Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a great convention for the GOP! Giuliani and Palin were fabulous!!

...with the added bonus of a bunch of hippies getting beat down outside the arena. :up:

Praising violence... Is that the Republican way? :slant:

Palin was good, not great but suprisingly good, but Giuliani was horrible and bitter.

A town of 9000....how very Obama of you. Again neglecting her work as the Governor of Alaska. Lets continue to pretend that McCain pulled her out of a tiny town's Mayoral office so we can ignore her accomplishments in Juneau. I guess you have to since she has done more in 2 years as a Governor than Obama has done in his political career.

So what exactly has she done as a governor?

So what exactly has she done as a governor?

- Cut special needs education by 62% (despite saying she'll be a champion for special needs kids now that she has one of her own)

- Supported the "Bridge to Nowhere" before it became unpopular

- Stopped the "Bridge to Nowhere" when it did become unpopular....but kept the federal money for it in Alaska (so...she didn't really say "thanks, but no thanks")

- Was in charge of the Alaskan National Guard....until they got called up for duty.

- Cut income taxes....because they guy before her had increased the sales tax, allowing for income taxes to be cut.

- Lived close to the North Pole, which, as Jon Stewart said, made her an expert on foreign relations with Santa Claus.

A town of 9000....how very Obama of you. Again neglecting her work as the Governor of Alaska. Lets continue to pretend that McCain pulled her out of a tiny town's Mayoral office so we can ignore her accomplishments in Juneau. I guess you have to since she has done more in 2 years as a Governor than Obama has done in his political career.

honestly... if you were speaking of new york or california or illinois or florida i'd be with the whole "done more in 2 years as governor" thing... but she's the governor of friggin alaska. the county on long island in which i live has a higher population and bigger economy than alaska, and frankly i'd trust biden, obama or mccain with the country long before i'd trust nassau county executive tom suozzi, even though suozzi has more hands on executive experience than either biden, obama or mccain.

honestly... if you were speaking of new york or california or illinois or florida i'd be with the whole "done more in 2 years as governor" thing... but she's the governor of friggin alaska. the county on long island in which i live has a higher population and bigger economy than alaska, and frankly i'd trust biden, obama or mccain with the country long before i'd trust nassau county executive tom suozzi, even though suozzi has more hands on executive experience than either biden, obama or mccain.

you are such a sexist. :tsk:

you are such a sexist. :tsk:

i can't help it. the (wo)man has kept me down for too long. fight the power :fistintheair:

but really... let's make a list of people with more executive experience than barack obama, joe biden and john mccain. i'll get the list started...

-marion barry
-kwame kilpatrick
-clint eastwood
-jesse "the body" ventura

She is the Governor, the executive of a State with a population of approx 700,000.

Biden is one of two Senators, of a State with a population of approx 800,000.

i can't help it. the (wo)man has kept me down for too long. fight the power :fistintheair:

but really... let's make a list of people with more executive experience than barack obama, joe biden and john mccain. i'll get the list started...

-marion barry
-kwame kilpatrick
-clint eastwood
-jesse "the body" ventura

lol.

She is the Governor, the executive of a State with a population of approx 700,000.

Biden is one of two Senators, of a State with a population of approx 800,000.

thusly illustrating how thoroughly absurd this comparison is.

the more important question than "do you trust this person based on their experience" would be "do you trust this person to be the ultimate decision maker, and maybe even more importantly, do you trust that they will surround themselves with the best people they can who can help them make this decision."

i'd vote for someone without a day of political experience if the answer to that question was "yes."

for example... even if mccain had never been a senator, i would hold mccain's experience in the military to be much more important than palin's experience hearding moose. but hey, that's me.

it's a very simple choice:

do you want someone with a military back ground,
that has been an inspiration to millions
that was overwhelmingly elected by the citizens in his home state,
led in hard times to turn the economy around and put people to work
all the while battling the old guard

or do you want to follow someone that just happens to be:

a person of color
that went to law school
and became a lawyer
and took a low paying job as a community activist :shrug:

hitler.jpg
300_152273.jpg

Speaking of '20th century, go to sleep'...

Inspired maybe, but over the line.

Now that the convention is over even w Sarah I have no false illusions.
Sure Mac is a good man, but he still has a large hill to climb.

Unless he wins the debates -O will win.

At this point in time, it's still Barry's and his to lose.

<>

I'd say it's as good as

Jesus was a community organizer

Pontius Pilate was a governor

or Sarah Palin is same as convicted felon Marion Barry

Now that the convention is over even w Sarah I have no false illusions.
Sure Mac is a good man, but he still has a large hill to climb.

Unless he wins the debates -O will win.

At this point in time, it's still Barry's and his to lose.

<>

My hope is that the McCain we see for the rest of the race is the McCain we saw last night.

deep, your post is ridiculous.

Because Obama wasn't elected by the citizens of his State? Because he doesn't inspire millions? What garbage honestly, do you even want to have an honest debate?

hey, I'd vote for Gandhi over ( that other guy) experience and military service.

and I'd vote for Jesus (Obama) over Pontius Pilate ( Palin )

I'd say it's as good as

Jesus was a community organizer

Pontius Pilate was a governor

or Sarah Palin is same as convicted felon Marion Barry

i believe the entire point of my posts and yours as that you have to judge someone on their entire being, and even then, you still simply have to use your gut feeling... because even the most experienced of people sometimes aren't the best choices for the job. and sometimes the most inexperienced is the best. and sometimes the most experienced is the best. and sometimes the least experienced is the worst.

every one is different, and every candidate should be judged on their own all around merit... but in the end you just go with your gut and hope you picked the guy who can become great.

i honestly do believe in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 that george bush had an opportunity to become one of the greatest leaders we have ever had. then he went... took his gun, turned it around and shot himself in the face.

or was that cheney :scratch:

whatever.

some people, even when they're handed a chance at immortality on a silver plater still spill the soup.

i think mccain will be a good president. obama could be one of the best we ever had, or he could be a disaster. high risk/high reward.

i'm done rambling now.

Last edited:
i honestly do believe in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 that george bush had an opportunity to become one of the greatest leaders we have ever had. then he went... took his gun, turned it around and shot himself in the face.

or was that cheney :scratch:

whatever.

some people, even when they're handed a chance at immortality on a silver plater still spill the soup.

can't argue with that.

I haven't seen any reason to believe that Palin had tough decisions to make as governor of Alaska- this is a state so wealthy from oil revenue that they literally pay people to live there. No state sales or income taxes. Mock Kathleen Sebelius all you want, but the other 49 state governors actually need to balance social services with taxes. In that regard being governor of Alaska sounds rather unique.

I haven't seen any reason to believe that Palin had tough decisions to make as governor of Alaska- this is a state so wealthy from oil revenue that they literally pay people to live there. No state sales or income taxes. Mock Kathleen Sebelius all you want, but the other 49 state governors actually need to balance social services with taxes. In that regard being governor of Alaska sounds rather unique.

don't forget about the millions of dollars in earmarks that the state has received from the federal government! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom