Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's good to know the entire AP press corps hasn't drunk the Kool-aid. I'm glad somebody called the Repubs out on all their lies last night.

Attacks, praise stretch truth at GOP convention - Yahoo! News

Wow.
FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

So basically it is a blatant lie? :| Even if you divide 76,165 by the number of states, 23, it is still 3000 something. :huh:

i'll say one thing.. and this is my IMO.. She did not once point out last nite what she was going to do if she were VP. She just mocked/attacked Obama basically and along with the 15 min talk about her family and the McCain is a POW crap that seems to be the only point the Republicans are stressing as if this is all that matters.. Isn't that the point of this speech is to say what they stood for and what they were going to do if elected? I know it's crazy thought but aren't you as a nominee supposed to bring up these things/points?
hey if i were on the fence about who to vote for this untold information surely wouldn't help at all.. Just saying.. :shrug:

Uncle Jed doesn't know how to use the Internetz yet, no big deal. He's been having too much fun in the ce-ment pond.:lol: To be fair, though, the Huckster was the only one who didn't get nasty and tried to refrain from personal attacks. I'll applaud him that much, at least.

To be fair, though, the Huckster was the only one who didn't get nasty and tried to refrain from personal attacks. I'll applaud him that much, at least.

Yeah I agree.

So... 1525 is not greater than 76,165 or even 3311 (76165 / 23). Meaning it was a blatant lie. Is that right??? Or am I not seeing something I should be? :scratch:

"Just from what little I’ve seen of her and Mr. Obama, Sen. Obama, they're a member of an elitist-class individual that thinks that they're uppity," Westmoreland said.

Asked to clarify that he used the word “uppity,” Westmoreland said, “Uppity, yeah.”

The Congresswoman from Georgia likes her black men when they're nice and quiet.

Dumb bitch. She doesn't belong in public service.

To be fair, I had him confused with another one from GA I saw yesterday, so this one is in fact, a man.

But he can be a bitch too if you'd like. :sexywink:

Yeah I agree.

So... 1525 is not greater than 76,165 or even 3311 (76165 / 23). Meaning it was a blatant lie. Is that right??? Or am I not seeing something I should be? :scratch:

One thing we've learned, Republicans LOVE fuzzy math...

or perhaps he could have meant to say Sarah got more votes when she ran for Governor (of that tiny State ) not Mayor

than Biden got when he ran for President of all 50 states.

what a filthy, filthy lot.

Do you honestly feel that the writer that article was unbiased? If so, nothing I say could change your mind.

I'm not saying the points were invalid. I honestly don't know. I would have to do some real fact checking and not rely on some reporter to do it for me. It's just that the writer has an obvious pro-obama agenda by using "facts" from "think tanks," which we all know are never biased.

^The only point in which the author referred to a "think tank" was when referring to Palin's false points about Obama's tax plan. The author of the article was absolutely right in his rebuttal. If you look at both Obama and McCain's tax plans, that's what they come down to. Similar stories were run on NBC Nightly News and ABC World News a few months ago. I believe this is the story on which they were based. McCain's Tax Plan Aids Wealthy, Says Group | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Do you honestly feel that the writer that article was unbiased? If so, nothing I say could change your mind.

I'm not saying the points were invalid. I honestly don't know. I would have to do some real fact checking and not rely on some reporter to do it for me. It's just that the writer has an obvious pro-obama agenda by using "facts" from "think tanks," which we all know are never biased.

That's your answer? That the facts are biased?

Ever watch the Colbert Report? :wink:

Interesting opinion piece on the tone of the convention so far:

Douglas Rushkoff ? Hate Party

I felt a bit nauseous watching the Republican convention last night. I’m very much a give-the-benefit-of-the-doubt kind of guy, so I try to listen to the arguments people make even when they’re made in over-the-top or patronizing ways. Sometimes it’s good to distinguish between the rhetorical devices and the underlying substance. Even people who use manipulative language sometimes have an important point beneath their persuasion techniques (ads against smoking, for example).
I usually don’t feel uneasy when I put those filters on, but last night - during the Guiliani speech - I realized I was no longer filtering a speechwriter’s intentional manipulation; I was trying to look beyond real hate. These folks were gritting their teeth, shaking their fists, and smiling the way gladiators do when going into combat against barbarians. And this is the incumbent party. The ones currently in power.
What is it they hate? Guiliani and Palin both made it pretty clear: community organizing. Community organizing is energized from below. From the periphery. It is the direction and facilitation of mass energy towards productive and cooperative ends. It is about replacing conflict with collaboration. It is the opposite of war; it is peace.
Last night, the Republican Convention made it clear they prefer war. They see the world as a dangerous and terrible place. Like the fascist leaders satirized in Starship Troopers, they say they believe it is better to be on the offensive, taking the war to the people who might wish us harm than playing defense. It is better to be an international aggressor - a bulldog with lipstick - than led by the misguided notion that attacking people itself makes the world a more dangerous place.
In their attack on community organizing - a word combination they pretended they didn’t know what it meant - Giuliani and Palin revealed their refusal to acknowledge the kinds of bottom-up processes through which our society was built, and through which local communities can begin to assert some authority over their schools, environments, and economies. Without organized communities, you don’t get the reduction in centralized government the Republicans pretend to be arguing for. In their view, community organizing as, at best, equivalent to disruptive and unpredictable Al Qaeda activity.
But it actually goes deeper than this. Consider how Republicans have so far justified their choice of candidate: he is a “great man.” That America needs a “hero” in the White House to lead us in continued preemptive strikes against Bin Laden in Iraq (I know Bin Laden is not in Iraq, but Giuliani clearly implied he was). Only a leader with McCain’s war record and paternal qualifications can help Americans muster and maintain the tenacity necessary to “drill baby drill,” (even though this will have no influence on oil price or supply) and generate the requisite hate to “kill baby, kill.” As I explained in Coercion, having a parent figure on whom to transfer authority allows people to regress to a more childlike state. This not only allows them to feel safe; if gives them the freedom to express their rage. Make no mistake - that’s what we’re witnessing. And this rage - not America - is the greatest threat to humanity’s long-term chances for survival.
Republican party representatives are proud today that their convention has finally produced the “same level of energy and enthusiasm” as the DNC’s last week. And while it may have produced the same level of excitement, the excitement was of a very different character. It’s much easier to get people riled up but inviting them to hate a man - particularly one who they haven’t been allowed to hate for traditional reasons. Giuliani’s job - much like his job as mayor of NYC - was to give the Republicans in attendance permission to hate Obama and the potentially intelligent society he represents. It’s not about city vs. country or educated vs. military. It’s about thought vs. violence.
In the black and white world of those committed to war as an international relations strategy, voting “present” makes no sense - especially when the Illinois legislative process is willfully misrepresented. (Voting present is a way to preserve the bill without passing it in its current state. Far from an easy out, it is the hard path - requiring further negotiation to remove earmarks and other problems.) They would prefer the simple relief of a “yes or no” world, where the evil are punished and the good rewarded. For in such a world, we get to know who the enemy is and just hate them.
I don’t believe hate is the best way to motivate people to develop long-term solutions to problems. It is a tried and tested way to motivate them to short-term support of dangerous leaders. That much is certain. But if McCain and Palin are able to rouse the national hatred they will need to actually win this election, I fear they will have unleashed a force that they will be unable to control.

or perhaps he could have meant to say Sarah got more votes when she ran for Governor (of that tiny State ) not Mayor

than Biden got when he ran for President of all 50 states.
Oops, I don't think you meant to say that Biden ran for president. He ran for his own party's presidential nomination, just like Giuliani, Huckabee and Romney did (unlike them, he dropped out after one caucus). Any candidate from either major party who actually won their presidential primary and went on to compete in the general election would obviously get more votes than any governor of any state got in their gubernatorial general election, regardless of whether they won or not.

Last edited:
Olbermann just said spoke his mind after the 9/11 tribute video was shown:

"If at this late date any television network had of its own accord showed that much video tape and that much graphic video tape of 911, and I speak as somebody who lost a few friends there, it, we, would be rightly eviscerated at all quarters perhaps by the Republican party itself for exploiting the memories of the dead and perhaps even for trying to evoke that pain again. If you reacted to that video tape the way I did, I apologize. It is a subject of great pain for many of us still and was probably not appropriate to be shown."

:up:

One of the most enduring taboos in American politics, the airing of graphic images from the September 11 attacks in a partisan context, died today. It was nearly seven years old.

The informal prohibition, which had been occasionally threatened by political ads in recent years, was pronounced dead at approximately 7:40 CST, when a video aired before delegates at the Republican National Convention included slow-motion footage of a plane striking the World Trade Center, the towers' subsequent collapse, and smoke emerging from the Pentagon.

Classy.

The Republican party is like a metaphor for those people who had something terrible happen to them a long time, who never stop pitying themselves, and still talk incessantly about the tragedy years later. Those people always make me feel like shooting myself in the face after a conversation with them.:|

The Republican party is like a metaphor for those people who had something terrible happen to them a long time, who never stop pitying themselves, and still talk incessantly about the tragedy years later. Those people always make me feel like shooting myself in the face after a conversation with them.:|

I'm surprised they'd show 9/11 shots repeatedly. Aside from the fact it's crude, it is also a testament to their own failure. Way to go Condi and W.

I'm surprised they'd show 9/11 shots repeatedly. Aside from the fact it's crude, it is also a testament to their own failure. Way to go Condi and W.

The Bush administration has always operated under that whimsical, toddler-like quality of "if we don't see it, it doesn't exist", like all those daily briefings on Bin Laden that Bush received on a consistent basis during the summer of 2001.

Back
Top Bottom