Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same thing happened during the last three or four RNCs. If you really believe that there are voters out there that are going to make their voting decision based on a few protesters at a convention, you have a warped sense of what influences voters.

I don't know. Reasonable people, I think, saw a pretty tame, calm, optimistic speech which really didn't warrant at all such a pathetic display of protest, and they're going to think, "Hey, nobody interrupted Obama's speech." :shrug:

Of course it won't completely influence voters, but it can't help the Democrats.

TheEdge_U2JT, could you please tell me if you were outraged when Karl Rove criticized Governor Kaine's 3 years of service as governor and for being a mayor of Richmond, a town of "only" 200,000 people?

Dont be like the AP and post partial quotes...read everything I said.

Answer her...because you sound pretty much like the AP and posting partial opinions!

She has experience with very important domestic issues. McCain has the foreign policy expertise. That is a balanced ticket.

Like Obama/Biden? :lol:

Dont be like the AP and post partial quotes...read everything I said.

She has experience with very important domestic issues. McCain has the foreign policy expertise. That is a balanced ticket.

you know what? i'm not getting into a political debate tonight. you can go read the threads and you'll find my opinions fully expressed, and i've addressed every rather tired point you've brought up in this thread.

so i don't mean to be rude, i'm just not up for a debate right now.

i'm interested in figuring out what this night means, and what this speech means.

because i'm kind of fascinated by what just happened.

I preferred his speech to Palin's, and yes, I'm keeping in mind the purpose each has. He did his speech better. I may not agree with him, but it wasn't bad.

What planet are you on???
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who works on the Obama campaign and is the staunchest of Democrats. He was ecstatic at how he thinks McCain blew this speech. He actually predicted that in the press tomorrow that somewhere in some article will be the word "consession speech" - that's how bad he thought it was. Personally I didn't get to watch it because I was working (will watch it later tonight on re-broadcast). This same friend watched with glee last night thinking Sarah Palin was going to suck...after watching the speech he was truly scared. He admitted he totally underestimated her. Now however he is once again relieved. The point being: Here's a guy who despises both McCain and Palin but actually has the honesty to admit that Palin is a force to be reckoned with. Unlike most biased Democrats on FYM.

Of course it won't completely influence voters, but it can't help the Democrats.

So, you truly think that the indecisive voter is going to be thinking 61 days from now "You know, those three protesters at the RNC were just wrong! I am voting McCain!"?

You obviously do not think highly of these independents.

Most undecided voters have already forgotten about the three protesters. They are trying to determine which candidate aligns with their values.

So, you truly think that the indecisive voter is going to be thinking 61 days from now "You know, those three protesters at the RNC were just wrong! I am voting McCain!"?

You obviously do not think highly of these independents.

Most undecided voters have already forgotten about the three protesters. They are trying to determine which candidate aligns with their values.

Independents, at least those starting from scratch more or less, immediately saw a low display by the left. That's all I'm saying. It didn't help their cause.

Well you are confusing Obama with some of his supporters. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen Obama try and sell him running a campaign as executive experience... maybe I'm wrong. But I think I know where you are getting these "selling" points and if I'm right you are confused.

In case the FoxNews web site it to Right-leaning for you...I dont think anyone would mistake the NY Post as a conservative paper

OBAMA: I'VE GOT MORE EXPERIENCE THAN PALIN - New York Post

You just can't get over the fact that I was right in predicting the Sarah Palin nomination can you?

Funny story- My brother, a fellow conservative, was hoping about 6 weeks ago that McCain would pick Palin. He printed out a pretend McCain/Palin poster and stuck it outside his cubicle at work. A month later, when the announcement indeed came, some guy stuck his head in his cubicle and said "So what are next week's lottery numbers?"

seems like the point of the speech was that Republicans need to get off their Jesus horses and listen to him or the present incarnation of the party is going to be swept into the dustbin of history in November.

perhaps it was a concession speech.

I don't see why those of you think the Republican Party is changing, think so.

You say Palin, Jindal, et al are the future of the party, and point at Romney, Guiliani, Huckabee, et al as your candidates of today. In Palin and Guiliani, I see neo-cons, in Romney and Huckabee, I see a sort of moderate, sort of neocon, who could easily make the move right to being a full-on neocon, and Jindal, I honestly don't know anything about.

I see the party moving further to the right before it ever gets more moderate again.

McCain is a dying breed. His Republicans don't exist anymore. And he's had to sell out a great deal, arguably most, of what he's believed in to get this far. He knows that. I think there was a subtle shade of sadness in speech tonight reflecting this.

I preferred his speech to Palin's, and yes, I'm keeping in mind the purpose each has. He did his speech better. I may not agree with him, but it wasn't bad.

I hear where you are coming from

McCain is the true moderate, and his speech was more bi-partisan
plus there was an authenticity to it, because it was the real McCain.

Jindal, I honestly don't know anything about.

Jindal seems like a competent executive, yet he thinks castrating sex offenders is a good idea. and exorcisms, too.

McCain is a dying breed. His Republicans don't exist anymore. And he's had to sell out a great deal, arguably most, of what he's believed in to get this far. He knows that. I think there was a subtle shade of sadness in speech tonight reflecting this.

the more i think about it, the more touching it almost kind of is.

but then i'm just a biased Obama idiot.

his speech was more bi-partisan
plus there was an authenticity to it, because it was the real McCain.

In contrast, her speech came across as mean, non-inclusive and smug.

I think they actually realize they went too far.

Independents, at least those starting from scratch more or less, immediately saw a low display by the left. That's all I'm saying. It didn't help their cause.

You are insulting their intelligence. Or, possibly, it is your intelligence!

So, according to your logic (or the lack of), the undecided voters lack the intelligence to decipher the difference between the actions of three protesters at the RNC, and a presidential ticket. They will automitcally think "evil protestors raining on the RNC MUST be Democratic operatives...this is horrible and I obviously need to vote for McCain because of how evil they are."

O.K.

Any other theories?

Concession speech? :scratch:

he distanced himself from the party. he was all about who he was, what he believed, and he repudiated both the base and the last 8 years.

he can't win without the base. he knows this.

it was a very reflective speech, wistful even, and very little red meat. almost none. almost an explanation of who he has been for the past 40 years and how he wants to distance himself from the freak show the Republican Party has become since Bush 1.

Back
Top Bottom