Republican Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what you were looking at but watching the convention tonight I saw the total bashing of Obama and the endless hyping of McCain and Palin and the shameless partisanship of the Republican convention. It goes both ways, they're conventions.

QFT

This Congress IS useless, something I keep pointing out to deep to no avail. He has great hope in them that comes from I'm not sure where.

But every thinking person knows that it is Bush and the Republicans that have been in charge for almost this entire millenium and are responsible for the state of affairs the country is in. I love how Romney tried to paint Washington as liberal - that damn librul Dick Cheney has got to be booted.

Obama bashing was way worse than the Bush bashing!

Obama is a media darling and has been treated exceptionally well since he began his campaign, sometimes even to the point where the "media" is openly rooting for him. A few jabs by the Republicans really aren't a big deal. Do you honestly thing that Obama is bashed more than Bush has been bashed in this election season?

At GOP convention, context and facts go missing from
message of the day
By JIM KUHNHENN , Associated Press
September 3, 2008
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and her Republican supporters held back little
Wednesday as they issued dismissive attacks on Barack Obama and flattering praise on
her credentials to be vice president. In some cases, the reproach and the praise
stretched the truth.
Some examples:
PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed
reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks
but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."
THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington
annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as
governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the
largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a
$398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that
opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."
PALIN: "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak,
it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major
law or reform — not even in the state senate."
THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does
have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that
expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to
help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To
demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen.
Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he
was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by
police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also
successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.
PALIN: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes,
raise payroll taxes, raise investment income taxes, raise the death tax, raise business
taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of
dollars."

THE FACTS: The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution
and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's plan would increase after-tax income for
middle-income taxpayers by about 5 percent by 2012, or nearly $2,200 annually.
McCain's plan, which cuts taxes across all income levels, would raise after tax-income for
middle-income taxpayers by 3 percent, the center concluded.
Obama would provide $80 billion in tax breaks, mainly for poor workers and the elderly,
including tripling the Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher
credits for larger families.
He also would raise income taxes, capital gains and dividend taxes on the wealthiest. He
would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise
corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year would see
taxes rise.
MCCAIN: "She's been governor of our largest state, in charge of 20 percent of America's
energy supply ... She's responsible for 20 percent of the nation's energy supply. I'm
entertained by the comparison and I hope we can keep making that comparison that
running a political campaign is somehow comparable to being the executive of the largest
state in America," he said in an interview with ABC News' Charles Gibson.
THE FACTS: McCain's phrasing exaggerates both claims. Palin is governor of a state
that ranks second nationally in crude oil production, but she's no more "responsible" for
that resource than President Bush was when he was governor of Texas, another
oil-producing state. In fact, her primary power is the ability to tax oil, which she did in
concert with the Alaska Legislature. And where Alaska is the largest state in America,
McCain could as easily have called it the 47th largest state — by population.
MCCAIN: "She's the commander of the Alaska National Guard. ... She has been in
charge, and she has had national security as one of her primary responsibilities," he said
on ABC.
THE FACTS: While governors are in charge of their state guard units, that authority ends
whenever those units are called to actual military service. When guard units are deployed
to Iraq or Afghanistan, for example, they assume those duties under "federal status,"
which means they report to the Defense Department, not their governors. Alaska's
national guard units have a total of about 4,200 personnel, among the smallest of state
guard organizations.
FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor
of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."
THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in
her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the
Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia
where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY: "We need change, all right —
change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription
for every American who wants change in Washington — throw out the big-government
liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin."
THE FACTS: A Back-to-the-Future moment. George W. Bush, a conservative
Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. And until last year, Republicans
controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of
the House and Senate.

At GOP convention, context and facts go missing from message of the day

It's hard to do anything when the president vetoes much of your most needed legislation. They get on congress for not keeping the promises they made about what they were going to do after they gained control, with regards to ending the war. But the way they were going to end the war was to set a timetable and possibly cut funding. Bush vetoed this legislation, and congress doesn't have a 2/3 majority to override vetoes. Here's the irony: if they had passed that legislation, hence "doing something", they'd be attacked right now for trying to end the war before "victory" could be reached.

To clarify, I am not crazy about Reid or Pelosi. Reid and Pelosi strike me as lightweights. I wish the Democrats had different leadership in congress.

This kind of backlash, and Gov. Palin didn't even trot out her positions on social issues?

Ouch. (it could be worse for Palin here, i suppose, maybe a little)

And the entire country minus 12% hate the democrat controlled congress...the "do nothing" congress definitely hasn't helped Obama's chances with independents.

then why are the Democrats favored to gain even more seats in the House and approach 60 seats in the Senate?

So let me get this straight. You guys think nothing in this convention will be appealing to independents, but the total bashing of President Bush and the endless hyping of Obama and the shameless partisanship of the Democratic convention IS appealing to independents? :scratch:

I expect nothing less from FYM.

I honestly think you and Harry have to be some of the most out of touch posters I've seen in a long time, you've both spent too much time in the extremes. Independents are not going to be drawn to this ticket just because she's a woman. McCain has done everything he can to repeal everything "maverick" about him so that he can appeal to the right, this pick was no exception. Independents are the first to see through this crap...

This kind of backlash, and Gov. Palin didn't even trot out her positions on social issues?

Ouch. (it could be worse for Palin here, i suppose, maybe a little)

what's nice is it will be very, very easy to discredit her without getting into her forced pregnancy, jesus-on-dinosaurs social issues.

she's going to get slammed on earmarks. on being for the bridge to nowhere before being against it.

that's all good stuff. it's facts, not family. they'll try to blunt this by screaming sexism, but it's hard to get around the fact that her record contradicts her speech.

what's nice is it will be very, very easy to discredit her without getting into her forced pregnancy, jesus-on-dinosaurs social issues.

she's going to get slammed on earmarks. on being for the bridge to nowhere before being against it.

that's all good stuff. it's facts, not family. they'll try to blunt this by screaming sexism, but it's hard to get around the fact that her record contradicts her speech.

Eh, after her successful speech, it gets back to the top of the ticket. It's not Obama vs. Bush, or Obama vs. Palin, as I've heard on TV the past few days.

The focus will be back to the top.

Eh, after her successful speech, it gets back to the top of the ticket. It's not Obama vs. Bush, or Obama vs. Palin, as I've heard on TV the past few days.

The focus will be back to the top.

Go back to the top. We'll question McCain's judgement for picking her.

after that speech, the debate is over.

<>

really?

that speech was way, way too negative to win over any of the HRC diehards.

she helped to shore up the base. she attacked. she in no way made any case for herself as being prepared to be president.

she confirmed what i had said the first day, and what has been whispered even by the right wing: she's a gimmick candidate.

Back
Top Bottom