Random FYM Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about that 'good guy with a gun' taking down the St. Cloud attacker?

Yeah, see, here's the thing: unlike your average gun owner, that officer was properly and professionally trained, and therefore knew precisely how to take out the threat without putting other people in harm's way.

Also, I"ll remind you that in many of the attacks in recent years that DID include some maniac armed with guns, if they didn't kill themselves, they were often stopped by people simply tackling them and holding them down.

Yeah, see, here's the thing: unlike your average gun owner, that officer was properly and professionally trained, and therefore knew precisely how to take out the threat without putting other people in harm's way.

Also, I"ll remind you that in many of the attacks in recent years that DID include some maniac armed with guns, if they didn't kill themselves, they were often stopped by people simply tackling them and holding them down.

He didn't have to be carrying, but chose to.

No sense in arguing. I'd rather be in the mall with an average citizen who has a gun. Chances are if they have a license to conceal carry the know how to use it. Maybe just pulling it will do the trick and scare off the attacker

No sense in arguing. I'd rather be in the mall with an average citizen who has a gun. Chances are if they have a license to conceal carry the know how to use it. Maybe just pulling it will do the trick and scare off the attacker

I'd rather be in a mall where nobody has a gun.

Why my 10 month old needs to be in a mall with guns AND that should be seen as a good thing I will never understand.

So? Even taking that into account, the fact remains that he's still far more capable of handling that kind of takedown than your average citizen who ISN'T a trained law enforcement official.

That was point as well. I've been very vocal in that I don't think people should not have guns, I just think properly trained and qualified people should.

Yep. I have zero desire to ever personally own a gun, myself, but if somebody knows how to handle a gun responsibly, I have no problem with them owning one if they so wish.

I do not get people demanding to carry their guns in every single freaking public place imaginable, though.

How about that 'good guy with a gun' taking down the St. Cloud attacker?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

We mean the big 2nd amendment advocate that strongly believes citizens should have a right to carry guns to protect themselves and others from others that want to harm other people including trying to kill them, even without guns. Sometimes they use bombs and ice cream trucks.

No doubt about it. A good guy with a gun saved the day. You can't really argue that fact.

Have yourselves a pat on the back, fellas. You're now 1 for 5,000.

Yeah, but what if every good guy had a gun????

TN65064lg.jpg

But in mass shooting type situations, the perpetrator is often planning on being dead by the end of it anyway, either by suicide or suicide-by-cop, so I doubt another person with a gun would deter them much.

Additionally, an average citizen with a gun may know how to use it properly at a gun range or in some other controlled setting where they know what's going to happen before it happens, but in an unexpected real-life scenario where the citizen is afraid and anxious, I wouldn't count on them being able to just coolly take out the perpetrator. I would count on there being misfire. It could make the situation more dangerous than it already was.

The idea that a "good guy" with a gun will save you is much like that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa has a rock that keeps away bears.

And all the supporters of keeping Americans more heavily armed than a normal country's military are the gullible Homers of the situation.

Here's a hypothetical. You are in an active shooter situation with one assailant who has people cornered and is popping them off one by one. You are in the crowd. A mortally wounded concealed carry holder hands you his gun. Gives you instructions on how to use it. Maybe you have experience with firearms or not at all. But the dying man has give you instructions on how to empty the clip of 9 shots.

Do you use the firearm to kill or wound the assailant?

Do you hand it to somebody else?

Do you take your chances and do nothing, hoping the Swat team breaks in at any moment?

I have some experience with a 9 mm handgun, so I take the shot.

Here's a hypothetical. You are in an active shooter situation with one assailant who has people cornered and is popping them off one by one. You are in the crowd. A mortally wounded concealed carry holder hands you his gun. Gives you instructions on how to use it.

Bam! You're dead. The talking gave you away.

Every hypothetical, has several hypothetical outcomes.

Well, considering I've never touched a gun, I'm not about to take that kind of risk holding one and trying to use it. Even if I was given all the instructions, the guy telling them to me could be wrong in how he gives them (especially if he's mortally wounded and unable to think or talk clearly as a result).

Instead, my focus would be on either saving the wounded guy if possible (or at least getting him out of the line of fire, anyway, so he doesn't wind up having more bullets in him than what's already there), or, if I see the situation is hopeless for him, I'll take cover and try and look for some means of escape if there's any.

You do that. And if you miraculously happen to have the perfect aim to take the shooter down and manage not to hit any innocent people or random parts of the place in the process, then I'll be impressed.

(Course, there's another possibility: the police/SWAT arrive at that moment, you're the first one they see with a weapon, they naturally assume you could be the shooter, and they either threaten to shoot or actually do shoot at you.

But nah, we all know that those kinds of mistakes have NEVER happened before, right?)

Here's a hypothetical. You are in an active shooter situation with one assailant who has people cornered and is popping them off one by one. You are in the crowd. A mortally wounded concealed carry holder hands you his gun. Gives you instructions on how to use it. Maybe you have experience with firearms or not at all. But the dying man has give you instructions on how to empty the clip of 9 shots.

Do you use the firearm to kill or wound the assailant?

Do you hand it to somebody else?

Do you take your chances and do nothing, hoping the Swat team breaks in at any moment?

This is dumb.

You try to kill him.

That doesn't change the fact that if the first guy didn't have the gun the entire bullshit hypothetical scenario is for naught.

Well this sounds totally plausible.

Hypothetical situation:
All other civilized countries implement gun law restrictions and all these countries have a lower rate of death by gun than the US.
Do you also implement gun laws or do you sit around mourning victims?

Hypothetical: you create these gun restriction laws in the United States. Does gun violence change? Or is it already ingrained in the culture?

Personally I think it'd take three or four decades to see gun violence rates in the US meet the rest of the developed world.

Here's a hypothetical: You are in a country that has very restrictive gun laws. There's no active shooter, it now turned into a guy wielding a knife.

Now what's harder to defend against? A nutjob with a gun or a nutjob with a knife?

Back
Top Bottom