Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Transcipt here:

He used the particular phrasing deep quoted (out of context) because that was what the interviewer had just said, verbatim.

I not going to bother to google
but, Clark was given an opportunity to revise or change his remarks

A better response would have been

"I don't think it is fair to describe McCain's experience as riding in a plane and getting shot down."

And McCain's service or mine does not alone make us qualified"

I'm just going to show examples that I found on YouTube for it's too late to really search for all the quotes, but you have to know that McCain was attacked pretty hard by conservatives, unless you were asleep.

Here are two MINOR examples:

YouTube - Mitt Romney attack ad against John McCain - "Waltz"

YouTube - Giuliani Campaign on the Attack

And here's the bit on Palin.

How does she not know:

YouTube - Sarah Palin - What does a VP do anyway?

1st one. That is NOTHING like saying that a person in not ready to be President than flipping when you are asked to join the ticket. Policy vs. Competence. It was also misleading because it cut all of what was said.

2nd I saw nothing from Rudy. The Biden quote was directly from HIM. Nice try but not even close.

3. I dont see that as an unreasonable statement from someone who is not part of the Washington scene. She is a Governor dealing with her state. I'm prety confident most Americans dont know the day to day duties of a VP other than being 1st in line to the Oval Office

Nice try on the Video's but questioning policy is part of the process. Saying directly that Obama does not have the experience to be President is not questioning policy. He started a fact that he is now backing away from for the chance to be VP.

I not going to bother to google
but, Clark was given an opportunity to revise or change his remarks

A better response would have been

"I don't think it is fair to describe McCain's experience as riding in a plane and getting shot down."

And McCain's service or mine does not alone make us qualified"

Why would he revise or change them, when, in the context of the interview/conversation, they made perfect sense?

1st one. That is NOTHING like saying that a person in not ready to be President than flipping when you are asked to join the ticket. Policy vs. Competence. It was also misleading because it cut all of what was said.

2nd I saw nothing from Rudy. The Biden quote was directly from HIM. Nice try but not even close.

3. I dont see that as an unreasonable statement from someone who is not part of the Washington scene. She is a Governor dealing with her state. I'm prety confident most Americans dont know the day to day duties of a VP other than being 1st in line to the Oval Office

Nice try on the Video's but questioning policy is part of the process. Saying directly that Obama does not have the experience to be President is not questioning policy. He started a fact that he is now backing away from for the chance to be VP.

Well actually there is a quote from Romney saying he isn't ready for office, and it's been posted in FYM and other places I just don't have the time to look it up, I'm about to go to sleep....

I can't see how anyone can accept that quote from Palin. First of all you would think someone in politics would have at least a high school understanding of federal politics. Secondly, if you're vetted you would think you would do a little research...

Why would he revise or change them, when, in the context of the interview/conversation, they made perfect sense?

So if someone ask McCain if he thought being raised on foodstamps and snorting cocaine qualified Obama to be President?

He should have replied,

"I don't think being raised on foodstamps and snorting cocaine qualifies someone to be president." ?

So if someone ask McCain if he thought being raised on foodstamps and snorting cocaine qualified Obama to be President?

He should have replied,

"I don't think being raised on foodstamps and snorting cocaine qualifies someone to be president." ?

Why not? He wouldn't have been criticizing or judging Obama with a statement like that. It's the truth. I feel the same way about what Clark said.

Again from the context, it's obvious that Schieffer wasn't deriding McCain's experiences, either.

Sheesh.

Maybe you should give me a link to the context in which it was used? I sure wouldn't want to arrive at any erroneous conclusions by not doing a little sourcing to get credible information, or relying on Stewart and Colbert writers or '100% true' emails from a friend.

But the guy that is after that office is 72 years old and has several known serious health issues. The reason why Palin's qualifications for president are important comes down to three words:

HE COULD DIE.

I think you knew that.

the whole mccain could die argument is a little unseemly to me. yes, mccain could die. bush could die. obama could die. palin could die. biden could die. i could die. you could die. everybody could die die.

that's what human's do. they live, and then they die. mccain obviously has some very good genes, as his mother is in great shape in her mid 90's. he obviously has and will continue to have the best medical attention in the world. and in today's world for a man to live well into his 80's is not out of the ordinary.

this whole "he could die" argument against palin is kinda ridiculous. if one were to consistantly use the "well there are a lot of racist nutjobs in this country who could shoot obama" argument, they'd be ridiculed for at worst being a bigot and at best having poor taste, even though there is some truth to it.

yes, mccain could die. he could also live to be 102. but the odds of him, or any president for that matter, dying in office is not good. 8 presidents have died in office... 4 of them died of natural causes, 4 of them were assasinated. so from a historical perspective the odds of a president dying from health complications are no greater than the odds of a president dying from assasination, and the odds of either happening is at best a bit less than 20%, and considering that only 2 presidents have died in office in the past 70 years, probably closer to 10%.

frankly... the entire "he could die" argument is without taste, and if you're going to apply it to one nominee, you should equally apply it to the other.

and if that's your argument... that if both presidents were to die that you'd trust biden more than palin, then fine. that's valid. but please let's stop with this "he's old, he could die" line. anyone could die, and both nominees are likely to live throughout their terms.

the whole mccain could die argument is a little unseemly to me. yes, mccain could die. bush could die. obama could die. palin could die. biden could die. i could die. you could die. everybody could die die.

that's what human's do. they live, and then they die. mccain obviously has some very good genes, as his mother is in great shape in her mid 90's.

Has he? I thought that his father and grandparents died in their early 60's. So while it may be possible (the good genes), it's not a sure thing.

he obviously has and will continue to have the best medical attention in the world. and in today's world for a man to live well into his 80's is not out of the ordinary.

True, but the average life expectancy is somewhere in the 70's. Add to that that McCain has been treated for cancer 4 times, so there is a health risk.

yes, mccain could die. he could also live to be 102. but the odds of him, or any president for that matter, dying in office is not good. 8 presidents have died in office... 4 of them died of natural causes, 4 of them were assasinated. so from a historical perspective the odds of a president dying from health complications are no greater than the odds of a president dying from assasination, and the odds of either happening is at best a bit less than 20%, and considering that only 2 presidents have died in office in the past 70 years, probably closer to 10%.

But McCain will be (one of the) oldest to take the office, so I'd put the odds higher.

frankly... the entire "he could die" argument is without taste, and if you're going to apply it to one nominee, you should equally apply it to the other.

and if that's your argument... that if both presidents were to die that you'd trust biden more than palin, then fine. that's valid. but please let's stop with this "he's old, he could die" line. anyone could die, and both nominees are likely to live throughout their terms.

I think that's the main argument, it certainly is mine. Obama could die too and then I trust Biden more than Palin (in experience and policies). Do you trust someone, who needed extra help to run a town of 9,000, to run the most powerful democracy in the world?

I think that's the main argument, it certainly is mine. Obama could die too and then I trust Biden more than Palin (in experience and policies). Do you trust someone, who needed extra help to run a town of 9,000, to run the most powerful democracy in the world?

A town of 9000....how very Obama of you. Again neglecting her work as the Governor of Alaska. Lets continue to pretend that McCain pulled her out of a tiny town's Mayoral office so we can ignore her accomplishments in Juneau. I guess you have to since she has done more in 2 years as a Governor than Obama has done in his political career.

I trust her more than Obama or Biden.

It seems that the you on the left want to keep making this argument because their guys don't measure up to John McCain. Lets keep playing up his age and the issue of mortality so we can avoid addressing McCain's experience and accomplishments and why his is the best choice to run this country.

keep trying

yes, I agree this is the main point for me. Who would be better to run the country if either candidate won (and then something happened to them)? Biden, I think is more qualified to handle the job than Palin is. Frankly, I would be scared shitless if it was her..

yes, I agree this is the main point for me. Who would be better to run the country if either candidate won (and then something happened to them)? Biden, I think is more qualified to handle the job than Palin is. Frankly, I would be scared shitless if it was her..

Suppose McCain had picked someone very experienced and qualified (Lieberman, Ridge, Romney, whoever), and Obama had picked a Palin-type person, such as Sebelius, who has been governor of Kansas for 5 and half years and... that's about it. How would you feel then? Policy positions aside, who would be, as you said, more qualified to lead this country, and who, in your own words, would be the "scary" choice?

lolol. This is still hilarious that people are actually debating the merits of the Republican party after the last 8 yrs.

Can the Republicans ever actually pick songs by musicians that don't loathe them?

One more for the road...the Wilson sisters and Sony BMG have sent a cease and desist letter:

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We
hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

"Sarah Palin's views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song 'Barracuda' no longer be used to promote her image. The song 'Barracuda' was written in the late 70s as a scathing rant against the soulless, corporate nature of the music business, particularly for women. (The 'barracuda' represented the business.) While Heart did not and would not authorize the use of their song at the RNC, there's irony in Republican strategists' choice to make use of it there."

With that elephant in the room, Heart's Nancy Wilson felt compelled to personally respond. "I think it's completely unfair to be so misrepresented," she said in a phone call to EW.com after the speech. "I feel completely f---ed over.

CNN

Suppose McCain had picked someone very experienced and qualified (Lieberman, Ridge, Romney, whoever), and Obama had picked a Palin-type person, such as Sebelius, who has been governor of Kansas for 5 and half years and... that's about it. How would you feel then? Policy positions aside, who would be, as you said, more qualified to lead this country, and who, in your own words, would be the "scary" choice?

how, exactly, is Sebelius like Palin, other than the fact that both are female governors?

What a great convention for the GOP! Giuliani and Palin were fabulous!!

...with the added bonus of a bunch of hippies getting beat down outside the arena. :up:

Back
Top Bottom