Reporter and Cameraman Murdered on Live TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bluer White is right. Chicago and Baltimore are descending into daily black on black violence not seen in decades. And we don't get the same outcry from the gun-control merchants and #blacklivesmatter.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

What? What are you even talking about? It's all anyone in Baktimore (or DC) is taking about this summer -- the uptick in violence (even though crime is still at historic lows).

The big issue in DC has been the loosening of our once stringent anti-gun laws by the gun nuts, the ease of getting guns in VA, the removal of vice squads, and massive retirements in the MPD. All this combined with the rise of the synthetic drug trade, like K2.

But the issue is still one of guns, guns, guns. Too many guns. Small beefs become deadly simply because someone has a gun.

What amazes me about conservative thought is the creation of these so-called narratives where they make sweeping statements like "BUT NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT THIS BECAUSE MAINSTREAM MEDIA." It's like, what? What planet are you on?

And I don't have the energy to even touch on the problematic "black on black" violence comment.

Last edited:
But the issue is still one of guns, guns, guns. Too many guns. Small beefs become deadly simply because someone has a gun.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9217163/america-guns-europe

Excellent point. I read this Vox article the other day that goes into research about why America has such high rates of gun deaths. Not surprisingly, we don't have higher rates of crime, we have a higher rate of gun deaths because we have more guns and guns tend to escalate situations.

"People with guns don't understand. That's why they get guns. Too many misunderstandings!"- Jerry Seinfeld

It's also worth noting that much of the guns that have been traced after being used to commit crimes in Chicago come from places that have lenient gun control laws, such as Indiana.

And people use that as an excuse as to why we shouldn't bother doing anything. It's either:

A) They'll just get the guns somewhere else (in this case: Indiana)

or

B) If Chicago has the strictest gun control laws, then clearly gun control doesn't work (in this case: ignore that Indiana is only 20 minutes away)

The ENTIRE STATE of Maine has fewer homicides than Chicago!! :der: Must be all them guns protectin' em!! :der:

Bluer White is right. Chicago and Baltimore are descending into daily black on black violence not seen in decades. And we don't get the same outcry from the gun-control merchants and #blacklivesmatter.

Fox News narrative, but like 99% of their narratives, factual incorrect.

Well, I'm nominally familiar with Mr. Flanagan's employment record, and very familiar with the manifesto fax he sent out explaining his act.

did he murder these two people on the basis of their ethnicity or sexual orientation and thusly send a signal to other members of these groups that they were under attack?

certainly, his long list of grievances had racial and sexual components, and he seemed particularly upset by the Charleston shooting (he legally purchased a gun 2 days afterwards). but it's this complexity, combined with his work-related complaints, that make this a classic workplace shooting perpetrated by a delusional individual who lives in a state that enables easy access to deadly weapons. he hated his co-workers, he hated what he perceived as slights on the basis of his race and sexual orientation. but he did not kill the two simply because they were 1) white, and 2) straight. very different than the Charleston shooting.

i have some intellectual issues with hate crimes in general, but there's a pretty clear standard when it comes to their defintion.

Prior to their "gun ban," did every Australian feel entitled to their own personal armory purely because of where they were born? Because that might have contributed to the ease of their buyback.

what terms would you describe the steps the UK and Australia took in the wake of Dunblane and Port Arthur?

Mandatory buybacks or the equivalent for semi-automatics and banning their bullets would be a tough sell in America.

Not anything close to incremental change.

i have some intellectual issues with hate crimes in general, but there's a pretty clear standard when it comes to their definition.

Obviously I have a few issues with the concept as well, and just disagree with your take on this particular incident.

Mandatory buybacks or the equivalent for semi-automatics and banning their bullets would be a tough sell in America.

Where does it specifically state that you get free range to what weapons you can purchase? It just says 'Bear arms". You can buy a weapon, you can bear an arm. A buyback for semi-automatics really shouldn't be that difficult. But of course, the NRA Washington will dig its heels in and prevent what it seems a great many people of this "Republic" want.

I think it would be a tough sell as well. We're talking about a country where 85% of the country wants more gun control, but politicians are too fearful of the NRA to do much of anything. If a classroom full of first graders mangled by semi-automatic weapons doesn't move our politicians to action, what will?

That said, it was clearly successful in two relatively culturally similar countries they have a fraction of our gun violence. Might it be a good idea?

Where does it specifically state that you get free range to what weapons you can purchase? It just says 'Bear arms". You can buy a weapon, you can bear an arm. A buyback for semi-automatics really shouldn't be that difficult. But of course, the NRA Washington will dig its heels in and prevent what it seems a great many people of this "Republic" want.

Really, we have to look at the history of the NRA and its leadership change in 1977 -- that was when the language around guns began to change and the notion of any gun, any time, any person, "from my cold, dead hands" as some sort of inalienable right came into vogue, and it gained steam during the Reagan years. Before that, the NRA was, ironically, focused on gun training and gun safety. Now, it's focused on the exact opposite -- gun sales, and whipping up nativist fear in order to do so.

It would be that difficult though. And unrealistic.

I think it would be a tough sell as well. We're talking about a country where 85% of the country wants more gun control, but politicians are too fearful of the NRA to do much of anything. If a classroom full of first graders mangled by semi-automatic weapons doesn't move our politicians to action, what will?

That said, it was clearly successful in two relatively culturally similar countries they have a fraction of our gun violence. Might it be a good idea?

85% in the United States? Bull crap. You're off by over 30%. Heck, not even 80% of democrats support more gun control.
I'd like to see your source on that polling data.

85% in the United States? Bull crap. You're off by over 30%. Heck, not even 80% of democrats support more gun control.
I'd like to see your source on that polling data.

It's commonly understood that post Sandy Hook, around 80% of the country wanted stricter gun control. A bill was ready to go, and it didn't pass Congress. It would have, if I understand right, strengthened background check enforcement online and at gun shows, the one form of gun control enforcement overwhelmingly supported on both sides.

It's not just my take, it's the legal definition. But what causes you to view this as a hate crime?

Of course I've read the legal definition and several interpretations of it, including yours here. Not going to argue any further about a label. Not going to bring anyone back.

It's commonly understood that post Sandy Hook, around 80% of the country wanted stricter gun control. A bill was ready to go, and it didn't pass Congress. It would have, if I understand right, strengthened background check enforcement online and at gun shows, the one form of gun control enforcement overwhelmingly supported on both sides.

The recent polls I've checked from this month are around 52% of the nation. 77% of democrats, 48% of independents, and 31% of republicans. In fact, since January of 2013, it's been pretty consistently around 50%.

I think 52% places us firmly in the region of "we need to have a serious talk about this situation and not just ignore it because gun lobby."

I'm part of the percentage of the country looking for a little more gun common sense, and/or more spirited enforcement of existing laws. Don't really care about manufactured polling percentages.

85%, 52%. Whatever. I see a lot of non-starters in the thread here.

No wonder there's a stalemate in Congress.

I read recently of proposal that would allow family members to put a hold on a family member to make a gun purchase if they were fearful of violence. Can't find a link to it right now.

That seems reasonable to me.

I'm part of the percentage of the country looking for a little more gun common sense, and/or more spirited enforcement of existing laws. Don't really care about manufactured polling percentages.

85%, 52%. Whatever. I see a lot of non-starters in the thread here.

No wonder there's a stalemate in Congress.

There are lots of good ideas and solutions that have been implemented in other countries, as well as broad bipartisan support to do something.

The stalemate is almost entirely due to political fear and the big money behind the NRA.

The recent polls I've checked from this month are around 52% of the nation. 77% of democrats, 48% of independents, and 31% of republicans. In fact, since January of 2013, it's been pretty consistently around 50%.

It all depends on the poll, the wording of the poll, and where it's being conducted.

If you equate "gun control" with confiscation then yeah your understanding of the polls is probably correct. If you understand gun control as better background checks and the removal of loop holes then the 80+% is correct.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom