Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

it's Republican, but not obnoxious and nasty and sarcastic like last night.

it's a little dull, but inoffensive. he's saying things that reasonable people can disagree on, not mocking community organizers and pimping out a DS baby as proof of authenticity.

now he's talking about people who have been left behind?

it's like he's totally alone in his own party.

which is probably a good thing, i guess.

it's Republican, but not obnoxious and nasty and sarcastic like last night.

it's a little dull, but inoffensive. he's saying things that reasonable people can disagree on, not mocking community organizers and pimping out a DS baby as proof of authenticity.

Gotcha. I can definitely agree with you. Do you think this could win over Independents? I'm sure some will go for him after this speech (duh, Independents obviously vote for both parties), but I can't really see a huge number jumping on the bandwagon, especially after the way he's run his campaign.

Gotcha. I can definitely agree with you. Do you think this could win over Independents? I'm sure some will go for him after this speech (duh, Independents obviously vote for both parties), but I can't really see a huge number jumping on the bandwagon, especially after the way he's run his campaign.

i don't know. i'm honestly confused by this.

will the base turn out for Palin, and the independents for McCain?

i think that's the gamble.

but this crowd seems pretty bored. and it's same old same old Republican stuff, "parents vs. teacher's unions."

i think we all can agree that using the republican party to get nominated, then turning around and giving them the giant middle finger isn't a bad thing.

and i have to say that "i hate war" part of the speach will be repeated over and over and over again.

True. I would love nothing more than to see the Republican party in its current state gone, but he can't really be too much of a "maverick" if he's only using certain rhetoric to get nominated and then turning around to bite the hands that feed him, so to speak. The end can't always justify the means. And he can't hate war too much, if he's willing to stay in the quagmire of Iraq 100 years and "bomb bomb Iran".

if i had to venture a guess i would say that the majority of americans who do not consider themselves one party or the other don't start closely paying attention to the election until the conventions.

i think that's the gamble.

but this crowd seems pretty bored. and it's same old same old Republican stuff, "parents vs. teacher's unions."

The base will turn out for the Republicans like they always do. I don't think the Independents really will. If he'd been the John McCain he used to be for this entire campaign, I think they absolutely would. But, he can't pander blatantly to the far right wing of his party like he has for this entire campaign process and then try to convince us that he's not politics as usual.

He's an awful speaker but it is a pretty good speech in terms of content, I think.

I don't think this will change anybody's mind, but if he had kept this tone throughout the campaign as opposed to questioning Obama's service, patriotism and so on, he would have attracted a lot more independents in those crucial states.

One thing is for sure - everything that is reasonable and likeable about him today is in sharp contrast with the meanness, smugness and plain out unlikeability of Palin last night. I bet anything that the harsh focus group results about her would be absent tonight.

I honestly think that's the plan. Palin's purpose is to get the Christian right on board.

Is everyone in here drinking the Obama Kool-Aid? Sounds like just a bunch of bitter people on the left that are not hearing anything that is being said. Be it a hatred of Bush or the right, or conservative values, it seem there is noting that can be said to please you. I'm sure you all think that running a campaign for President is more executive experience than being a Governor running a state..... that is if you are will to acknowledge Palin is a Governor and not just a mayor of a town of 9000 which is all the Obama campaign seems to speak of.

At least you will have 4 more years to keep spewing the same lefty bitterness and complaints as McCain and Palin run this country.

why is a man like this running a campaign like that? and why did he choose a VP like that?

this is a generally subpar speech. it really is. uninspired, laundry-list-y, etc.

but it makes me like him. because it seems totally sincere. and totally the opposite of the vile campaign he's run so far.

The Republicans seem to have suffered badly from those bad union teachers. I have seen signs that are an abomination to the English language:

veteran's -4- McCain

AND

the mavrick

UGH!

why is a man like this running a campaign like that? and why did he choose a VP like that?

this is a generally subpar speech. it really is. uninspired, laundry-list-y, etc.

but it makes me like him. because it seems totally sincere. and totally the opposite of the vile campaign he's run so far.

It makes me more cynical about him than I already was.

Is everyone in here drinking the Obama Kool-Aid? Sounds like just a bunch of bitter people on the left that are not hearing anything that is being said. .

What are you talking about? The Obama supporters are speaking generally favorably about McCain's speech.

The Republicans seem to have suffered badly from those bad union teachers. I have seen signs that are an abomination to the English language:

veteran's -4- McCain

AND

the mavrick

UGH!

:lol: I was going to point those out in this post, but I didn't think anyone else caught it!!!

Is everyone in here drinking the Obama Kool-Aid? Sounds like just a bunch of bitter people on the left that are not hearing anything that is being said. Be it a hatred of Bush or the right, or conservative values, it seem there is noting that can be said to please you. I'm sure you all think that running a campaign for President is more executive experience than being a Governor running a state..... that is if you are will to acknowledge Palin is a Governor and not just a mayor of a town of 9000 which is all the Obama campaign seems to speak of.

At least you will have 4 more years to keep spewing the same lefty bitterness and complaints as McCain and Palin run this country.

You're looking for a conservative majority at a U2 forum? Really?

veteran's -4- McCain

AND

the mavrick

UGH!

phpj22p8tpmta8.jpg

I'm sure you all think that running a campaign for President is more executive experience than being a Governor running a state..... that is if you are will to acknowledge Palin is a Governor and not just a mayor of a town of 9000 which is all the Obama campaign seems to speak of.

I guess Palin has more executive experience than McCain then as well, eh?

What are you talking about? The Obama supporters are speaking generally favorably about McCain's speech.

yeah, but that complicates the simplistic narrative given to him by right wing blogs. in order to hold some beliefs, he cannot have his assumptions about others complicated because then the whole house of cards falls down and he looks and feels foolish.

so, tax and spend, tax and spend, tax and spend ....

Back
Top Bottom