Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I know you're joking, but if you said "blacks, Mexicans, and Muslims" you'd have a pretty good representation of the visual language used by pro-gun groups on Facebook.
This is spot-on. For all the machismo rhetoric in American ideology, we really are a culture dominated by fear. I'd say fear, or even paranoia, are at the core of the gun problem: this idea that some type of unfamiliar evil is constantly lurking around the corner.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:46 AM
'Dominated by Fear' sounds like a Muse song

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 08-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
this thread has branched out a bit and looking at that Wash Post graphic, we certainly don't want to start a new thread for each incident

so I thought I would drop this here

Texas sheriff’s deputy ambushed in ‘execution-style killing’ at gas station - The Washington Post

this one will move the social media traffic for awhile

the spot moved

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...tation-n418131
Old 08-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #139
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I want to support the troops and also the second amendment in case I ever need to kill the troops.

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/it...endment-c-1929

"The troops volunteered to protect our freedom, and for that they deserve our respect. Every day, they put their lives on the line to preserve your right to acquire a basement full of powerful weapons to use on them should worst come to worst. Do I approve of everything the military does? No, of course not. Will I lurk in the woods, ambushing patrols of soldiers if necessary? Of course I will. But even if I take up arms against the troops, I will stand behind them."

Old 08-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #140
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
This is spot-on. For all the machismo rhetoric in American ideology, we really are a culture dominated by fear. I'd say fear, or even paranoia, are at the core of the gun problem: this idea that some type of unfamiliar evil is constantly lurking around the corner.

http://www.thenation.com/article/kat...dden-race-war/

It was 10 years ago this week that armed vigilantes shot and killed at black people in the aftermath of Katrina. They were scared they would loot their homes, so they organized a militia and shot at any black person walking around. Gun culture+fear of the other=violence

"Some of the gunmen prowling Algiers Point were out to wage a race war, says one woman whose uncle and two cousins joined the cause. A former New Orleanian, this source spoke to me anonymously because she fears her relatives could be prosecuted for their crimes. "My uncle was very excited that it was a free-for-all–white against black–that he could participate in," says the woman. "For him, the opportunity to hunt black people was a joy."

"They didn’t want any of the ‘ghetto niggers’ coming over" from the east side of the river, she says, adding that her relatives viewed African-Americans who wandered into Algiers Point as "fair game." One of her cousins, a young man in his 20s, sent an e-mail to her and several other family members describing his adventures with the militia. He had attached a photo in which he posed next to an African-American man who’d been fatally shot. The tone of the e-mail, she says, was "gleeful"–her cousin was happy that "they were shooting niggers.""

Old 08-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #141
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
Katrina’s Hidden Race War | The Nation

It was 10 years ago this week that armed vigilantes shot and killed at black people in the aftermath of Katrina. They were scared they would loot their homes, so they organized a militia and shot at any black person walking around. Gun culture+fear of the other=violence

"Some of the gunmen prowling Algiers Point were out to wage a race war, says one woman whose uncle and two cousins joined the cause. A former New Orleanian, this source spoke to me anonymously because she fears her relatives could be prosecuted for their crimes. "My uncle was very excited that it was a free-for-all–white against black–that he could participate in," says the woman. "For him, the opportunity to hunt black people was a joy."

"They didn’t want any of the ‘ghetto niggers’ coming over" from the east side of the river, she says, adding that her relatives viewed African-Americans who wandered into Algiers Point as "fair game." One of her cousins, a young man in his 20s, sent an e-mail to her and several other family members describing his adventures with the militia. He had attached a photo in which he posed next to an African-American man who’d been fatally shot. The tone of the e-mail, she says, was "gleeful"–her cousin was happy that "they were shooting niggers.""

I do wonder if the murder of the two TV folks by a troubled black homosexual while shooting live video and live tweeting it should be considered a hate crime.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #142
Refugee

Nbelcik, kindly post some of thenation's stories about safety in Baltimore in the last twelve months, and inner-city Chicago, etc, etc.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #143
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan
But hold on guys, Pac Mule wants to have some guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
But what ?

Philsfan, I'd like to hear your plan for Pac's guns. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #144
Refugee

Quote:
I do wonder if the murder of the two TV folks by a troubled black homosexual while shooting live video and live tweeting it should be considered a hate crime.

Considering that he was targeting people who he had personally been angry at, rather than targeting random people because of the race, religion, ethnicity, etc. no, it would not be considered a hate crime. Nice try though.

http://www.thenation.com/article/why-baltimore-burns/

And here's an article on Baltimore by the Nation. Turns out that when you establish an extremely lopsided distribution of resources through hundreds of years of violence leaving people with little to no hope of economic advancement, eliminate government programs that help inner city youth, ship jobs overseas, cut education funding, and basically neglect to help the inner city at all, crime and other social problems are the result. Who would've thought.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Bluer White is right. Chicago and Baltimore are descending into daily black on black violence not seen in decades. And we don't get the same outcry from the gun-control merchants and #blacklivesmatter.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #146
Refugee

Quote:

And here's an article on Baltimore by the Nation. Turns out that when you establish an extremely lopsided distribution of resources through hundreds of years of violence leaving people with little to no hope of economic advancement, eliminate government programs that help inner city youth, ship jobs overseas, cut education funding, and basically neglect to help the inner city at all, crime and other social problems are the result. Who would've thought.

Nbelcik, I did read the article you posted a few times over. Thanks for responding to my question about recent gun safety in Baltimore.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #147
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Bluer White is right. Chicago and Baltimore are descending into daily black on black violence not seen in decades. And we don't get the same outcry from the gun-control merchants and #blacklivesmatter.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/uncatego...hucks-gun-shop

http://www.ibtimes.com/spike-lee-cal...cusack-1976037

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...otherwise.html

Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #148
Refugee

Quote:
Nbelcik, I did read the article you posted a few times over. Thanks for responding to my question about recent gun safety in Baltimore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1440897462.025319.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	10445

Old 08-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #149
Refugee

Quote:
Considering that he was targeting people who he had personally been angry at, rather than targeting random people because of the race, religion, ethnicity, etc. no, it would not be considered a hate crime. Nice try though.
I'm aware of Mr. Flanagan's sorted work history.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:35 PM   #150
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Philsfan, I'd like to hear your plan for Pac's guns. Thanks.
I'd like to take his guns away but I still have to formulate a plan for stealing them. Pac Mule, what is your vacation schedule?