Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I preferred his speech to Palin's, and yes, I'm keeping in mind the purpose each has. He did his speech better. I may not agree with him, but it wasn't bad.

When Obama's campaign 1st responds to Palin's selection,they ONLY talked about her as a "mayor of a town of 9000." Then earlier this week Obama tried to sell that his running of a campaign with 2500 people and its large budget was more executive experience than that of Palin. However,again, he described her work as a Mayor overseeing 25 people and a budget of 11 million, not as the Governor of Alaska.

The fact is they are afraid to speak about her as Governor because it only serves to show that Obama has no executive experience and has done absolutely nothing for his entire political career. Unless 100's of votes of "present" in the IL state legislature is considered some great achievement by those on the left.

so how did you feel about McCain's speech where he just repudiated the last 8 years?

so, at the end of the day
will there be a McCain /Palin bounce, that will manifest about this time next week?

since I like to handicap

I will say, yes

what do all you unbiased Obama supporters think?

It would be nice if you weren't so smugly sarcastic.

There should be a bounce. I don't think a huge one, but definitely something we can see.

When Obama's campaign 1st responds to Palin's selection,they ONLY talked about her as a "mayor of a town of 9000." Then earlier this week Obama tried to sell that his running of a campaign with 2500 people and its large budget was more executive experience than that of Palin. However,again, he described her work as a Mayor overseeing 25 people and a budget of 11 million, not as the Governor of Alaska.

The fact is they are afraid to speak about her as Governor because it only serves to show that Obama has no executive experience and has done absolutely nothing for his entire political career. Unless 100's of votes of "present" in the IL state legislature is considered some great achievement by those on the left.

Brother Chedge,

My my this is a surprise.

:angry:

<>

When Obama's campaign 1st responds to Palin's selection,they ONLY talked about her as a "mayor of a town of 9000."

So then I assume you were OUTRAGED when Karl Rove derided Tim Kaine for being a mayor of a town of 200,000 people and a Governor for "only" 3 years?

Still, when it comes down to it, Obama is just a better candidate than McCain. Experience this, experience that, bla bla ... bottom line? I don't like his stances.

Really? Obama has attacked Palin's experience?

Not as much attacked but belittled her Mayoral experience and ignored her 2 years as Governor of an important energy state. He can pretend all he wants that he bring more to the table but both McCain and Palin have, individually, done more than he has and as a team them, they leave him far behind.

Not as much attacked but belittled her Mayoral experience and ignored her 2 years as Governor of an important energy state. He can pretend all he wants that he bring more to the table but both McCain and Palin have, individually, done more than he has and as a team them, they leave him far behind.

by these standards, she's done much more than McCain.

the idea of a mccain white house... the REAL mccain... a joe lieberman sec/state... tom ridge sec/def... a bunch of moderate republicans... a few democrats sprinkled in... a hardcore right winger in some unimportant position just to keep the douchebags quiet... a mike bloomberg secretary of the treasury (ok a man can dream)... it all sounds very very appealing to me.

i still have only a mild belief that he's gonna win... but yea, it would be nice. :hmm:

the idea of a mccain white house... the REAL mccain... a joe lieberman sec/state... tom ridge sec/def... a bunch of moderate republicans... a few democrats sprinkled in... a hardcore right winger in some unimportant position just to keep the douchebags quiet... a mike bloomberg secretary of the treasury (ok a man can dream)... it all sounds very very appealing to me.

i hear the sound of 40 million unborn babies crying.

that's why you'll never get this.

You know I felt a strange vibe during this speech. Something akin to seeing a man who has given 40+ years of service to a company and now he is getting a gold watch (nomination) as recognition for that and he was giving them a retirement speech. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but it all sounded like good night and goodbye.

Maybe I need to see it again. I suffer from insomnia so it would serve a dual purpose.

You know I felt a strange vibe during this speech. Something akin to seeing a man who has given 40+ years of service to a company and now he is getting a gold watch (nomination) as recognition for that and he was giving them a retirement speech. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but it all sounded like good night and goodbye.

Maybe I need to see it again. I suffer from insomnia so it would serve a dual purpose.

yes. it was an elegy. he was trying to fix his place in history.

it was rather beautiful. the whole situation, not really the speech itself.

Well you are confusing Obama with some of his supporters. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen Obama try and sell him running a campaign as executive experience... maybe I'm wrong. But I think I know where you are getting these "selling" points and if I'm right you are confused.

how did you feel about McCain bashing the last 8 years?

I've, for the most part, been a supporter of the President. But I acknowledge times are tough right now on many fronts, and blame can be passed out to many many people. Like someone said earlier (Headache, I think), I really do think the Republican party is changing, and I like it. Though I myself disagree with them on a handful of things, I'll defend Bush and Cheney where I see fit, but I think the party needs new direction and new leadership. I like McCain. I like Palin. I like Jindal. I like Romney. I like Crist. I like Boehner, and others. This, in some ways, is hard to say, but after the speech yesterday and tonight's, I want to move beyond Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld and that crowd. I don't necessarily have many bad feelings towards them, I just don't want to see them anymore. I want a new Republican. I don't know. I'm not sure exactly what to think yet. :shrug:

Briefly about the speech- I thought it was excellent. I thought the video was great, and McCain speaking over the crowd at the end was (though it isn't as impressive compared to others), as fired up as I've probably ever seen him. I agree with the thoughts here that independents will very much like this speech. I think McCain really has a shot now.

i think McCain was telling us that we need to repudiate the horrors of the past 8 years.

and i think he knows that the way to do that is not to elect him.

i really do think that.

i love the cross section of 24 hour news...

on msnbc someone's saying that it's a typical republican speach and he did nothing to get independents... i immediately switch to fox where there's someone saying how he did a great job going after independents and clearly is going to leave palin to hold the base... and then i go to cnn and they're commenting on how bad old people dance to cheesey rock music.

awesome :hi5:

so how did you feel about McCain's speech where he just repudiated the last 8 years?

I though it was good. There needs to be changes. I think he has proven that he is not just going to tow the party line at all times. The bigger problem is getting the Congress to work together. For all the hate there is for Bush, shown in his low approval ratings, Congress under the Dems have had their approval rating as low as 9%. You cannot blame that on W. They are doing a bad job too. Until Congress is willing to compromise on both sides of the isle, there will not be significant changes.

I see McCain working with both sides which he has done... I dont see Obama doing that based on his background and what he has said.

i love the cross section of 24 hour news...

on msnbc someone's saying that it's a typical republican speach and he did nothing to get independents... i immediately switch to fox where there's someone saying how he did a great job going after independents and clearly is going to leave palin to hold the base... and then i go to cnn and they're commenting on how bad old people dance to cheesey rock music.

awesome :hi5:

msnbc

has really gone to shit lately

and it used to be one of my preferred channels :no:

fox is actually more objective

TheEdge_U2JT, could you please tell me if you were outraged when Karl Rove criticized Governor Kaine's 3 years of service as governor and for being a mayor of Richmond, a town of "only" 200,000 people?

Back
Top Bottom