Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why is a man like this running a campaign like that? and why did he choose a VP like that?

this is a generally subpar speech. it really is. uninspired, laundry-list-y, etc.

but it makes me like him. because it seems totally sincere. and totally the opposite of the vile campaign he's run so far.

I believe he is sincere

why? not because of just these words tonight

or because of stances or policies written on a web page

but because he has a career of pushing policies like these during his elected career,

for me previous deeds and actions are the best indicators of future deeds and actions

i think this is his swan song.

i think he knows it.

and i think he's saying goodbye to us and trying to reassert who he always wanted to be.

20th century, go to sleep ...

What do you find vile about the campaign so for? Honestly. He's be complimentary of Obama for his nomination both tonight an in an ad on the night of Obamas speech. What sis vile? Calling out a guy with no experience? Calling him out for having written 2 books yet no legislation?

honestly... leave the right wing talking points out of it tonight. there are a lot of people in here who are normaly dismissive of mccain who are saying that they liked the his speech because it was more of the old mccain.

debate the speech... don't turn this into a nitpicking over idiocy like "2 books and no legislation."

phpj22p8tpmta8.jpg

:hi5:

I believe he is sincere

why? not because of just these words tonight

or because of stances or policies written on a web page

stances and policies that have made him run a campaign like this, a VP like that, to sell out to the "base" in the worst ways possible, and to become a shell of what he used to be?

as i've said before ... everything George W. Bush touches turns to shit.

I thought the speech was fine. Strong finish, actually. However, I was taken aback by how similar his message was to Obama's.

And I'm sorry, but when I hear a Republican lamenting those left behind, I can't help but laugh a little at the balls it takes to say that.

i think this is his swan song.

i think he knows it.

and i think he's saying goodbye to us and trying to reassert who he always wanted to be.

i do believe he knows that running the same old republican campaign will get him slaughtered... so he's going to do just enough to keep the base from completely turning on him, but when it's all said and done, if he's gonna go down, he's gonna go down as john mccain, and hope for the best come november.

What do you find vile about the campaign so for? Honestly. He's be complimentary of Obama for his nomination both tonight an in an ad on the night of Obamas speech. What sis vile? Calling out a guy with no experience? Calling him out for having written 2 books yet no legislation?

Yes, he showed some class on Obama's speech night

and we have Obama going on O'Rielly to try and detract.

Obama :down:

i'm proud of him, actually.

he knows he's going to lose (likely). so he got to say what he's always wanted to say.

thank you for your service, Mr. McCain.

it seem there is noting that can be said to please you.
Well show me or explain to me what has been said that should please me.

that is if you are will to acknowledge Palin is a Governor and not just a mayor of a town of 9000 which is all the Obama campaign seems to speak of.
What are you talking about? Obama's denied that she's a governor?

the same lefty bitterness
And the same righty catch phrases...

I guess Palin has more executive experience than McCain then as well, eh?

She does from an executive standpoint but the issue is Obama is attacking the #2 on the ticket for experience not the person he is directly running against. As for the Obama/McCain experience issue...John has authored legislation. He has actually done something for the country. Things Obama cannot speak of himself. He has not attacked McCain experience because he cannot. The best he can do it try to link McCain to Bush.

i do believe he knows that running the same old republican campaign will get him slaughtered... so he's going to do just enough to keep the base from completely turning on him, but when it's all said and done, if he's gonna go down, he's gonna go down as john mccain, and hope for the best come november.

I really hope that's the way this campaign draws out. I like John McCain much better than President Bush's pal John McCain.

i agree.

it makes Palin look so vile.

And I'm sorry, but when I hear a Republican lamenting those left behind, I can't help but laugh a little at the balls it takes to say that.

So even through this whole process
you are oblivious to McCain and who he is and what he has done?

She does from an executive standpoint but the issue is Obama is attacking the #2 on the ticket for experience not the person he is directly running against. As for the Obama/McCain experience issue...John has authored legislation. He has actually done something for the country. Things Obama cannot speak of himself. He has not attacked McCain experience because he cannot. The best he can do it try to link McCain to Bush.

Just because she is the governor of Alaska doesn't mean she all of a sudden has enough experience to be President. Is that so far-fetched? You can't understand why an opponent would question that?

And Obama has authored legislation as well. Perhaps you should read up on what he's done before saying such things. He even co-sponsored a bill that McCain was involved in.

as someone who was a republican and left because of utter hatred for the far right... i honestly hope that this does mark a change in the republican party, that the moderate wing will gain more strength... and that if obama does win, that the party doesn't bury any chance for any sort of future moderate movement in the party.

Those protesters are really classless to do it during the speech, in the arena. It's lame, disruptive and only hurts their cause.

I agree. Reasonable, independent people can only be drawn to McCain after seeing that. It happened, what, twice? Three times? :tsk:

so, at the end of the day
will there be a McCain /Palin bounce, that will manifest about this time next week?

since I like to handicap

I will say, yes

what do all you unbiased Obama supporters think?

I agree. Reasonable, independent people can only be drawn to McCain after seeing that. It happened, what, twice? Three times? :tsk:

Same thing happened during the last three or four RNCs. If you really believe that there are voters out there that are going to make their voting decision based on a few protesters at a convention, you have a warped sense of what influences voters.

What are you talking about? Obama's denied that she's a governor?

When Obama's campaign 1st responds to Palin's selection,they ONLY talked about her as a "mayor of a town of 9000." Then earlier this week Obama tried to sell that his running of a campaign with 2500 people and its large budget was more executive experience than that of Palin. However,again, he described her work as a Mayor overseeing 25 people and a budget of 11 million, not as the Governor of Alaska.

The fact is they are afraid to speak about her as Governor because it only serves to show that Obama has no executive experience and has done absolutely nothing for his entire political career. Unless 100's of votes of "present" in the IL state legislature is considered some great achievement by those on the left.

Back
Top Bottom