Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
she's not after that office.

detecting hostility here.

<>

but the number 1 job description to be a VP is to be able to assume the presidency should the president become incapacitated.

are you saying John McCain showed poor judgment when he selected her?

But the guy that is after that office is 72 years old and has several known serious health issues. The reason why Palin's qualifications for president are important comes down to three words:

HE COULD DIE.

I think you knew that.

I have asked people what they think the odds of McCain lasting 4 years are?

I think it is at least 90%

Look at his mother.

What do you think the odds are?

His own running mate does not think he has the experience to be President. I guess running a campaign really does give you the experience....at least according to Biden. Flip-flopping for his own personal gain! Just the kind of guy I want leading our country!

but by picking Palin,

McCain has told everyone that experience doesn't matter at all.

Look at his mother.

this from someone who put forth the idea that we shouldn't elect Obama because he's black and more likely to be assassinated and the country shouldn't have to go through that (how selfish of him) and so we should vote white?

And Obama took a trip to Europe last month! Woo Hoo! I guess that makes him an expert on foreign affairs.

McCain blows away Obama's experience and knowledge. Its not hard with his O's blank resume. McCain knows the foreign policy and Palin can address the domestic issues like energy. An area of such success is in AK where she was able to give money back, YES BACK, to the people of AK due to her policies and success. O's talks a good game but it is just talk. McCain and Palin have proven records. Proof of success. Not baseless promises.

No one said Obama is an expert, but Palin hasn't shown any INTEREST in foreign affairs. And why would we want Palin to address energy? Wonder where her interest lie?

McCain's foreign affairs resume is extensive, but extremely inconsistent, and right now he comes off as someone who is far too willing to invade without consideration...

this from someone who put forth the idea that we shouldn't elect Obama because he's black and more likely to be assassinated and the country shouldn't have to go through that (how selfish of him) and so we should vote white?

i believe I wrote that
in response to an equally silly post

His own running mate does not think he has the experience to be President. I guess running a campaign really does give you the experience....at least according to Biden.

Apparently you haven't seen all the quotes of McCain's primary opponents that now stood on stage and endorsed him, or the quotes from Palin not knowing what the role of the VP was...

Let alone the fact that Bush did everything to destroy him...

No one said Obama is an expert, but Palin hasn't shown any INTEREST in foreign affairs. And why would we want Palin to address energy? Wonder where her interest lie?

McCain's foreign affairs resume is extensive, but extremely inconsistent, and right now he comes off as someone who is far too willing to invade without consideration...

Are you questioning Palin integrity regarding energy? A person who took on her own party for that very reason. She has stood up to corruption. I dont see how you can question that with her record.

What is your proof of his being, "willing to invade without consideration?

What about opposed to O's willingness to talk to terrorists without precondition?

Look at his mother.

Interesting. Was his mother subjected to torture*, mistreatment & malnutrition for several years, all while confined to a small prison cell? Does his mother have a history of recurring cancer?

*Up for debate under the Bush administration

Are you questioning Palin integrity regarding energy? A person who took on her own party for that very reason. She has stood up to corruption. I dont see how you can question that with her record.

Ahem.

Originally posted by me
So was Palin's initial backing of the Bridge to Nowhere evidence of her success and standing up to corruption? Or her hiring of a lobbyist to travel with her to Washington to secure over $27 million in earmarks for a town with a population of 9,000? Or how about how in her 2 years as governor she has requested the largest per-capita special federal spending budget in the nation? (party of limited government??)

The largest per capita requested special federal funding out of any state in the nation? For Alaska? $750 million in extra federal spending for a state that has a population of 600,000? You see nothing wrong with that in the party of limited government & fiscal responsibility?

I also like how you ignore that she was for the Bridge to Nowhere until it became the subject of national ridicule.

Interesting. Was his mother subjected to torture*, mistreatment & malnutrition for several years, all while confined to a small prison cell?
*Up for debate under the Bush administration

don't be idiotic

all he did was

ride in a plane that got shot down*

*( there is nothing nonfactual in that statement)

What is your proof of his being, "willing to invade without consideration?

What about opposed to O's willingness to talk to terrorists without precondition?

Palin's state benefits from oil, they need oil, how is she going to be open to alternative energy? She's done everything she can to silence the opposition to drilling in Alaska.

Have you heard McCain talk about Iran and Russia lately? Our military is beyond stretched and he's talking offensively... He wouldn't have a clue on how to implore diplomacy.

"Talk to terrorist without precondition", this is such a bullshit right wing spin... I won't even address it. Do some research, even some of your own party's talking heads spoke out against this calling it bullshit. Look at Reagan did. It's ashame that dick/gun waving has now been equated with flag waving...

it is so past my bedtime.

Ditto.

duty_calls.png

:)

No I'm not. And if Wesley Clark made remarks that amounted to "well all he did was get shot down" then I don't agree with them or any defense of them, especially when we're talking about how those events may impact his health.

Perhaps you could enlighten me on the "correct" version of the Bridge story then?

It is a little pointless

to expect posters in this forum
to actually do a little sourcing to get credible information

it seems like John Stewart and Colbert comedies writers are the gold standard

or an email from a friend, that said it was 100 % true.

And if Wesley Clark made remarks that amounted to "well all he did was get shot down" then I don't agree with them or any defense of them, especially when we're talking about how those events may impact his health.
Transcipt here:
[CBS' Clark] SCHIEFFER: Well, you -- you went so far as to say that you thought John McCain was, quote -- and these are your words -- "untested and untried." And I must say, I had to read that twice, because you're talking about somebody who was a prisoner of war. He was a squadron commander of the largest squadron in the Navy. He's been on the Senate Armed Services Committee for lo these many years -- how can you say that John McCain is untested and untried, General?

CLARK: Because in the matters of national security policy-making, it's a matter of understanding risk. It's a matter of gauging your opponents, and it's a matter of being held accountable. John McCain's never done any of that in his official positions. I certainly honor his service as a prisoner of war. He was a hero to me and to hundreds of thousands of millions of others in the Armed Forces as a prisoner of war. He has been a voice on the Senate Armed Services Committee, and he has traveled all over the world. But he hasn't held executive responsibility. That large squadron in the Air -- in the Navy that he commanded, it wasn't a wartime squadron. He hasn't been there and ordered the bombs to fall. He hasn't seen what it's like when diplomats come in and say, "I don't know whether we're going to be able to get this point through or not. Do you want to take the risk? What about your reputation? How do we handle it" --

SCHIEFFER: Well --

CLARK: -- "publicly?" He hasn't made those calls, Bob.

SCHIEFFER: Well -- well, General, maybe he --

CLARK: So --

SCHIEFFER: Could I just interrupt you? If --

CLARK: Sure.

SCHIEFFER: I have to say, Barack Obama has not had any of those experiences either, nor has he ridden in a fighter plane and gotten shot down. I mean --

CLARK: Well, I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president.

SCHIEFFER: Really?

CLARK: But Barack is not -- he is not running on the fact that he has made these national security pronouncements. He's running on his other strengths. He's running on the strengths of character, on the strengths of his communication skills, on the strengths of his judgment -- and those are qualities that we seek in our national leadership.
He used the particular phrasing deep quoted (out of context) because that was what the interviewer had just said, verbatim.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom