RIP Steve Jobs - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 PM
On October 14th in his honor people can wear Levis and a black mockneck, that's what they just said on the news.

I was wondering if the stores would close, thought they definitely should for at least his funeral or something but I guess that was just for renovations? Maybe they just say that''s what he would want, to stay open.. I don't know.

SEATTLE — Microsoft Corp co-founder and chairman Bill Gates bid farewell to his long-time friend and competitor Steve Jobs on Wednesday, using the Apple co-founder's own words in his tribute.

"For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it's been an insanely great honor," Gates said in an e-mailed statement. "I will miss Steve immensely."

"Insanely great" was of one of Jobs' favorite expressions.

"The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come," Gates said.

Gates, 55, and Jobs, 56, were twin figureheads in the early development of personal computers in the 1970s and 1980s. They became friends and fierce competitors.

"Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives," said Gates.

"I'm truly saddened to learn of (his) death," he said. "Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie

And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

~Country Joe and the Fish

I'm sad Steve Jobs died.

I'm sad several thousand people died today.

I'm sad.

Steve Jobs

Born in San Fransico

Favorite music: The Beatles (The Apple records translated into the
Apple logo)

and Bob Dylan (I wished he had listened to the lyrics)

He chose Buddhism as his religion.

Giving is essential to Buddhism. Giving includes charity, or giving material help to people in want.

CARPE DIEM: The Mystery of Steve Jobs's Charitable Giving vs. The Non-Mystery of Joe Biden's Extreme Stinginess

Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

just as an aside, Biden making $200,000 a year as a Senator is pennies compared to the rest of them, and $200K is roughly middle class for an East Coast city -- especially considering the price of a 1-bedroom condo in DC starts around $400K.

say what you will about Biden, his blue collar roots are far more authentic than pretty much anyone else in the Senate, which is mostly a millionaire's club.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #64
45:33

Local Time: 06:11 AM
10,000 tweets a second yesterday apparently - a record
Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Nice to know Steve Jobs isn't dead 24 hours and he's already being used as a political weapon.

Martin Bashir Exploits Steve Jobs' Death To Slam Sarah Palin | MSNBC Video | Mediaite

Martin Bashir is an embarrassment. His life must be tremendously sad. And Dylan Ratigan is a tool.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #66
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse
Bob Dylan (I wished he had listened to the lyrics)
Well that seems unnecessarily condescending.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #67
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

As to the actual reason for this thread, it has been interesting to reflect on how much of Jobs' vision and drive has affected the way I live. The original Macintosh was my family's first computer. I remember using Photoshop back when everything was still black and white. I remember hours spent playing Prince of Persia and Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiago? The first computer I bought with my own money was the first iMac (which turned out to be a bit of a lemon, but after a few go arounds with service was fine), which served me well through college. Then I got an iMac SE (in Graphite, the best color by far), then a mini, and finally my MacBook Pro. I have the original iPod mini (battery finally crapped out this year, an iPod classic (that's still going strong), an iPhone, and I'm typing this on an iPad. I can access my entire music collection on a device 1/4 the size of the original Macintosh mouse. I can use my phone to look up great places to eat in any neighborhood I happen to be in, and then give me directions to get there.

Not a day goes by that I don't interact with an Apple product. And in the vast majority of cases, the interaction is pretty seamless - no fighting software, no swapping out hardware - I know what it can do, and it does it when I want it to. I can't really ask for much more than that.

RIP Steve Jobs, you made the world you lived in a better place.

And so I'm not getting to serious here:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/las...s-doing,26268/
Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #68
Refugee

from U2.com

'What made Steve Jobs truly great is that he was only interested in doing truly great things. He was bored by an easy ride or easy profit. In a world littered with dull objects, he brought the beauty of clean lines and clear thought. This rhyme of intellect and intuition could be applied to a wide range of subjects from the US education system, to sculpture, to the fight against HIV/AIDS where his support of (RED) literally transformed the lives of two million people in Africa.

He changed music. He changed film. He changed the personal computer and turned telephony on its head while he was at it. He was tenacious in the extreme, his toughness never more evident than these past few years in his fight for his life as well as his companies'.

Steve told me as proud as he was of Apple and Pixar, his real pride was his family. He was a thoughtful and tender father, and loved nothing more than hanging out in the house with his belle Laurene and the kids.

I already miss him...one of a very small group of anarchic Americans who through technology literally invented the 21st century. We will all miss the hardware software Elvis.'

Bono
Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:11 AM
Bono - may call him a thoughtful and tender father, but that was not always the case.

CEO of world's most successful company committed perjury and let his daughter go on welfare

Quote:
Jobs has a daughter, Lisa Brennan Jobs, born in 1978 with his high school girlfriend, Chris Ann Brennan.
Fortune magazine reported that Jobs denied paternity of Lisa for years, at one point swearing in a court document that he was infertile and could not have children. According to the report, Chris Ann Brennan collected welfare for a time to support the child, until Jobs later acknowledged Lisa as his daughter.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #70
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
and Bob Dylan (I wished he had listened to the lyrics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
He chose Buddhism as his religion.

Giving is essential to Buddhism. Giving includes charity, or giving material help to people in want.

CARPE DIEM: The Mystery of Steve Jobs's Charitable Giving vs. The Non-Mystery of Joe Biden's Extreme Stinginess
What a cowardly and misrepresentative "article".
Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #71
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Apparently you can only be charitable if you publicize it.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Oversize novelty cheques and the front cover of Time declaring your awesomeness or it didn't happen.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #73
45:33

Local Time: 06:11 AM
I had no idea he owned Pixar. Did he have anything to do with Toy Story?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:11 AM
no
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:11 PM
A religious guy, Iron Horse, is quick to pass judgment about the private life of a total stranger?

You don't say....