Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gov. Palin met expectations, and a little more. I don't see where she turned off an independent.

I'm really, really surprised at how poor her speech was. Not the presentation, the actual written portion. Just a really poor speech.

Oh, I will. But I'm just saying she didn't have anyone representing her in this race until now. She will love every single thing about Palin, and especially the child with special needs. IF she had time to watch the speech, and if she didn't, her children with special needs support group will fill her in. :sigh:

I understand how someone from that very specific group would be taken with her, because it wouldn't be often that someone would find a politician they could identify with in that way.

While I don't think her family situation should be a topic for election debate necessarily, I've read enough about her in that respect to be highly skeptical, including the mindblowing risks she took with her pregnancy. As a mother, that simply floors me. Bad judgment at best, bad mother at worst.

are you that confident that folks sitting at home weren't thinking to themselves, "hehe, yeah, obama is a tool!"

It's not about what they were saying - as much as I so strongly disagree with all of it - it's about how they were saying it. I don't think a party willing to publicly mock the other guy with the aggression and relentlessness and cheerfulness that it tonight is going to come off very well to independents.

I heard she promised to be sworn in at the crib side of her special needs baby.

Also, she pledged to take the train home every night to baby Trig.

It's not about what they were saying - as much as I so strongly disagree with all of it - it's about how they were saying it. I don't think a party willing to publicly mock the other guy with the aggression and relentlessness and cheerfulness that it tonight is going to come off very well to independents.

on the other hand, i didn't expect "vote for us or the terrorists WILL KILL YOU!!!!!" to work either.

Funny thing about the Special Needs Kids bit.

If she, as VP, is really going to help out special needs kids....well, that's going to mean higher taxes and bigger government.

As it stands right now, most of the things that parents have a hard time getting for their kids are actually determined locally----LOCAL county and state governments determine the rules and availability of special programs in and out of schools, as well as cost and availability of medical equipment.

If Palin, as a special needs mom, is going to change this as VP---she's going to have join Barack Obama and use the Federal Government to "tell us what to do," as well as have "us" pay for it.

:shrug:

Fiery rhetoric, little substance.

If people want stuff, and the government's going to do it, it means "big" government and "higher" taxes.
:shrug:

Incredible? Which part? The part where she spent twenty minutes introducing her family? I don't care about her family. The part where she followed in Romney and Guiliani's footsteps in relentless mockery of Obama? The part where she didn't say a single thing about what makes her qualified for this job, about why she's capable of being VP?

You guys are awfully upset that she attacked Barack Obama- proof that she is doing her job. And I'm pretty sure she didn't spend 20 minutes on her family. Her role was to introduce herself, and her political upbringing, which she did. She talked about arguably the biggest issue this year, energy, which she can have an incredible voice in. She talked about McCain's qualifications and how empty and partisan Obama and Biden are. It was brilliant.

It will turn off independents.

I couldn't disagree more. She's attractive to small town people, middle America. She proved she's tough and made Obama sound small.

It's funny hearing people in here talk about how bad her speech was and how nobody outside the GOP will buy it. I'm shocked to hear that! :| Time will tell.

And people who don't want their kids used against them for political reasons.....

....shouldn't use them for political gain.

:tsk:

I wonder if all those independents who volunteer in their communities will like having community organizers mocked for having NO RESPONSIBILITIES. I guess all that talk of "service for your country" yesterday went out the window today. Way to reach out.

I find licking babies' heads heartwarming as well. It must've tasted like freedom.

You guys are awfully upset that she attacked Barack Obama- proof that she is doing her job. And I'm pretty sure she didn't spend 20 minutes on her family. Her role was to introduce herself, and her political upbringing, which she did. She talked about arguably the biggest issue this year, energy, which she can have an incredible voice in. She talked about McCain's qualifications and how empty and partisan Obama and Biden are. It was brilliant.

I couldn't disagree more. She's attractive to small town people, middle America. She proved she's tough and made Obama sound small.

It's funny hearing people in here talk about how bad her speech was and how nobody outside the GOP will buy it. I'm shocked to hear that! :| Time will tell.

And it's funny hearing you say you were jumping around your living room for a cookie cutter convention speech. :bvssmiley:

You guys are awfully upset that she attacked Barack Obama- proof that she is doing her job. And I'm pretty sure she didn't spend 20 minutes on her family. Her role was to introduce herself, and her political upbringing, which she did. She talked about arguably the biggest issue this year, energy, which she can have an incredible voice in.

do you feel comfortable with her assuming the presidency should McCain become incapacitated?

She talked about McCain's qualifications and how empty and partisan Obama and Biden are. It was brilliant.

she wasn't empty and partisan?

so what are the chances of Obama becoming incapacitated so Biden can take over?

you seem to have offered the argument that we shouldn't vote for Obama because, as a black man, he may be assassinated.

McCain has a 30% chance of dying before he gets to 80.

Rudy was about a 7.
That's generous-the crowd carried him.

Sarah was about an 8.75.
Great posture, great delivery, a little light on substance-but there will be time for details later.

<>

The term BRILLIANTLY SIMPLE comes to mind. The "attacks" on Obama were not vicious at all. She spoke quite eloquently and at quite length about McCain and, much less than I was thinking, about herself. The line that won the night was obvious...THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PITBULL AND A HOCKEY MOM? LIPSTICK!!!

I'm afraid it was quite a good speech and one that will win the hearts of many independents, mom's and small town American's.

you seem to have offered the argument that we shouldn't vote for Obama because, as a black man, he may be assassinated.

McCain has a 30% chance of dying before he gets to 80.

That is incorrect.

You forgot to include his recurrent melanoma statistics.

At least the GOP has that person in the proper spot on the ticket.

So you admit that Palin is not ready to be president?

Is this not the most important qualification of being VP?

For candidate with the health problems of McCain, the reason for selecting his VP should come down to three words: "I could die." Especially in this situation, it is imperative that the VP can be president, and you just admitted in not so many words that she isn't ready for it.

Back
Top Bottom