Rick Sanchez Is No Longer With The Company

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
He's always seemed like a loose cannon to me, like he could snap at any minute live on air. I'm just surprised he did it on Sirius and not on CNN. I hear Mel Gibson is looking for a friend..:wink:

Rick Sanchez has been fired from CNN following his controversial comments on a radio show Thursday.

"Rick Sanchez is no longer with the company. We thank Rick for his years of service and we wish him well,' a CNN statement said.

Sanchez did not appear on the air Friday.

Appearing on "Stand Up with Pete Dominick" Thursday, Sanchez called Jon Stewart a "bigot" and said that CNN and the other networks are all run by Jewish people.

Discussing Stewart with radio host Pete Dominick, Sanchez said that the "Daily Show" host has a limited worldview, and called him a "bigot."

The conversation began with Sanchez decrying "elite, Northeast establishment liberals" who "deep down, when they look at a guy like me, they see a guy automatically who belongs in the second tier, and not the top tier.

"I think to some extent Jon Stewart and [Stephen] Colbert are the same way. I think Jon Stewart's a bigot," he said. "I think he looks at the world through, his mom, who was a school teacher, and his dad, who was a physicist or something like that. Great, I'm so happy that he grew up in a suburban middle class New Jersey home with everything you could ever imagine."

When asked who Stewart is bigoted against, Sanchez said "everybody else who's not like him."

Sanchez would eventually retract the "bigot" claim, settling instead on calling Stewart "prejudicial" and "uninformed."

But he made a larger point when Dominick suggested that Stewart could understand being part of an oppressed minority group because he is Jewish.

Sanchez scoffed at the claim, snickering and suggesting that CNN and the rest of the media is run by Jewish people (from the "Stand Up with Pete Dominick" blog):

"Very powerless people... [snickers] He's such a minority, I mean, you know [sarcastically]... Please, what are you kidding? ... I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they -- the people in this country who are Jewish -- are an oppressed minority? Yeah." [sarcastically]

He's a wanker. Maybe Fox will hire him as a commentator and he'll run for Congress in a couple of years.

I was thinking he might end up on FOX, maybe they've already called

Jon Stewart broke his silence over Rick Sanchez's comments about him and Sanchez's firing from CNN Saturday night.

After remaining quiet Friday as Sanchez's controversial comments from a radio show — in which he called Stewart a "bigot" and suggested that the media is run by Jewish people — became major news, Stewart addressed the issue at Comedy Central's "Night of Too Many Stars" at New York's Beacon Theater.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Stewart made at least two references to the situation while hosting the event, which was a fundraiser for autism research.

"If you went on radio and said the Jews control the media...you may want to hold on to your money," he said, according to THR's Georg Szalai. Later, he joked, "All he has to do is apologize to us, and we'll hire him back."

Later in the show, David Letterman made a surprise appearance and joked that he was late because he was "helping Rick Sanchez clean out his office," according to GossipCop.

Ironically, one of the major hangups Sanchez had in the radio segment was that Stewart has a responsibility to the American public as a newsman, despite the host's (correct) insistence that Stewart is a comedian.

Exactly the same trap Tucker Bowtie Shithead got pulled into when Stewart appeared on Crossfire and destroyed the show from the inside out in half an hour.

Is it really so controversial to suggest Jewish Americans are well represented in the US media? Jews are hardly an oppressed minority in the US - sarcasm is an appropriate response to such a claim, I would have thought.

However, I am guessing this guy had previous form in stoking controversy.

Is it really so controversial to suggest Jewish Americans are well represented in the US media? Jews are hardly an oppressed minority in the US - sarcasm is an appropriate response to such a claim, I would have thought.
No, it's not controversial to say it if one is having an intelligent conversation.

It's about how he said it, and the context. See: Dr. Laura

^That, and I dunno, but I honestly don't give a crap what the racial/ethnic/religious/etc. background of anyone who runs anything is.

Later in the show, David Letterman made a surprise appearance and joked that he was late because he was "helping Rick Sanchez clean out his office," according to GossipCop.

Ooooh, snap.

This whole story confuses me because from what I've seen of Rick's show in the past, normally he's never seemed to have any issue with Jon, so I'm not entirely sure where that sudden attack on him came from (and "bigot"? Really? I mean, I don't know Jon Stewart personally, but he sure as heck doesn't come off as a bigot to me). Irritated about the occasional jokes with the taser deal, I'm guessing? He may well have had some legitimate arguments in relation to how Cuban-Americans are treated in this country compared to other groups of people, but there are certainly a whole lot better ways out there to discuss such things.

That said, I don't know if I'd have fired the guy, necessarily-maybe privately talked to him and given him some sort of warning or something. Other people say stupid things on the air all the time and they get to keep their jobs. But that's CNN's call, not mine, so...:shrug:.

Should be interesting to watch "The Daily Show" tonight, definitely.

Angela

This whole story confuses me because from what I've seen of Rick's show in the past, normally he's never seemed to have any issue with Jon, so I'm not entirely sure where that sudden attack on him came from (and "bigot"? Really? I mean, I don't know Jon Stewart personally, but he sure as heck doesn't come off as a bigot to me)

Maybe it's jealousy-that Jon is a bigger media personality and gets much more media attention. I don't think Rick Sanchez could lead a very big march on Washington.

Christopher Hitchens is calling on Jon Stewart and others in the media to join him in urging CNN to reinstate Rick Sanchez.

In a Slate column Monday, Hitchens defended Sanchez's controversial comments that the media is run by Jewish people.

"I ask myself if the world in which I have worked for so many decades--the intersecting and overlapping world of the news media, publishing, the academy, and the think-tank industry--is even imaginable without the presence of liberal American Jews. The answer is plainly no," Hitchens writes. "Moreover, I can't think of any other 'minority' of which this is remotely true, unless it were to be the other minority from which I can claim descent: people of British or Anglophile provenance."

Hitchens wrote that Sanchez "didn't descend into saying that there was Jewish control of the media, but he did imply that liberalism was linked to a single ethnicity" and added that "there is nothing criminal about this."

He connected Sanchez's abrupt firing to those of Octavia Nasr from CNN (after her kind words toward a late Hezbollah leader) and Dr. Laura Schlessinger (following her N-word rant) and said that, together, these incidents "suggest a network system that cares only about playing safe and avoiding 'offense.'"

Over the weekend, Stewart (who Sanchez called a "bigot" before discussing Jewish people at large) joked that "All [Sanchez] has to do is apologize to us [Jews], and we'll hire him back."

Hitchens called on Stewart to make good on that comedic claim, and join him in urging CNN to reinstate Sanchez:

The best way to demonstrate the hidden influence of the chosen people would be for Jon Stewart and others to join me in calling for Rick Sanchez's reinstatement. If it then didn't happen, it would help us understand who really pulls the strings around here.

Hitchens wrote that Sanchez "didn't descend into saying that there was Jewish control of the media, but he did imply that liberalism was linked to a single ethnicity" and added that "there is nothing criminal about this."

:huh: I'm not sure Hitchens was paying attention.

CNN Fires Rick Sanchez For Anti-Semitic Tirade Against Jon Stewart | Focal Point | Big Think

What Sanchez said next hasn't gotten as much media play as the "Jews run CNN" allegation, but it's even uglier. When Dominick implied that Jews can relate to the oppression of Hispanics because of their cultural memory of the Holocaust, Sanchez shot back that he hoped Jews fear a repeat of the Holocaust.

Pete asked, “They can’t relate to that? A Jewish person doesn’t have a constant fear in the back of their head that we could [inaudible] the Holocaust?”

“I think his father could,” Sanchez replied, referring to Stewart.

“I think every Jewish person feels that way,” Pete said.

“I hope so,” Sanchez responded.

I'm not sure I am reading it the same way some of the people here are. What I'm reading is that he feels each generation loses sight of the horrors that happened before and becomes less vigilant, which can allow it to happen again. Am I missing something?

What I'm reading is that he feels each generation loses sight of the horrors that happened before and becomes less vigilant, which can allow it to happen again. Am I missing something?

That's what I was thinking. I think, after what's happened and in the context of his other remarks..that's why it could be read/interpreted in another way if someone was so inclined. The whole transcript exists somewhere-maybe there's more context for that. "I hope so" taken out of context is just a strange sounding set of words.

I'm not sure I am reading it the same way some of the people here are. What I'm reading is that he feels each generation loses sight of the horrors that happened before and becomes less vigilant, which can allow it to happen again. Am I missing something?

But why should the just the Jews fear it? Why shouldn't we all fear this? I mean if we're going to promote "fear" as being some good thing, some sign of not losing sight, then why not all of us? To me it just came off as "the Jews are in control therefore they're arrogant elitist who no longer have to fear"...

Pete asked, “They can’t relate to that? A Jewish person doesn’t have a constant fear in the back of their head that we could [inaudible] the Holocaust?”

“I think his father could,” Sanchez replied, referring to Stewart.

“I think every Jewish person feels that way,” Pete said.

“I hope so,” Sanchez responded.

I'm reading this quote very carefully. (I think what Sanchez originally said was stupid and maybe deserved a firing) I deliberately omitted the writer's interpretation of the exchange.

Dominick specifically dealt with the Jews and the Holocaust. Sanchez answered that--so I don't think you can determine from that that he thinks only the Jews should fear the Holocaust.

Now the ugliest interpretation I can reasonably give this and it's marginally closer to yours and ugly is that "now you're on top. It won't take much for that to change." But I can't see your read on it. I just think we have to be careful when parsing so we are very sure what the meaning is. I could be wrong. But I'm not sure you have enough ammunition there.

Sanchez has a HUGE chip on his shoulder about being Hispanic in the milky white waves of the mainstream media.

Stewart is able to laugh at, poke fun at, and still acknowledge his cultural heritage.

Sanchez just deals horribly with questions of race or background. It's fine to feel a certain way and talk about it, but not in the way he did it.

Can you explain why you think that what Sanchez originally said deserved a firing?

CNN took a bit of shit for Glenn Beck, so I think they are gun-shy about any controversial statements. I'm waiting for Joy Behar to say the wrong thing, too.

That doesn't explain why he deserved it, just why they did it.

Jon Stewart did a great interview with Terry Gross last night on Fresh Air.

He is SO smart and funny.

Jon Stewart: The Most Trusted Name In Fake News : NPR
"I think there's this whole idea now that there's a liberal media conspiracy, and I think they feel if they express any authority or judgment, which is what I imagine is editorial control, they will be vilified."

I think this is what Irvine has been saying here for years now.

Maybe it's jealousy-that Jon is a bigger media personality and gets much more media attention. I don't think Rick Sanchez could lead a very big march on Washington.

Probably not, no. I heard he got a bit irritated at the constant poking fun at him, but, um, if that's the case, newsflash, Jon kinda pokes fun at all sorts of people, of all stripes. It's not like he's the first one. I really admire the way Jon handled the story on his show last night. Very classy response :up:. I also liked his bit about how the media focused more on this story than what he and his fellow comedians did at the autism benefit-nice point. The so-called "professional" news media seems to have an incredibly thin skin sometimes, they tend to get all riled up whenever Jon or Stephen make some sort of joke about them. They start analyzing the hell out of whatever the two of them said and kind of wind up proving those guys' point that the news media's priorities are really screwed up sometimes.

Jon actually summed up the media's problems best in that NPR link:

On politicians and the media

But I have become increasingly unnerved by the depth of corruption that exists at many different levels. I'm less upset with politicians than [with] the media. I feel like politicians — the way I explain it, is when you go to a zoo and a monkey throws feces, it's a monkey. But when the zookeeper is standing right there and he doesn't say, 'Bad monkey' — somebody's gotta be the zookeeper. I feel much more strongly about the abdication of responsibility by the media than by political advocates.

He was also dead-on about the Democrats, too. Jon's incredibly smart, yes, which I admire immensely, and definitely funny (the Barbie line at the end of that article...:laugh:). I'm glad people like him exist out there, we need somebody to point out the craziness of all this. 'Cause if you don't laugh, you're just going to cry, and I'd rather laugh and try to fix things than cry and give up. Excellent interview, thanks for sharing it, Mark.

Angela

Can you explain why you think that what Sanchez originally said deserved a firing?

I said maybe. In this case, it was because I was too lazy to think about whether or not he should have been fired. I didn't have any strong feeling one way or the other. I wasn't outraged or anything and personally I wouldn't be calling for a firing based on this one episode. I'm also not sure he is anyone I'd be championing.

I don't think he made much of a case for Jon Stewart's bigotry. Bias, maybe. Sure. Nobody should be a sacred cow and it could have been an interesting take. But he chose to be a flamethrower.

In this case, it was because I was too lazy to think about whether or not he should have been fired.

That's awesome :lol: :sexywink:

Rick Sanchez has reportedly apologized to Jon Stewart for his comments last week, which resulted in his firing from CNN.

Breaking News Hound reported that Sanchez's wife, Suzanne, had updated her Facebook page late Monday afternoon. The message read:

rick apologized to jon stewart today.they had a good talk. jon was gracious and called rick, "thin-skinned." he's right. rick feels horrible that in an effort to make a broader point about the media, his exhaustion from working 14 hr days for 2 mo. straight, caused him to mangle his thought process inartfully. he got caught up in the banter and deeply apologizes to anyone who was offended by his unintended comments.

Facebook-run by Zuckerberg. Might have stolen the idea :uhoh: I wonder if Rick's seen the movie...plenty of free time now to go :wink:

It's always good to see the newsmen (or so) doing all the newsmaking.:up::heart: Matinees are always fun. I envy Sanchez the movie popcorn.

NPR Ends Juan Williams' Contract After Muslim Remarks : NPR

Williams said: "Look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

NPR
did they do the right thing?

Anytime someone starts off a sentence with "I'm not a bigot, but..." you know they're going to say something bigoted. :lol:

Business is about money, right?

NPR is during a pledge drive. This may have cost them money. This was the right capitalism thing to do.

Juan Williams has been pushing his boundaries with NPR for a long time with his place on Fox News. I think NPR was looking for a reason, and they found a good one.

I support them for getting rid of Williams.

Controversy recently erupted when Rick Sanchez, whom CNN subsequently sacked, noted that Jews have a disproportionately large influence on the media. Attempts at disproving his assertion have been fitful and unconvincing. But perhaps I’m not being fair to the critics. The facts that Sanchez was canned and that the New York Post’s Andrea Peyser denounced him as a “Jew-baiter” should prove something. What exactly this is, I wouldn’t dare say, lest someone take away my retirement pension. The most elaborate effort to discredit Rick I found was in the predominantly Jewish liberal website Salon. Here we learn that Jews do not dominate the media, seeing that none of the current presidents of CBS, NBC, or ABC is Jewish. This is to pounce on a technicality. CBS founder William Paley, Fred Friendly (the father of network journalism), and a multitude of other TV and film executives have been Jewish. This Jewish preponderance is also apparent to anyone who looks at the columnists in The New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Washington Times, etc.

None of this would matter if Jewish media celebrities represented a wide range of opinions, but they don’t. Their effect, as Joe Sobran repeatedly observed to his misfortune, has been to push our entire political culture’s spectrum to the left. The neoconservatives dismantled the American right when they took it over in the 1980s. They made it roughly identical with what had previously been the center-left, while conferring on “conservatism” a liberal internationalist foreign policy and a distinctive position in Middle Eastern politics. They also buried whatever opposition to their takeover still existed on the right.

Jewish media predominance is not equivalent to Jews winning prizes in medicine and chess. Shaping public opinion is more serious politically and culturally than winning a Nobel Prize in molecular biology or becoming a chess master.

Rick Sanchez Takes on the Jewish Media, and Loses - Taki's Magazine

Back
Top Bottom