Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Todd Palin, world champion snow machine racer, is going to be my favorite election related item for quite a while. Yes, I'm a little immature.

This was a trying night.

It is telling - last week, all of the big Democratic speakers who knew John McCain bent over backwards to separate the man from the politician, saying things like, 'John McCain is a good man', 'John McCain is my friend', etc. They made a concerted effort to keep all attacks political and not personal.

Tonight, it has been a series of people, with the exception of Huckabee, who have made the concerted effort of mocking Obama relentlessly without any conscience at all. It is deplorable.

And seeing the people there fall for it all makes me sick.

If that's what'll play to your sister, maybe you might want to direct her to descriptions of how Palin foolishly risked her child's life by not seeking immediate medical attention when her water broke, and instead travelled for the better part of a day, placing her unborn child at risk?

Oh, I will. But I'm just saying she didn't have anyone representing her in this race until now. She will love every single thing about Palin, and especially the child with special needs. IF she had time to watch the speech, and if she didn't, her children with special needs support group will fill her in. :sigh:

Either way, the GOP has made no effort whatsoever to reach out beyond it's base. I cannot see a single independent being convinced by ANY of this. I'm actually surprised at how poorly they've done so far.

All white women. She has a uterus and so do I, therefore I worship her.

Me too.

All this talk of Obama and white women - why does McCain have a problem with black voters? Why isn't he reaching out to them? Do they also not live in this country? Does he not care that he'll get less than 2% of the vote?

Rudy was about a 7.
That's generous-the crowd carried him.

Sarah was about an 8.75.
Great posture, great delivery, a little light on substance-but there will be time for details later.

<>

and Irvine, don't know if you noticed but there was indeed a teleprompter. Someone mentioned not seeing one earlier in this thread (I think :scratch: )

VP :heart:

Incredible speech. I was jumping around my room cheering for most of it. :applaud:

I hate to be a downer and bring up Olbermann, but after Hillary and Michelle spoke, he said "That was perfect. That could not have gone any better." and couldn't contain his glee. In contrast, he just said "Those who like this sort of thing will like it." :rolleyes:

Incredible? Which part? The part where she spent twenty minutes introducing her family? I don't care about her family. The part where she followed in Romney and Guiliani's footsteps in relentless mockery of Obama? The part where she didn't say a single thing about what makes her qualified for this job, about why she's capable of being VP?

The speech was aimed at you: the base. It will turn off independents. The whole just thing screamed, "we don't think we need independents!"

The first time I actually watch a convention speech and it's completely underwhelming. Is this what passes for a great speech these days? I could have written that in half an hour.:down:

Tonight, it has been a series of people, with the exception of Huckabee, who have made the concerted effort of mocking Obama relentlessly without any conscience at all. It is deplorable.

And seeing the people there fall for it all makes me sick.

It's all about values. Aren't these the American values that we praise? :huh:

Good speech. If you like Cro-Magnon chest-thumping and mockery.

Me too.

All this talk of Obama and white women - why does McCain have a problem with black voters? Why isn't he reaching out to them? Do they also not live in this country? Does he not care that he'll get less than 2% of the vote?

Again, I thought I saw a camera shot into the crowd and saw one black male wearing a baseball cap. It was so quick, but I could swear it was Denzel Washington (he is Republican after all).

What about us basketball moms? :grumpy:

Either way, the GOP has made no effort whatsoever to reach out beyond it's base. I cannot see a single independent being convinced by ANY of this. I'm actually surprised at how poorly they've done so far.

:up:

If anything, what they've done tonight is going to turn off independents.

The first time I actually watch a convention speech and it's completely underwhelming. Is this what passes for a great speech these days? I could have written that in half an hour.:down:

you should have tuned in last week ...

(no, i don't think anyone thinks it was a great speech, it might have been an effective speech to some sections of the population)

Back
Top Bottom