to wonder if she just can't control the focus and perhaps should take the focus medicine for homework too. She's almost 16.. I'm letting her figure that out for herself.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
I've been teaching her the "suck it up because it's life" idea. I tell her to figure out how to get through this stuff because you will always have to do something that you are not interested in. I push her like it's her attitude, but in the last six months, I have started to wonder if she just can't control the focus and perhaps should take the focus medicine for homework too. She's almost 16.. I'm letting her figure that out for herself.
She's probably in my grade, then... just remember, medicine won't make her more interested in the material.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #82
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
She's probably in my grade, then... just remember, medicine won't make her more interested in the material.
Absolutely. I don't expect her to be more interested, I just want her to keep up with what is required. I'm not pushing for excelling beyond... I just want her to get a C and avoid D's & F's.

She's going into her sophomore year.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
from Dreadsox mere hours after I implied that Dreadsox might be an idiot
Yup, I think too highly of myself.
we´ll call you blow
Old 08-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:56 AM
Quote:
Thanks Matt!
A good rap in the knuckles for bad behavior is perhaps now replaced with giving the kid a pill. Either way though, the education system has the kid being forced to conform to a certain style of learning.. just sit still and make yourself focus.. when a lot of kids just don't have the ability to learn that way.
kids should not be given pills because adults want them to function for society in a certain way

when kids are aggressive that´s another thing

but to conform to a certain style of learning????

has this world gone crazy?? parents allow their kids to take (prescribed legal) drugs, or even push them to take drugs?

i am not sure i understand the argument right but if i do, parents make their kids take drugs because the "system" (which the parents, being part of society, create) forces them to conform to a certain style of learning?

so when uncle doctor tells you your kid is "too active" it just needs to be brainwashed?? give the kid drugs so he calms down? so in the future he won´t be a creative mover and shaker but brave sheep?

correct me if i´m wrong.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
It was a great day. So when my military buddies bust my chops - I laugh, because they would not understand that the things like these little stories mean more to me than the jokes and public perception of males in my profession

i fully support more male teachers at the elementary school level.

my first job was as a teaching assistant in a preschool. the other two men who worked in the early childhood school (nursery through 2nd grade) were, likewise, gay.

this is something straight American men need to get over, and yet another reason why homophobia hurts everyone. men are going to choose *not* to work with younger children because, god forbid, someone might make the (possibly mistaken) assumption that they're gay?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:29 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i fully support more male teachers at the elementary school level.

my first job was as a teaching assistant in a preschool. the other two men who worked in the early childhood school (nursery through 2nd grade) were, likewise, gay.

this is something straight American men need to get over, and yet another reason why homophobia hurts everyone. men are going to choose *not* to work with younger children because, god forbid, someone might make the (possibly mistaken) assumption that they're gay?
I thought the reason for many men rather teaching older kids than kindergarten, preschool or elementary school was more along anitram's line of making one wrong movement and someone will call you a pervert and sue you (which is also easily done when the teacher e.g. gives bad grades. You just have to accuse him of touching children improperly, and it's almost impossible for him to get out of the ensuing mill).

I went to school with quite a few kids one might diagnose with ADHD. But all these children I know had another thing in common: A broken family situation.
I guess cases of true ADHD really are very rare. Far more often it's rather being subchallenged or, like others said, sitting in a class room listening to the teacher is just not your way of learning.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #87
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 04:56 PM
When my son was in elementary to middle school I had several teachers suggest medication for my son who was borderline ADD/ADHD. I refused to medicate him, and worked harder as a struggling single parent with school officials, counselors and male friends and family members to keep the meds away. My son became involved in sports which helped a lot. When he was in high school he began to see more of his father which made a difference also. I think we were lucky, and I believe in my case we did the right thing.

My son is in 4th year college now. Last week while driving together to visit family in Nor. Calif. he shocked me by telling me he's been taking ADD meds to stay awake and focus more. These medications are easily available on campus. I didn't know what to say to him after everything I went through during his challenging childhood. He claims they help, that he doesn't take them all the time and he guarantees he won't become hooked on them.

I don't know what to think!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I thought the reason for many men rather teaching older kids than kindergarten, preschool or elementary school was more along anitram's line of making one wrong movement and someone will call you a pervert and sue you.

some people conflate the two.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #89
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
When my son was in elementary to middle school I had several teachers suggest medication for my son who was borderline ADD/ADHD. I refused to medicate him, and worked harder as a struggling single parent with school officials, counselors and male friends and family members to keep the meds away. My son became involved in sports which helped a lot. When he was in high school he began to see more of his father which made a difference also. I think we were lucky, and I believe in my case we did the right thing.

My son is in 4th year college now. Last week while driving together to visit family in Nor. Calif. he shocked me by telling me he's been taking ADD meds to stay awake and focus more. These medications are easily available on campus. I didn't know what to say to him after everything I went through during his challenging childhood. He claims they help, that he doesn't take them all the time and he guarantees he won't become hooked on them.

I don't know what to think!
- I'd say you should be thinking you did a great job with your son - he obviously knows how loved he his and what a great relationship you must have in that he must trust you enormously to be able to tell you what he is doing - most kids, no matter their age, would keep that kind of stuff firmly under wraps. hope it all works out for him
Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #90
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Thanks. We've had a rocky relationship at times but I do believe we have a very close bond. This I know due to the things he shares with me and as you stated above. Things have really changed when he became a father. I always told him you see your parents in a whole new light when you become a parent yourself and this is another of my pieces of advice that he is amazed at and tells me all the time how right I am! I love hearing that from him, it makes all the bad times we've had just melt away. He is such a smart young man with a wonderful future ahead of him.

Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot.