Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:55 PM
Religiously Sanctioned Paedophilia

Can't they just keep it on the down low like other religions
Quote:
Ten-year-old girls are ready for marriage, according to Saudi Arabia's most senior cleric.

Sheikh Abdul-Aziz Al Sheikh, the country's grand mufti, told Al Hayat newspaper that those saying ten or 12-year-old girls are too young to marry are being 'unfair' to them.

Al Sheikh's comments come at a time when Saudi human rights groups have been pushing the government to put an end to marriages involving the very young and to define a minimum age for marriage.

In the past few months, Saudi newspapers have highlighted several cases in which young girls were married off to much older men or very young boys.

Though the mufti's pronouncements are respected and provide guidance, the government is not legally bound by them.

On Sunday, the government-run Human Rights Commission condemned marriages of minor girls, saying such marriages are an 'inhumane violation' and rob children of their rights.

The commission's statement followed a ruling by a court in Oneiza in central Saudi Arabia last month that dismissed a divorce petition by the mother of an eight-year-old girl whose father married her off to a man in his 50s.

Newspaper reports said the court argued that the mother did not have the right to file such a case on behalf of her daughter and said that the petition should be filed by the girl when she reaches puberty.

Responding to a question about parents who force their underage daughters to marry, the mufti said: 'We hear a lot about the marriage of underage girls in the media, and we should know that Islamic law has not brought injustice to women.'

The mufti said a good upbringing will make a girl capable of carrying out her duties as a wife and that those who say women should not marry before the age of 25 are following a 'bad path'.

'Our mothers and before them, our grandmothers, married when they were barely 12,' said Al Sheikh, according to the Al-Hayat newpaper.

There are no statistics to show how many marriages involving children are performed in Saudi Arabia every year.

It is also not clear whether these unions are on the rise or whether people are hearing about them more now because of the prevalence of media outlets and easy access to the Internet.

Activists say the girls are given away in return for hefty dowries or as a result of long-standing custom in which a father promises his infant daughters and sons to cousins out of a belief that marriage will protect them from illicit relationships.
It's an injustice to NOT marry girls aged 10,' says Saudi cleric | Mail Online

Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:55 PM
It's a powerful culture and religion that can groom men of all ages into wanting to marry a girl as young as 8.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Didn't the Prophet Mohammed marry a 6 year old, and consummate the marriage when she was 9?

I guess that gives this sheikh a reason to believe it's OK to marry off little girls to men old enough to be their grandfathers
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:55 AM
There is no way to consider a 50 year old marrying an 8 year old and not view it as exploitation.

I mean, I know people in 'Western' cultures used to get married a lot younger but they were usually of similar age.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Yeah this is a bit of a stretch. I'm OK with a lot of non-Western marriage practices, mainly because I feel lucky to have the luxury of marrying for love/partnership reasons whereas for a lot of people it's an economic decision that grants security and even survival. But children THAT young? They should still be protected and taken care of by their parents.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
There is no way to consider a 50 year old marrying an 8 year old and not view it as exploitation.

I mean, I know people in 'Western' cultures used to get married a lot younger but they were usually of similar age.
While that may have been generally true, the western marriage thing. My great-great grand parents, who were from County Cork Ireland, did not marry until they were 21 and 22 years of age. My great grandfather born in Breckonshire, Whales, did not marry until he was 23. My grandfather, also of Irish extraction, married at age 30. My grandmother was 27. I married at age 26. My husband was 32. My mother was the youngest to marry, age 18, in our Irish/Scottish clans.

Perhaps, it is a gaelic custom, to be of adult mind, when pledging your self to another.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Generally I say love has no age, but this is ridiculous. These men are perverts, and the parents are idiots.

Parents should be protecting their kids, not marrying them off.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:55 AM
I wasn't ready to get married when I was 28, much less two decades earlier.

That poor child.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:55 PM
but they love each other, guys.

love knows no boundaries, guys.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Generally I say love has no age, but this is ridiculous. These men are perverts, and the parents are idiots.

Parents should be protecting their kids, not marrying them off.
I agree......any man who is "in love" with a ten year old girl is just as sick as they come. I have a five year old grand daughter and thank goodness, we don't live in Saudi Arabia. Cos, grandmom would be there with a baseball bat if some perve, tried to "love" her. Law or no law, it wouldn't happen.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Marriage has been between a man and a girl for thousands of years, you progressives are trying to rewrite the definition of marriage in Saudi Arabia.

It goes against the Islamic tradition, it undermines stable relationships, and would be giving girls special rights which they shouldn't get.

I'm shocked at the Islamophobia in this thread, whatever happened to COEXIST, and tolerance, and understanding; am I to believe that kiddy fiddling is one of those non-negotiable violations of human rights which simply should not be allowed?

/This post targets two things, firstly the idea of marriage being a universally traditional institution, which is partly true but doesn't justify discrimination against gay people. Secondly the rise of Islamophobia as a charge to deflect legitimate criticism of cultural and religious traditions that go against secularism, gender equality and freedom of religion; it is good to see that liberal posters are unapologetic in opposition, and obviously would recognise that condemnation alone is useless (without some positive action, such as promoting education and women's rights in a non-aggressive fashion).
Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Marriage has been between a man and a girl for thousands of years, you progressives are trying to rewrite the definition of marriage in Saudi Arabia.

It goes against the Islamic tradition, it undermines stable relationships, and would be giving girls special rights which they shouldn't get.

I'm shocked at the Islamophobia in this thread, whatever happened to COEXIST, and tolerance, and understanding; am I to believe that kiddy fiddling is one of those non-negotiable violations of human rights which simply should not be allowed?

/This post targets two things, firstly the idea of marriage being a universally traditional institution, which is partly true but doesn't justify discrimination against gay people. Secondly the rise of Islamophobia as a charge to deflect legitimate criticism of cultural and religious traditions that go against secularism, gender equality and freedom of religion; it is good to see that liberal posters are unapologetic in opposition, and obviously would recognise that condemnation alone is useless (without some positive action, such as promoting education and women's rights in a non-aggressive fashion).
Whatever. I've said it before and I'll say it again...fuckin Saudi's.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

That is reflexive intolerance.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:09 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Marriage at 8 does not necessarily equal sexual relations at 8.

Is it not possible that these MusliM men are marrying out of cultural norms as opposed to having paedophlic tendancies or trying to justify them?
Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 AM   #15
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:55 AM
True, it's much closer to being normative behavior in their culture than ours, which may make classifying it as 'pathological' problematic; nevertheless, arranged marriage at very young ages is a guaranteed obstacle to most any degree of meaningful social advancement for women. It may well be that such marriages aren't usually consummated and the girl moved into the husband's house until she reaches puberty; that's usually the way it works in India, where child marriages (though illegal there) occasionally still happen in rural areas, but I wouldn't know about traditional Saudi customs.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote