Random FYM Thread - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #406
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,376
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Did he? Reporting on this seems to be super vague.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #407
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 08:14 PM
Yes, he did. From the NYT report:

"As soon as they sat down in his room, still wrapped in their winter jackets and hats, Louis C.K. asked if he could take out his penis, the women said.

They thought it was a joke and laughed it off. “And then he really did it,” Ms. Goodman said in an interview with The New York Times. “He proceeded to take all of his clothes off, and get completely naked, and started masturbating.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/a...isconduct.html

And today: "These stories are true."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/a...statement.html
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #408
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,376
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Well, that is bad. Again I offer zero bias towards Louis C K, I'm not like... a fan or something.

I mean he summed it up himself pretty well (and kudos to him I guess for being able to respond properly, unlike captain creepo Kevin Spacey who gives homosexuals a bad name as his defense mechanism). It's the power over somebody that makes it inappropriate.

CNN reporting (which I read) made it seem like he asked and was rejected by female comedians, and subsequently during a phone conversation was heard masturbating on the phone. Because if this were the case I would say it's inappropriate but not hang-him-at-the-stake-for-being-Weinstein who I hope rots in prison.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #409
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Well, that is bad. Again I offer zero bias towards Louis C K, I'm not like... a fan or something.

I mean he summed it up himself pretty well (and kudos to him I guess for being able to respond properly, unlike captain creepo Kevin Spacey who gives homosexuals a bad name as his defense mechanism). It's the power over somebody that makes it inappropriate.

CNN reporting (which I read) made it seem like he asked and was rejected by female comedians, and subsequently during a phone conversation was heard masturbating on the phone. Because if this were the case I would say it's inappropriate but not hang-him-at-the-stake-for-being-Weinstein who I hope rots in prison.
I would submit that sometimes a Louis CK is one step away from becoming a Weinstein. After all the more you get away with it and are shielded by a cloud of power and secrecy, the more you are emboldened. Maybe Harvey just started out masturbating over the phone too. Louis CK just didn't have the same level of power and money that Harvey did.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #410
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Also in that first NY Times article, read about the woman he was talking to when he started masturbating over the phone. She called him for professional reasons, to invite him on her show. And he just randomly starts doing that like he just has the right to. It's not as if they were interested in each other personally. It's definitely inappropriate, to say the least.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #411
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,376
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Random FYM Thread

I think you're working under the assumption that everyone is evil. You're doing exactly what I fear - someone like Louis C K is now being grouped with a rapist and a child molester. It's not a "slippery slope."

Weinstein is a serial molester and rapist. This isn't excusing what Louis C K did. You can't group those two types of people together. Sure, power might embolden someone to do something like that, but to categorically group every single offender with no mercy regardless of severity of offense into the same bucket isn't the type of society I want to live in. Especially in the face of rehabilitation and remorse. Weinstein is beyond repair. Louis C K is not.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #412
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I think you're working under the assumption that everyone is evil. You're doing exactly what I fear - someone like Louis C K is now being grouped with a rapist and a child molester. It's not a "slippery slope."

Weinstein is a serial molester and rapist. This isn't excusing what Louis C K did. You can't group those two types of people together. Sure, power might embolden someone to do something like that, but to categorically group every single offender with no mercy regardless of severity of offense into the same bucket isn't the type of society I want to live in. Especially in the face of rehabilitation and remorse. Weinstein is beyond repair. Louis C K is not.
No I'm not, I don't do that. I think Louis CK has serious issues. He's not a rapist or a child molester. All I'm saying is that getting away with things can make some people feel they can get away with even more. Do you think Harvey started out as a rapist? I don't.

It just bothers me that anyone takes the attitude that Louis CK was "just" masturbating over the phone so somehow that's OK compared to Harvey. It is a spectrum, yes it's a wide swath but it is. In his statement Louis CK seems to get why what he did was wrong. It's all about abuse of power and position.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #413
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Plus he wasn't "just" masturbating over the phone. And he wasn't dating her or hooking up with her or anything of the sort. It had to do with work. Then oops, random masturbating? That's abuse of power and position.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #414
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,376
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
No I'm not, I don't do that. I think Louis CK has serious issues. He's not a rapist or a child molester. All I'm saying is that getting away with things can make some people feel they can get away with even more. Do you think Harvey started out as a rapist? I don't.

It just bothers me that anyone takes the attitude that Louis CK was "just" masturbating over the phone so somehow that's OK compared to Harvey. It is a spectrum, yes it's a wide swath but it is. In his statement Louis CK seems to get why what he did was wrong. It's all about abuse of power and position.


Comparatively it was "just" masturbating on the phone. One is rape. It's not "just" masturbating on the phone if you're mot comparing it, but we are currently in the midst of a movement where each and every event should and will be compared. Louis C K deserves punishment. Not the same punishment that Weinstein or Spacey gets.

Yes I do think Weinstein started out as a rapist. Or, at least, with the scummy attitude and psychology that permits one to be a rapist. When someone asks "hey can I jerk off in front of you" and proceeds to do it, there's a totally different psychology of self-awareness of what kind of harm you're causing to someone than when someone goes and rapes someone else. Entirely different psychology, and an entirely different kind of person does what Weinstein has done.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #415
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Well, that is bad. Again I offer zero bias towards Louis C K, I'm not like... a fan or something.



CNN reporting (which I read) made it seem like he asked and was rejected by female comedians, and subsequently during a phone conversation was heard masturbating on the phone. Because if this were the case I would say it's inappropriate but not hang-him-at-the-stake-for-being-Weinstein who I hope rots in prison.

Sources today are not reliable. I try not to rush in with any opinion on an incident that can wait 24 to 48 hours for better and more sourcing. Medias are writing for bias that they believe their audience will reward them for with more views. Views equal money. Media goals are now views and ratings for the money.

So there is a question, if you care to answer it.
Does the CNN article give you any concern about the quality of their reporting?
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #416
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,376
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Sources today are not reliable. I try not to rush in with any opinion on an incident that can wait 24 to 48 hours for better and more sourcing. Medias are writing for bias that they believe their audience will reward them for with more views. Views equal money. Media goals are now views and ratings for the money.

So there is a question, if you care to answer it.
Does the CNN article give you any concern about the quality of their reporting?


Are you coming at me for reading CNN?

I frequently read CNN, but also read Fox News to see what the conservatives think. I don't read MSNBC because I don't need a bias to develop my progressive views for me. Otherwise, I carefully review all Facebook news posts, which include garbage like Brietbart, perhaps solid stuff from NPR, sometimes WaPo or NYT.

CNN is just where I go to see what's up in the world. The headline stuff that everyone will have. Mostly because I'm a fan of the readability of their mobile version of their website.

Does CNN concern me? Mightily. I'm highly skeptical of media in general. It exists for various reasons. Brietbart isn't news, its propaganda written at a 5th grade level. It's someone complaining. The authors at Brietbart write the way we would here on a web forum - with consciousness. It's a political machine. Different from Fox, which is more of a pandering to the right. CNN doesn't necessarily pander to the left or right (small left bias but it's easy to be biased against president cheetoh, and they're gradually moving more left), but rather, CNN panders to fear and emotion. It's the ultimate click bait news site, largely filled with garbage articles. For the last five years I have been taking screenshots on my phone of their dumb titles. Example: "Plane Drops 600 feet in 60 Seconds." This particular title was put in place after MH370 and MH7 went down for their various reasons. CNN was tipped to an incident where two aircraft accidentally had been operating at the same altitude headed into each other. One plane took a calm and communicated evasive maneuver by descending 1000 ft to its proper operating altitude. It did so at a rate of 600 ft / minute, which is in the ballpark of a typical descent velocity. If you do the math, you roughly jog at 600 ft per minute.

Anyway, I'm rambling. CNN (and other news media) have a plethora of this garbage. I also take screenshots of all their typos and fuck-ups, because I think it's a shame that they're supposed to be world class but manage thousands of errors because they're too focused on rushing garbage out of the oven before it's done cooking.

So, the quality of their reporting, does it concern me? Yes, it has for years. More than anyone else? Hell no. Understand who the players are and read at your own risk. It doesn't matter where you get your news from - it matters how you choose to receive it.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #417
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 11:14 PM
I have a random movie recommendation. I saw Lady Bird today and it is so good. I loved it. It's a real mother daughter thing too, really tough for me right now. Very touching movie.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #418
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 08:14 PM
It apparently now has the highest Rotten Tomatoes rating ever, toppling one of the Toy Story movies from its throne.
__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #419
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
It apparently now has the highest Rotten Tomatoes rating ever, toppling one of the Toy Story movies from its throne.
Yes it does. Saoirse Ronan's performance is just perfect. I love her anyway, loved her in Brooklyn. That was a good one too. She is so charming on screen, and so beautiful.

If I had kids I might have named a daughter Saoirse, it's such a beautiful Irish name (I'm Irish). I know spelling and pronunciation would be a pain for the child. Probably better as a middle name in the US.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #420
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Definitely so much racism in so many comments about Meghan Markle. It's gross.

Also she is one lucky woman, because Prince Harry.

She looks amazing in that photo too, holy smokes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/a...racism-n825516
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com