Republican Convention Thread - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #661
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Transcipt here:

He used the particular phrasing deep quoted (out of context) because that was what the interviewer had just said, verbatim.
I not going to bother to google
but, Clark was given an opportunity to revise or change his remarks

A better response would have been

"I don't think it is fair to describe McCain's experience as riding in a plane and getting shot down."

And McCain's service or mine does not alone make us qualified"
__________________

__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 AM   #662
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
I'm just going to show examples that I found on YouTube for it's too late to really search for all the quotes, but you have to know that McCain was attacked pretty hard by conservatives, unless you were asleep.

Here are two MINOR examples:

YouTube - Mitt Romney attack ad against John McCain - "Waltz"

YouTube - Giuliani Campaign on the Attack


And here's the bit on Palin.

How does she not know:

YouTube - Sarah Palin - What does a VP do anyway?

1st one. That is NOTHING like saying that a person in not ready to be President than flipping when you are asked to join the ticket. Policy vs. Competence. It was also misleading because it cut all of what was said.


2nd I saw nothing from Rudy. The Biden quote was directly from HIM. Nice try but not even close.


3. I dont see that as an unreasonable statement from someone who is not part of the Washington scene. She is a Governor dealing with her state. I'm prety confident most Americans dont know the day to day duties of a VP other than being 1st in line to the Oval Office


Nice try on the Video's but questioning policy is part of the process. Saying directly that Obama does not have the experience to be President is not questioning policy. He started a fact that he is now backing away from for the chance to be VP.
__________________

__________________
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 AM   #663
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I not going to bother to google
but, Clark was given an opportunity to revise or change his remarks

A better response would have been

"I don't think it is fair to describe McCain's experience as riding in a plane and getting shot down."

And McCain's service or mine does not alone make us qualified"
Why would he revise or change them, when, in the context of the interview/conversation, they made perfect sense?
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:07 AM   #664
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
1st one. That is NOTHING like saying that a person in not ready to be President than flipping when you are asked to join the ticket. Policy vs. Competence. It was also misleading because it cut all of what was said.


2nd I saw nothing from Rudy. The Biden quote was directly from HIM. Nice try but not even close.


3. I dont see that as an unreasonable statement from someone who is not part of the Washington scene. She is a Governor dealing with her state. I'm prety confident most Americans dont know the day to day duties of a VP other than being 1st in line to the Oval Office


Nice try on the Video's but questioning policy is part of the process. Saying directly that Obama does not have the experience to be President is not questioning policy. He started a fact that he is now backing away from for the chance to be VP.

Well actually there is a quote from Romney saying he isn't ready for office, and it's been posted in FYM and other places I just don't have the time to look it up, I'm about to go to sleep....

I can't see how anyone can accept that quote from Palin. First of all you would think someone in politics would have at least a high school understanding of federal politics. Secondly, if you're vetted you would think you would do a little research...
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #665
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 07:28 AM
These threads are a nightmare to catch up on.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 AM   #666
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Why would he revise or change them, when, in the context of the interview/conversation, they made perfect sense?

So if someone ask McCain if he thought being raised on foodstamps and snorting cocaine qualified Obama to be President?


He should have replied,

"I don't think being raised on foodstamps and snorting cocaine qualifies someone to be president." ?
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #667
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
So if someone ask McCain if he thought being raised on foodstamps and snorting cocaine qualified Obama to be President?


He should have replied,

"I don't think being raised on foodstamps and snorting cocaine qualifies someone to be president." ?
Why not? He wouldn't have been criticizing or judging Obama with a statement like that. It's the truth. I feel the same way about what Clark said.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 AM   #668
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Again from the context, it's obvious that Schieffer wasn't deriding McCain's experiences, either.

Sheesh.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 AM   #669
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Again from the context, it's obvious that Schieffer wasn't deriding McCain's experiences, either.

Sheesh.
That's the point I was trying to make. I don't think I was very clear
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:02 AM   #670
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Again from the context, it's obvious that Schieffer wasn't deriding McCain's experiences, either.

Sheesh.
Are you assuming the example I gave was deriding Obama's life experience?
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 AM   #671
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Maybe you should give me a link to the context in which it was used? I sure wouldn't want to arrive at any erroneous conclusions by not doing a little sourcing to get credible information, or relying on Stewart and Colbert writers or '100% true' emails from a friend.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 AM   #672
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
These threads are a nightmare to catch up on.
QFT

I just read 25+ pages
__________________
Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #673
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,471
Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
But the guy that is after that office is 72 years old and has several known serious health issues. The reason why Palin's qualifications for president are important comes down to three words:

HE COULD DIE.

I think you knew that.
the whole mccain could die argument is a little unseemly to me. yes, mccain could die. bush could die. obama could die. palin could die. biden could die. i could die. you could die. everybody could die die.

that's what human's do. they live, and then they die. mccain obviously has some very good genes, as his mother is in great shape in her mid 90's. he obviously has and will continue to have the best medical attention in the world. and in today's world for a man to live well into his 80's is not out of the ordinary.

this whole "he could die" argument against palin is kinda ridiculous. if one were to consistantly use the "well there are a lot of racist nutjobs in this country who could shoot obama" argument, they'd be ridiculed for at worst being a bigot and at best having poor taste, even though there is some truth to it.

yes, mccain could die. he could also live to be 102. but the odds of him, or any president for that matter, dying in office is not good. 8 presidents have died in office... 4 of them died of natural causes, 4 of them were assasinated. so from a historical perspective the odds of a president dying from health complications are no greater than the odds of a president dying from assasination, and the odds of either happening is at best a bit less than 20%, and considering that only 2 presidents have died in office in the past 70 years, probably closer to 10%.

frankly... the entire "he could die" argument is without taste, and if you're going to apply it to one nominee, you should equally apply it to the other.

and if that's your argument... that if both presidents were to die that you'd trust biden more than palin, then fine. that's valid. but please let's stop with this "he's old, he could die" line. anyone could die, and both nominees are likely to live throughout their terms.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #674
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,543
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
the whole mccain could die argument is a little unseemly to me. yes, mccain could die. bush could die. obama could die. palin could die. biden could die. i could die. you could die. everybody could die die.

that's what human's do. they live, and then they die. mccain obviously has some very good genes, as his mother is in great shape in her mid 90's.
Has he? I thought that his father and grandparents died in their early 60's. So while it may be possible (the good genes), it's not a sure thing.

Quote:
he obviously has and will continue to have the best medical attention in the world. and in today's world for a man to live well into his 80's is not out of the ordinary.
True, but the average life expectancy is somewhere in the 70's. Add to that that McCain has been treated for cancer 4 times, so there is a health risk.

Quote:
yes, mccain could die. he could also live to be 102. but the odds of him, or any president for that matter, dying in office is not good. 8 presidents have died in office... 4 of them died of natural causes, 4 of them were assasinated. so from a historical perspective the odds of a president dying from health complications are no greater than the odds of a president dying from assasination, and the odds of either happening is at best a bit less than 20%, and considering that only 2 presidents have died in office in the past 70 years, probably closer to 10%.
But McCain will be (one of the) oldest to take the office, so I'd put the odds higher.

Quote:
frankly... the entire "he could die" argument is without taste, and if you're going to apply it to one nominee, you should equally apply it to the other.

and if that's your argument... that if both presidents were to die that you'd trust biden more than palin, then fine. that's valid. but please let's stop with this "he's old, he could die" line. anyone could die, and both nominees are likely to live throughout their terms.
I think that's the main argument, it certainly is mine. Obama could die too and then I trust Biden more than Palin (in experience and policies). Do you trust someone, who needed extra help to run a town of 9,000, to run the most powerful democracy in the world?
__________________
Popmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #675
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post

I think that's the main argument, it certainly is mine. Obama could die too and then I trust Biden more than Palin (in experience and policies). Do you trust someone, who needed extra help to run a town of 9,000, to run the most powerful democracy in the world?
A town of 9000....how very Obama of you. Again neglecting her work as the Governor of Alaska. Lets continue to pretend that McCain pulled her out of a tiny town's Mayoral office so we can ignore her accomplishments in Juneau. I guess you have to since she has done more in 2 years as a Governor than Obama has done in his political career.

I trust her more than Obama or Biden.

It seems that the you on the left want to keep making this argument because their guys don't measure up to John McCain. Lets keep playing up his age and the issue of mortality so we can avoid addressing McCain's experience and accomplishments and why his is the best choice to run this country.

keep trying
__________________

__________________
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com