Rejected By Hollywood For Playing Jesus? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Rejected By Hollywood For Playing Jesus?

Playing Jesus, or being associated with that particular movie? I can't believe he couldn't/can't get work in Hollywood, he's a beautiful looking man. Never saw the Passion Of The Christ...I think I saw a movie he was in w/ JLo? I did see Frequency.

Is it that or maybe he's just not an actor who doesn't fit into some Hollywood mold? Mel Gibson got work after Passion- and even with all of his issues, he certainly hasn't been rejected by many people in Hollywood. He seems to have plenty of defenders and friends there. His career now is obviously more about those issues. What about other actors who have played Jesus? Of course there haven't been all that many, lately.

The man who played Jesus Christ in Mel Gibson's much criticized "Passion of the Christ," says the role has been his "cross to bear," and that Hollywood has shunned him ever since making the film.

Jim Caviezel, who, before taking the role of Jesus, was a rising Hollywood star with strong reviews for his work in "Frequency," and "The Thin Red Line," told an audience at First Baptist Church of Orlando on Saturday that Gibson begged him to reconsider taking the gig.

"He said, 'You'll never work in this town again,'" Caviezel remembered. "I told him, 'We all have to embrace our crosses.'"

Caviezel recounted a similar story in 2004, when he spoke of the encounter in an interview with the 700 Club.

"The next day, he said, 'I want you to be aware of what you are going to go through. You may never work again.' He said that several times publicly. I told him, 'Mel, this is what I believe. We all have a cross to carry. I have to carry my own cross. If we don't carry our crosses, we are going to be crushed under the weight of it. So let's go and do it.' And we began with the film.

The filmmaker proved prophetic; the film was slammed for perceived anti-semitism, and roles have been hard to come by, as Caviezel says he was "rejected by [his] own industry."

Following "Passion," he starred in the small thriller "Unknown," had a supporting role in the Denzel Washington film "Deja Vu," and headlined absolute bombs "Outlander," and "The Stoning of Soraya M."

Jim Caviezel speaks: Jim Caviezel speaks in Orlando - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Was he "shunned" because he played Jesus or is it because he gave shows like the 700 Club respect?

Or maybe just because he made some really poor movie choices since then?

According to IMBD he has 4 movies in production and he's done 11 total since after Passion.

To me it sounds like he's just trying to be a martyr.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Yeah, I can't find much sympathy for someone who's basically saying "I'm not as famous as I was supposed to be."
Old 05-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Maybe he should get rid of that shitty last name.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Maybe he should get rid of that shitty last name.
What about Zach Galifianakis ? Not saying that's shitty-but difficult to pronounce or spell? He could have been cool and just called himself Zach G.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

[QUOTE=BVS;7195370]Was he "shunned" because he played Jesus or is it because he gave shows like the 700 Club respect?/QUOTE]

Hollywood actors do a lot crazier things, without repercussion, than appear on 700 club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
To me it sounds like he's just trying to be a martyr.
Or it could be that he's telling the truth the way he sees it.

Who knows...
Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Or, you know, maybe he stopped getting work after starring in a shitty movie because he starred in a shitty movie. Just like countless other actors who have lost work after starring in shitty movies.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

He was a costar with denzel right after the passion... the movie stunk. What acting did he do in passion anyways? He just pretended to get the shit beat out of him for a few hours.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
But the actor noted that Gibson wasn't far off the mark when he spoke of the damage playing Jesus could do to his career.

"Jesus is as controversial now as he has ever been," Caviezel said. "Not much has changed in 2,000 years. The same group of people that wanted Jesus dead are the same people that wield a lot of influence in Hollywood now."

Old 05-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

He drove the pace car for the 2002 Indianapolis 500. All downhill after that.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Robert Powell was hurt by portraying Jesus because of how incredible the performance was (typecast) and his likeness (image search him).

While Willem Dafoe and Caviezel played controversial Jesus roles, only one of those roles was actually offensive to liberal Christians or a general non-Christian audience.I can't recall a single movie that has offended me as much as that horrid piece of tripe. And that's not even getting into the antisemitism argument.

I literally couldn't stomach that shit. And believe me...that's saying a lot. I don't think it is his relation to Mel Gibson that hurts him or even playing Jesus. It was that he made a slasher flick...starring as Jesus...and agreed to it.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Maybe I'm just really tired-but where did you see the last part, about the same group that wanted Jesus dead...? I can't see it in the Sentinel article. I saw the 2000 years part.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
I don't think it is his relation to Mel Gibson that hurts him or even playing Jesus. It was that he made a slasher flick...starring as Jesus...and agreed to it.
I think that's such a good point. I've never seen the movie because I'm not into slasher movies, or into seeing Jesus being depicted that way for the sake of anyone's agenda. It's all been written, I can read it and imagine it and it means just what it means for me-not for Mel Gibson or anyone else.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm biased against it, that's for sure.

I can't really be offended (by much) or grossed out under most all circumstances.
I have a crude sense of humor, am not remotely religious, and am surely a proponent of free speech and against most all censorship. In other words, I am basically game for most anything. But I literally couldn't deal with that movie.

Maybe it was my old Christianity and residual affection for Jesus coming through...I just COMPLETELY detested it.

I would say that people should just watch Jesus of Nazareth. Maybe it's a fairy tale too but at least kids can learn something from it w/r/t how to treat others.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Caviezel could also be having a hard time in Hollywood because he doesn't do any sex scenes, which are common in movies. I remember he said he won't do them when Passion came out.

I didn't like Passion at all. The way I see it, if a non-Christian who knew nothing of the life of Christ saw it, they wouldn't understand much of why Jesus was crucified. Passion was made for committed Christians and not for a wider audience, thus making it exclusive. Not a good idea for a movie.