Random FYM Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suspect Nick is referring to the "I'm so different and so much more humble than the rest" nature of Obama's portrait. While I know zilch about art, that was my first reaction to it.

And frankly I reckon the leaves are just weird. I just don't associate his presidency with leaves... Can someone arty tell me the symbolic meaning of it?

Well, for one, those flowers certainly look Hawaiian. So perhaps it's meant to depict his Hawaiian roots, and they're clearly flourishing because he's being eaten up by them slowly.

I suspect Nick is referring to the "I'm so different and so much more humble than the rest" nature of Obama's portrait. While I know zilch about art, that was my first reaction to it.

And frankly I reckon the leaves are just weird. I just don't associate his presidency with leaves... Can someone arty tell me the symbolic meaning of it?

They represent the flowers and leaves found in Chicago, Hawaii, and Africa.

I think the artist probably painted Obama as he/she saw him. Don't think Obama dictated how he was portrayed , even though he is such a dictator.

Why can't Obama's portrait be dignified like our White Presidents?

John_F_Kennedy_Official_Portrait.jpg

What's that Timmy? That's the White House portrait and this one was for the National Portrait Gallery, and there's just a bunch of people either being stupid, racist, or both?

npg_99_75-jfk-hr_sm.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhh...

If you’re ever in DC, I do recommend a visit to the national portrait gallery.

The atrium is one of the more serene urban spaces you’re likely to come across.

IMG_3987.JPG

My Pete Souza Obama book arrived today, what a great book. There's a photo of Bono in the private dining room next to the Oval Office. He was having lunch with the President and Alicia Keys.

I'm looking for the page number now, can't find it. No index. I got a nice Michelle Obama photo book at Costco, I idolize that woman. I admit it.

Kennedy's White House portrait is lovely. Always been one of my favourites. That portrait is about the man.

The best one though is still the first, the Lansdowne portrait of George Washington at the National Portrait Gallery (there's a replica in the WH). Full of symbolism, this portrait is mostly about the country, its ideals, and what Washington did. You could teach an American history lesson just from what's in that painting.

Last edited:
I'm at the live Crazy Ex-Girlfeiend show tonight so have to DVR it. But I can't wait - thrilled to hear it's good. It's the first live TV musical I've had any interest in watching. I can sing the damned thing backward and sideways.

There are fewer more beautiful songs than “I Don’t Know How to Love Him.”

Sarah Bareillis is a goddess.

Yes it is beautiful isn't it. Four summers ago I saw Sara and John Legend within a couple of weeks of each other. At a waterfront venue. They were both incredible.

Brave will always be my favorite song of hers, it's very personal for me. And She Used To Be Mine from Waitress.

The actor who played Judas was the standout for me. He played Aaron Burr in Hamilton. Brandon Victor Dixon.

I preordered the soundtrack CD from Amazon this morning. I do still buy some CDs, I have a Bose radio CD player and my Mom can listen to that. It has the Bluetooth adapter, but my life being what it is I hardly ever listen to it. Don't listen to much music at all, other than when I can get out for a walk.

I would love to see Hamilton some day. Wish I could have seen it with the original cast.

Holy shit, that was GREAT. I am very picky about musicals, and that was like 800 times better than I was expecting.

I want to watch it again on demand. I've been watching clips on YouTube. Then I watched several clips of Sara singing She Used To Be Mine. It's such a brilliant song, and it just gets to me in a deeply personal way. Major ugly cry.

I'm waiting to see Stormy Daniels on The View and they said that Kendrick Lamar won a Pulitzer Prize. That's cool.

Ronan Farrow did too. He is a true journalist and a very smart man. Very good looking too.

Very good looking too.

i don't disagree with this (yea he's really hot), but this bit also kinda rubs me the wrong way. it would likely be considered rather tacky if i were to post the names of the female winners, and then out of nowhere add on a comment about their looks. especially considering the content of the articles they won the prize for. it's a prize for writing, their appearance is totally irrelevant to that accomplishment.

Jesus it was just a random comment based on being up since 4 am that wasn't meant to denigrate his accomplishment in any way. I mentioned first that he's smart, he could look like Quasimodo for all that I care . I'll edit that out to comply.

Considering that women here have often been referred to as the c word over the years, and the woman running for President a witch...hardly a major transgression by comparison.

I wrote about four different posts trying to explain how angry that made me and ended up feeling like that was the only appropriate one.

Jesus it was just a random comment based on being up since 4 am that wasn't meant to denigrate his accomplishment in any way. I mentioned first that he's smart, he could look like Quasimodo for all that I care . I'll edit that out to comply.

Considering that women here have often been referred to as the c word over the years, and the woman running for President a witch...hardly a major transgression by comparison.

i know you didn't have any negative intention with it and if i implied that, i didn't mean to. i also didn't mean to imply that it was anything major. i'm not offended by it. it just irked me a bit.

however like i said, consider if i posted that a female scientist had just won the nobel prize for chemistry, and tacked on "and she's really hot too" at the end of it. completely irrelevant and unnecessary and i have a strong suspicion that i would rightfully be called out for it being sexist.

if it's sexist one way, reversing the genders doesn't make it suddenly not-sexist.

as far as your second point goes, i certainly have never called anyone on this board a cunt with any sort of malice or in any way other than affectionately (like the aussies do). nor have i ever referred to any woman who wasn't in costume, or in a movie or nursery rhyme as a "witch". so i don't know why you brought that up in reference to anything i have said. in any case we've been over this more than once before. people of all genders on this board regularly call people dicks, cocks, pricks etc without any issue whatsoever. it's absolutely a double standard if being called a cunt is a grievous, malicious insult on one hand but it's totally fine to call someone a dick. i hate double standards of all kinds. for the record i think completely ridiculous to get that offended over the use of either term.

I wrote about four different posts trying to explain how angry that made me and ended up feeling like that was the only appropriate one.

my post made you that angry? i don't understand how that's possible. please elaborate. i'd actually like to have this discussion.

Last edited:
Oh so you think it's ridiculous to find the C-word insulting so that means it's Ok to use it because the Aussies do?

I find it just as offensive every single time one of the Aussies use it, no matter how culturally normal it is for them to do so. Fucking golliwogs don't seem to be considered offensive over there, either, or at least weren't til recently. That doesn't mean they're OK.

Dave, honestly I don't give a damn that it irks you. I have much bigger fish to fry in my life. I'm here simply in desperation for a diversion in what I'm dealing with. But I'm done with it again. Don't need or want the bullshit. And that's what it is.

MrsS, hope you are coping ok, I know it’s the worst time.

Ronan Farrow totally looks like Frank Sinatra.

Back
Top Bottom