Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Palin increases the audience for the RNC. Short term burst of energy and curiosity.

neither Bush nor Cheney are coming..

they are probably going to do a condensed version of the convention, maybe just one day, just doing official business and that's it.. Or even a postponement.

the whole thing is definitely up in the air..

I am very curious about how the storm will affect the convention. I hope it doesn't hit as hard as they are predicting, not only because a) duh, that's sure better for all the people living in that area; but b) it would be a shame the repubs wouldn't get to have their big shindig after the dems did.

I barely watched any of the other convention, but as I watched Obama's big speech, I will likely tune in for McCain's as well.

This is a good thing for McCain. The more distance he puts between himself and Bush the better off he'll be.

and because I am not religious
and people may actually get hurt

I will not say this is divine intervention to help McCain

( even when I was religious, I had more respect for God than to reduce him to a genie - that grants wishes, or Santa - that gives gifts )

( even when I was religious, I had more respect for God than to reduce him to a genie - that grants wishes, or Santa - that gives gifts )

i agree.

it's as foolish to say that Hurricane Katrina was sent to punish the gays heading to NOLA for Southern Decadance, or that the tornadoes in Colorado or praying for rain during Obama's speech are likewise acts of God.

i agree.

it's as foolish to say that Hurricane Katrina was sent to punish the gays heading to NOLA for Southern Decadance, or that the tornadoes in Colorado or praying for rain during Obama's speech are likewise acts of God.

unfortunately

if one is devout

and believes in "the scriptures"
God does do these very things

my opinion is God did all those things in the Bible just like he is doing them now.

or

the things that are attributed to him today are no more his doings
than are the things that the Bible compilers/ writers give him credit for.

What a couple of thousand years ago, he is all involved with micro-managing everything ?

and now he is all hands off ?

either he is in

or he is not.

Well, His faith thing was just a startup at that point. He kinda had to be involved at all levels to get it off the ground. :wink:

Now though? Business is booming, and he's got plenty of people willing to step in for him.

so he started the franchise and turned it over to the franchisees ?

I guess I should add that I do not believe God is a:

genie - that grants wishes

Santa - that gives gifts

Real Estate Broker - that distributes land to certain people

Binnie Hinn - that cures some people and lets others suffer

I guess I should add that I do not believe God is a:

genie - that grants wishes

Santa - that gives gifts

Real Estate Broker - that distributes land to certain people

Binnie Hinn - that cures some people and lets others suffer

maybe God is in us all and it's up to us to find out His will by believing in Him, having faith in him then being able to find out what His will is for us.

By doing this we are then able to ascertain how His aforemtioned attributes are suppose to interface with us personally.

Or

just don't believe in Him; and live our lives devoid of His guidance.

<>

how does Fred Thompson say these things with a straight face?

and, like, pretend that the media hasn't spent the last 8 years, erm, worshipping at the foot of the master, to borrow a phrase. the media has LOVED McCain.

i also can't stand this faux-down-home-ness stuff. yuck.

McCain did suffer. how awful. just awful.

i am very happy he's gone on to a life of significant distinction and apparent happiness since his unspeakable ordeal.

Irvine suggested I make my self-righteous posts in here...

Oh no. Thompson is now recapping John McCain's POW experience. I will not be able to tolerate the spasms/convulsions that I'm sure every Obama supporter is going through now. How dare they bring up stuff that has nothing to do with qualifications for being president!

Irvine suggested I make my self-righteous posts in here...

Oh no. Thompson is now recapping John McCain's POW experience. I will not be able to tolerate the spasms/convulsions that I'm sure every Obama supporter is going through now. How dare they bring up stuff that has nothing to do with qualifications for being president!

McCain did suffer. how awful. just awful.

i am very happy he's gone on to a life of significant distinction and apparent happiness since his unspeakable ordeal.

Irvine...

I guess I'm so jaded... but I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. Unfortunately, I've read one too many seething posts... by you or otherwise.

I'm sorry.

Irvine...

I guess I'm so jaded... but I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. Unfortunately, I've read one too many seething posts... by you or otherwise.

I'm sorry.

it was meant to be 100% sincere.

i'm also a bit dismayed that we don't seem to be able to make the distinction that saying that by virtue of being a POW, one is qualified to be president, or to bring up the tragedy of being a POW when asked about the amount of houses one owns is entirely inappropriate to the issues at hand.

of course being a POW is relevant to the McCain story, to McCain the man, to understanding him. and everyone, everyone in here acknowledges the hell he's been through, appreciates his service, and is grateful that he survived and has continued to serve his country.

To summarize Thompson's speech:

"A good presidential candidate needs three things:

1. Character - John McCain has this because he was a POW.
2. Judgment - John McCain has this because he was a POW.
3. Leadership - John McCain has this because he was a POW."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom