Religion in Public Schools - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 08:43 PM
It varies quite a bit between different Australian public schools. My friend's kids go to school that has been completely hijacked by CRE people and that is all that is taught. My friend has to be highly vigilant to ensure her kids don't attend classes and functions as the teachers just 'forget'. Last week she found her kids at the Christmas 'concert' without her permission - and it was a full on sermon, prayer service kinda thing.
Whereas at another friend's school, they teach kids about a different religion each term and when they do focus on Christian holidays they include information about how some of the traditions stem from Pagan practices and how Christmas is celebrated in different parts of the world.
Personally, I think it's good for kids to learn about different religions and cultures as long as it is inclusive of as many faiths as possible and is taught in a balanced way.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:43 AM
"I've always wanted to ask creationists how they reconcile the fact that man and dinosaurs lived side by side because it seems logical that if they did, many humans would have been eaten or stomped on by the dinosaurs, 'cause those things weren't exactly, you know, tiny..."

It's a wonderful mystery.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

I think it is a stupefyingly ignorant belief system that cannot accept the reality that non-avian dinosaurs and humans never coexisted.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #19
The Fly

They did in "Land of of the Lost"...
Old 12-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Yes, exactly. It's obvious if they did coexist there would have been cave paintings of them like there were of woolly mammoths and other animals that coexisted with man in the past. Simply put, the science does not support any of creationists bare assertions about the world being only 6 thousand years old, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
I think it is a stupefyingly ignorant belief system that cannot accept the reality that non-avian dinosaurs and humans never coexisted.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #21
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:43 AM
i honestly can't believe such misinformation is being taught!

as others have pointed out, this doesn't exist in america, though when i was in high school there was talk of offering a religion class. it was my senior year and i was really running out of interesting classes to take so i signed up for it. unfortunately, all the questions that arose (would it be all religions or just christianity? what about separation of church and state?) meant the class was never offered. personally i thought since it was just an elective it was fine, no one had to take it and there were plenty of other classes to take, no one would've been forced to take it.

i do consider myself a christian, though i often find myself at odds with the church when people spew this creationism crap, saying dinosaurs walked with man, and telling outright lies (dna didn't exist back then? wtf!) when someone points out how much literal interpretations clash with scientific facts about the universe.

if people want to continue allowing these religious classes, they should be supervised with a teacher (if not just outright being taught by one) and cannot say things that are not true and contradicted by scientific facts. we know the universe is millions of years old, not thousands; and it's reckless to allow evangelicals to continue spreading these lies, potentially creating more ignorant people.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
New research shows three in 10 Australians believe dinosaurs and man did exist at the same time. The survey, by the Federation of Australian Scientific and Technological Societies, shows a "worrying" lack of basic scientific principles.
I had no idea the number was that high, I'm terribly disappointed in that.

RE seminars, at least in my experience, were a rare occurrence that no student or teacher ever took that seriously. They were a totally Christian affair, typically hosted by some over the top twentysomething evangelicals who had a hard time convincing the mostly indifferent students that Jesus was well cool. There was always the option to not attend (under parent's permission, that is) and the lunchtime those days would generally be spent discussing how embarrassing the whole thing was. I'm not sure how differently they've developed since, but I don't think they caused too many conversions at my school.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Moonlit_Angel

I've always wanted to ask creationists how they reconcile the fact that man and dinosaurs lived side by side because it seems logical that if they did, many humans would have been eaten or stomped on by the dinosaurs, 'cause those things weren't exactly, you know, tiny...

Your question?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Private schools are welcome to teach as much religion as they want. Since they are privately-funded institutions, they are also welcome to teach as much fake earth history pseudoscience as they want to.

Pushing Creationism (giving it a capital C is really being generous here) in public schools is just as bad as more conservative school boards trying to delete Thomas Jefferson from their textbooks, simply because he had a lot of anti-big business opinions and liked a little bit of the black pussahhh on the side.

Hey, I don't think any teacher would argue that America isn't behind in science and math education compared with the 'perfect' 1950s, so the desire to replace vital hard science topics with fuzzy all-seeing creator propaganda is a bit odd, even among religious educators.

I guess as long as we're pious it doesn't matter if Indian / Chinese children are better at math and science than our kids?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Moonlit_Angel

I've always wanted to ask creationists how they reconcile the fact that man and dinosaurs lived side by side because it seems logical that if they did, many humans would have been eaten or stomped on by the dinosaurs, 'cause those things weren't exactly, you know, tiny...

Your question?
Yes? What about it? Do you want me to respond to your answer to it?

Angela
Old 01-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #26
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Moonlit_Angel

Your question?
Are you a creationist?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
"I've always wanted to ask creationists how they reconcile the fact that man and dinosaurs lived side by side because it seems logical that if they did, many humans would have been eaten or stomped on by the dinosaurs, 'cause those things weren't exactly, you know, tiny..."

It's a wonderful mystery.
You are bad at your job.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Are you a creationist?

Yes,

and it is all a mystery to me
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #29
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Yes,

and it is all a mystery to me
Are you a creationist in the sense that you think the Earth is 6000ish years old, or in the sense that the Earth may be billions of years old, evolution occurred but God was the spark behind it?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Are you a creationist in the sense that you think the Earth is 6000ish years old, or in the sense that the Earth may be billions of years old, evolution occurred but God was the spark behind it?
I've never understood the stupidity of evolution and the existence of God having to be mutually exclusive.

As much as religion talks about tolerance, many who support 'creationism' are just looking for an excuse to view something in black-and-white terms. I wonder if the thought ever crosses their minds that such a wonderful and cool guy like God just might have set the whole blue marble rolling and let the animals figure it out for themselves.

There's room for hard science and religion to exist side-by-side if one is capable of recognizing the grey areas and nuance in reality. Why try and read the Bible literally when it's obviously a thousand-year game of "telephone", passed down over the years and collected into one book?