Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #736
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
IN addition ......Governor Palin State of the Sate address from this year in Jan. Long before any thought of a VP nomination.

The Swine Line
Entries RSS | Comments RSS

Governor Sarah Palin Speaks Truth to Power
Posted on January 25, 2008 by Leslie Paige

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin delivered her State of the State on January 15, 2008 and I was intrigued by this excerpt:

"To cultivate timber and agriculture, we’re encouraging responsible, economic efforts to revitalize our once-robust industries. We can and must continue to develop our economy, because we cannot and must not rely so heavily on federal government earmarks. Instead, let us power up and produce for Alaska and America. We can do this – we’re 50 years old now, and it’s time!"
Gee, that's interesting, because in this same year she also submitted to Congress a list of Alaska projects worth $197.8 million. (from the LA Times story)

She seems to be gifted in talking out of both sides of her mouth.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #737
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 10:36 PM
I'm not trying to deny that there were earmarks in Alaska. You still have to look at the records of Obama and Baden on the subject...very poor. And McCain...who practices what he preaches.

Regarding Palin...is there any evidence that is newer that 2006?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #738
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Gee, that's interesting, because in this same year she also submitted to Congress a list of Alaska projects worth $197.8 million. (from the LA Times story)

She seems to be gifted in talking out of both sides of her mouth.
What is the issue with projects that were submitted including improvement to their airports and research that effects their economy??
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #739
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
I'm not trying to deny that there were earmarks in Alaska. You still have to look at the records of Obama and Baden on the subject...very poor. And McCain...who practices what he preaches.
Well good for him.

But they're not preaching on earmarks, so I'm not sure why you are drawing a comparison here.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #740
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Well good for him.

But they're not preaching on earmarks, so I'm not sure why you are drawing a comparison here.
I'm just saying that is the Dems try to attack Palin on it, they are going to have to face up to their own pork. I dont think it is a battle that they will pursue if they are smart.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #741
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'm just saying that is the Dems try to attack Palin on it, they are going to have to face up to their own pork. I dont think it is a battle that they will pursue if they are smart.
They are attacking her for the hypocrisy because she is now running on an anti-earmark platform when in fact she's knee deep in pig shit.

Obama isn't running on such a platform and as far as I'm aware neither is Joe Biden.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #742
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
They are attacking her for the hypocrisy because she is now running on an anti-earmark platform when in fact she's knee deep in pig shit.
Bingo.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #743
War Child

Quote:

Obama isn't running on such a platform and as far as I'm aware neither is Joe Biden.

Then try it. It will bite them in the ass.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #744
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

How so? If McCain tries to go after them on their earmark record, all Obama has to do is say "take a look at your own VP pick before you go attacking others."
Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #745
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Then try it. It will bite them in the ass.
Furthermore - doesn't blatant hypocrisy bug you? Regardless of who is doing it? Shouldn't the exposure of hypocrisy be a good thing for a healthy campaign and an honest political discourse?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #746
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Drudge is saying that the Republican convention was the most watched convention in history, including 40 million watching both Palin and McCain. Though people in here may be skeptical, I think that's good news.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #747
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I think it's good news too. It hopefully means more people are paying attention and at least attempting to inform themselves.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #748
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Drudge is saying that the Republican convention was the most watched convention in history, including 40 million watching both Palin and McCain.

That's because people wanted to see who the hell Sarah Palin was. The focus of the convention changed from the presidential nominee, John McCain, to the VP pick, Sarah Palin. I don't think that's good news for McCain. Moreover, McCain may have had as many viewers as Palin, but I don't think that was necessarily "good" for any reason. People may have watched to see if he could top Palin; he didn't. People may have watched simply to compare his speech to Obama's; I think it paled in comparison, from the superficials of appearance and delivery, to the meat of specifics (Obama didn't offer many, but he offered more than McCain did). The remainder of people watched because they wanted to see the guy they're voting for anyway.

It doesn't matter how many people watched if the message wasn't successfully delivered. A billion people can watch the Super Bowl, but that isn't good news for football if they're all watching it for the commercials.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:15 AM   #749
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The five reasons why John McCain had a good convention

September 5, 2008, 08:42 AM GMT

John McCain’s speech was not exactly a classic—he spoke for too long and amid the heart tugging Vietnam tales were too many constipated smiles and wolverine grins—but the Republican candidate can leave St Paul very satisfied

After Barack Obama’s overblown but impressive performance in Denver and the Democrat’s final mending of fences with the Clintons, it seemed unlikely that McCain could match that success.

In fact, McCain has had an even more successful convention than Obama.

Here’s what he achieved.

1) FIRED UP HIS BASE

Picking Sarah Palin as his running mate has invigorated the Christian conservative base of the party no less dramatically than crack cocaine, people who had remained sceptical of McCain. That eliminates the enthusiasm and fundraising gaps to Obama, which could have been a major handicap as the election goes on. I also sense that people in St Paul warmed to McCain not just because he picked someone they liked but because he had the guts to do something different. Which brings us to…

2) REASSERTED HIS MAVERICK PERSONA

Again the Palin pick was decisive here. McCain picked her because she challenges the establishment and does her own thing. McCain saw a soul mate and in so doing showed that he is his own man rather than captive of the right of his party who have pushed him into conservative policy orthodoxy on a whole range of issues and risked undermining his appeal to floating voters. Because the right loves Palin, McCain is now free to drift to the centre and win over independents.

3) FOUND A MESSAGE TO APPEAL TO SMALL TOWN AMERICA

McCain and Palin both used their outsider credentials to make a bold pitch for small town blue collar votes. These are not the Hillary supporters who want government help, but those small “c” conservatives who want the government to leave them alone. In short McCain-Palin have put the Reagan-Democrats back in play and shown that they have a message that will make them competitive in all the swing states. Team Obama’s attacks on Mrs Palin’s small town background will only help.

4) DISOWNED THE BUSH YEARS

Obama’s favourite line of attack has been to denounce McCain for offering Bush’s third term. Hurricane Gustav helped keep George W. Bush from performing a live address this week. McCain banished the president (and Dick Cheney) to a video message (like being banished to Alaska), put out before the US television networks were broadcasting live. He then talked about reaching across the aisle and effectively sliced Bush from the history of the party he has dominated for eight years. Obama’s line of attack was never very plausible, given McCain’s history of stubborn independence and antagonism with Bush, now it is even less so.

5) KILLED OBAMA'S BOUNCE

A poll yesterday suggested that the national numbers are again a dead heat, a leeching of Democratic support, which had swelled Obama’s lead to 6-8 points by midweek. Only the debates and the unexpected (a terrorist attack, for instance) now have the power to change the dynamic dramatically before November 4th.

McCain has eliminated the prospect of an Obama landslide. Republicans now think they can win and some think they will win. Others, even some close to McCain, still think they are on the back foot, but it now seems unlikely that Obama has the time to build a dominating lead.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #750
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Drudge is saying that the Republican convention was the most watched convention in history, including 40 million watching both Palin and McCain. Though people in here may be skeptical, I think that's good news.
But the diehards at the convention looked bored during the McCain speech. They were anything but "fired up" Thursday night - their applause was not enthusiastic, etc. The McCain camp has to be worried about that.