Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #721
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
She and Ted Nugent were probably among the few rock musicians to allow their songs to be used.

I was wrong -

Quote:
TMZ.com is reporting that Ann and Nancy Wilson are upset that their 1977 rock hit "Barracuda" was used without their permission in the Xcel Energy Center at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #722
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
Thanks!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #723
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
Thanks!
If you read down in the comments though, there's some question as to how the money was allocated, and what they've determined to be additions to the budget for special needs kids was actually for at risk teens to enter some sort of pre-military training educational facility...

Or something like that. I only had time to skim.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #724
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
I was wrong -
My first thought when I heard that song last night was "oh John, there's another artist who will contact you in the morning with a cease and desist order..."
Old 09-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #725
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
If you read down in the comments though, there's some question as to how the money was allocated, and what they've determined to be additions to the budget for special needs kids was actually for at risk teens to enter some sort of pre-military training educational facility...
Yeah, I just noticed that. My feeling is that this isn't really something she should use often (or at all). Neither is the "Bridge to Nowhere." Nor fighting earmarks.

....Except they'll all be used!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #726
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
Yeah, I just noticed that. My feeling is that this isn't really something she should use often (or at all). Neither is the "Bridge to Nowhere." Nor fighting earmarks.

....Except they'll all be used!
I think that these things do need to be exposed, but that it should probably be left up to the media. The Obama campaign should probably just focus on McCain.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #727
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post

Or something like that. I only had time to skim.
this breakdown shows a net decrease of 1% for special needs, independent of the jr. military program: Daily Kos :: Comments Palin cut Special Education budget by 62%

the original blog post also indicates that special needs funding is set to increase in the future.

it doesn't seem like a strong angle to take at this point. better stick to the "i was for the bridge to nowhere before i was against the bridge to nowhere but even after i said no thanks to the bridge to nowhere i kept the money and used it on other projects" attack.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #728
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
this breakdown shows a net decrease of 1% for special needs, independent of the jr. military program: Daily Kos :: Comments Palin cut Special Education budget by 62%

the original blog post also indicates that special needs funding is set to increase in the future.

it doesn't seem like a strong angle to take at this point. better stick to the "i was for the bridge to nowhere before i was against the bridge to nowhere but even after i said no thanks to the bridge to nowhere i kept the money and used it on other projects" attack.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to take a closer look at it tonight.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #729
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
So what exactly has she done as a governor?
Since you asked

Potomac Watch - WSJ.com
Old 09-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #730
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
Since you asked

Potomac Watch - WSJ.com
i find it curious that the article pointed out that "The party has been plagued by earmarks...", but then failed to mention the millions of dollars palin secured from the federal government for wasilla and the state of alaska in her executives roles as mayor and governor.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #731
War Child

Quote:
i find it curious that the article pointed out that "The party has been plagued by earmarks...", but then failed to mention the millions of dollars palin secured from the federal government for wasilla and the state of alaska in her executives roles as mayor and governor.
Obamas side needs to be careful if they start bringing up earmarks.

Obama, Biden's Son Linked by Earmarks

also

Pork in the Presidential Race
Posted on August 28, 2008 by Alexa Moutevelis

CCAGW’s 2007 Congressional Ratings came out yesterday and you may be wondering how the presidential nominees did.

• Sen. Barack Obama’s (D-Ill.) 2007 rating was 10 percent, making his lifetime score 18 percent. The 2008 Congressional Pig Book contained 53 earmarks worth $97.4 million for Sen. Obama, including $1,648,850 for the Shedd Aquarium.

• Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.) received the worst possible rating in 2007 with 0 percent, while his lifetime rating is 22 percent. According to the Pig Book, Sen. Biden had 70 earmarks for a total of $119.7 million in fiscal year 2008, including $246,100 for the Grand Opera House in Wilmington.

• Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) received a score of 100* percent and has a lifetime rating of 88, has never requested nor received a single earmark, and has pledged to veto any spending bill that contains any earmarks.

Are you sure you guys want to go there????
Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #732
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Obamas side needs to be careful if they start bringing up earmarks.

Obama, Biden's Son Linked by Earmarks

also

Pork in the Presidential Race
Posted on August 28, 2008 by Alexa Moutevelis

CCAGW’s 2007 Congressional Ratings came out yesterday and you may be wondering how the presidential nominees did.

• Sen. Barack Obama’s (D-Ill.) 2007 rating was 10 percent, making his lifetime score 18 percent. The 2008 Congressional Pig Book contained 53 earmarks worth $97.4 million for Sen. Obama, including $1,648,850 for the Shedd Aquarium.

• Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.) received the worst possible rating in 2007 with 0 percent, while his lifetime rating is 22 percent. According to the Pig Book, Sen. Biden had 70 earmarks for a total of $119.7 million in fiscal year 2008, including $246,100 for the Grand Opera House in Wilmington.

• Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) received a score of 100* percent and has a lifetime rating of 88, has never requested nor received a single earmark, and has pledged to veto any spending bill that contains any earmarks.

Are you sure you guys want to go there????
Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #733
Blue Crack Addict

Is Obama running on a "You will know their names those evil earmarkers!!!" platform?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #734
War Child

IN addition ......Governor Palin State of the Sate address from this year in Jan. Long before any thought of a VP nomination.

The Swine Line
Entries RSS | Comments RSS

Governor Sarah Palin Speaks Truth to Power
Posted on January 25, 2008 by Leslie Paige

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin delivered her State of the State on January 15, 2008 and I was intrigued by this excerpt:

"To cultivate timber and agriculture, we’re encouraging responsible, economic efforts to revitalize our once-robust industries. We can and must continue to develop our economy, because we cannot and must not rely so heavily on federal government earmarks. Instead, let us power up and produce for Alaska and America. We can do this – we’re 50 years old now, and it’s time!"

Compare that statement with the mantra of her state’s reps in Washington, D.C. who constantly rationalize their plunder of the U.S. Treasury and rapacity for earmarks by saying that Alaska is still a “new state,” with so many needs. This has been the mantra of Rep. Don Young (R) for years, even though the state has $38.9 billion in cash “in a coffee can,” as Young has described it, enough to distribute annual dividend checks to Alaskan residents. In 2007, that dividend was $1,600 per Alaskan.

So, Governor Palin gets it even though Don Young doesn’t.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #735
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Since you asked

Potomac Watch - WSJ.com
Care to respond to this article?

McCain had criticized earmarks from Palin - Los Angeles Times

I would say her actions speak louder than her words, but then even her words contradict her words:

From her convention speech:

Quote:
"I suspended the state fuel tax, and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress."
Just earlier this year, in a newspaper column:
Quote:
"The federal budget, in its various manifestations, is incredibly important to us, and congressional earmarks are one aspect of this relationship,"
Doesn't appear too reform minded when it comes to earmarks.

And then there's this convention speech nugget:
Quote:
"I told the Congress “thanks, but no thanks,” for that Bridge to Nowhere."
And yet: (from the Anchorage Daily News)
Quote:
In September, 2006, Palin showed up in Ketchikan on her gubernatorial campaign and said the bridge was essential for the town's prosperity.

She said she could feel the town's pain at being derided as a "nowhere" by prominent politicians, noting that her home town, Wasilla, had recently been insulted by the state Senate president, Ben Stevens.

"OK, you've got Valley trash standing here in the middle of nowhere," Palin said, according to an account in the Ketchikan Daily News. "I think we're going to make a good team as we progress that bridge project."